A Balanced Diet at Work

Options
I try to eat breakfast and lunch at work and I try not to eat out whenever I can. My diet is really basic and simple but I've been having a lot of problems this year making it through the morning without feeling like I'm starving to death. A lot of it is mental - if I'm crazy busy I don't even notice but if I have a "normal" day at the desk, 11am is a really tough hour.

here is my basic diet / regimen :

wake up at 4:30a - drink 2 cups of coffee with a splash of whole milk (I will throw something at you if you suggest I change this :) )

7:40a - arrive at work, eat yoplait blended yogurt, 2 small golden delicious apples, and 1 cup crispix cereal

11:30a - oscar mayer ham and cheese (2 slices) with wheat bread (I forget the brand, big slices), 1 single serve bag of sun chips, and about 8oz of fruit juice (currently OS Cran Grape),

2p-3p whole wheat crackers and carrots in the afternoon for snack

7p - Dinner - whatever the wife makes. Typically add a glass of Franzia (don't judge me :) ) after dinner

I feel like I am missing about 100-200 calories of protein in the morning but I have read eggs don't keep so I'm not sure how to manage that situation.

For reference, I prepare everything except for the apples on the weekends and then just pick single servings of everything each morning to take to work. The apples I slice each morning with a slicer and then bag for the trip into the office.

Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs are great, and if you are keeping your ham and cheese cool you can use that same container. About 80 calories for an egg and 12g protein.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I agree with hardboiled eggs. I also use cheese sticks and protein powder with greek yogurt. You can also make thicker omelets, slice them into finger food sized slices and chill them overnight before bringing them with you.
  • TimeWarp9
    TimeWarp9 Posts: 91
    Options
    Sounds like you are like me - I definitely need protein in the morning! Hard boiled eggs and Greek yogurt are my go to. Sometimes (especially on cold, rainy days) I'll have oatmeal and add some protein powder. Tuna (in the pouch) is also a good 'take to work' source of protein. I put it on top of my salad from the co cafeteria or just eat it straight from the pack.
  • jcwillia1
    jcwillia1 Posts: 5
    Options
    I like the hardboiled egg idea - I'll try it - thanks.
  • Jul158
    Jul158 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Although I consider nuts more of a fat source than a protein source, they do an excellent job of holding me over with a little additional protein. I would add in an ounce of nuts if you account for the calories (..get rid of the crackers and any 'cheap' carbs) in the morning to help hold you over. I would change the Yoplait yogurt to Greek yogurt (I think Yoplait makes some now?) for even more protein and about the same amount of calories.
    I have hard boiled eggs often as well, excellent choice!
  • katiej080810
    Options
    What about Kashi Go Lean Crunch instead of crispix? I think they even boast on their box that one serving has "as much protein as an egg!". It is delicious and probably has more calories than the crispex but you could probably cut out one of the apples to make up the difference.
  • colivingcy
    colivingcy Posts: 2
    Options
    My favorite are deviled eggs with cucumbers and cherry tomatoes, fruit salad with a tablespoon of yoghurt or just a handful of nuts, seeds and raisins with an apple. Oh ! and brown pita pockets filled with homemade avocado dip and chopped up tomato sprinkled with cayenne pepper. Yum !

Read about these healthy breakfast ideas, and then came up with my own. They can also be taken to work and eaten as snacks.
    http://www.barbarakarafokas.com/1/post/2013/05/healthy-breakfast-ideas-for-losing-weight.html
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Greek yogurt and a higher fiber cereal?