I LOVE Zumba...but my feet don't!

Options
I started Zumba-ing about 3 months ago. I love it, it's fun, it gets my heart pumping and when I isolate the core muscles, I really feel them working. I'm sore the next day or so. Perfect! But, the one big hinderance I have that I don't look forward to is my feet start KILLING me. They hurt worse than some of my muscles do!

I've tried a couple different shoes, I had Wal-Mart brand Champions, then switched to New Balance cross-trainers. Still have the same ache and pain in the arches of my feet. I actually went without shoes once (just socks), and my feet didn't hurt one bit, but I was slipping a little too much for my and my neighboring Zumba dancers' safety!

Anyone have any suggestions or similar experiences? Why would sneakers that support the foot hurt, but going without any support not hurt??!

Replies

• meshaffer
    meshaffer Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You may need to look for aerobic shoes. They are smoother on the bottom (similar to socks) which allow you to glide a little better. I noticed an immediate difference for not only my feet, but my knees. It helped me from stopping short, etc.
  • MrsMarvelous
    MrsMarvelous Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    you can try dance shoes.. a lot of people in my class have purchased dance shoes you can move easily in them and you can get shoes with or with out arch supports
  • trinityj1
    trinityj1 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Ballet slippers or jazz shoes would definitely work well, too. It is dance after all. Or bare feet.
  • healthydoseofglitter
    Options
    Perhaps dance shoes may help, or a sneaker with less tread on the bottom (i.e, puma). My zumba instructor recommened dance shoes or the pumas. I find my feet don't hurt as much when barefoot doing the videos at home, just be careful with your ankle.
  • chandra303
    Options
    My instructors said to get shoes with a round circle on the bottom. The Zumba website sells Zumba shoes. I found a good pair at Famous Footwear. Famous has a few pairs of Nike ones. Puma also makes some.
  • cookiejones
    Options
    I've been teaching for 2 years, and when I started my feet hurt too :( I'd advise what others have, the circular tread or even dance shoes. Perhaps dance on the ball of your foot less, that seems to put pressure on your arches. When you step, try to plant with your whole foot. It makes the move more aerobic and less 'dancy' but it distributes your weight across your whole foot so no particular part is taking all the pressure.

SW 225 lbs
    CW 155 lbs
    Long term goal 145 lbs
  • rockabyesarojane
    Options
    It could very well be either the size or the amount of arch support. If you are flat footed or high arched then you need to know that going in and ask the people at the store which shoes are better for the type of support that YOU need.
    Also, as I discovered when I went to get fitted for running shoes, you typically need to go up a half or a whole size from the size you would normally wear for street shoes. When you are using them as an exercise tool your feet expand and they need the extra space otherwise you could have pain or numbness (my toes kept going numb on the treadmill)
    I now have running shoes that are a whole size bigger than my regular out and about shoes and it's TONS better! I can workout more effectively now, with better stamina and no worries of blisters afterwards! See if you can find a shoe store that does gait analysis and measures your foot/ arch so that they can point you in the right direction. Most places do not charge for that service, they just want people to be in the proper shoe.

Another safe bet for any type of dance aerobics is always a jazz sneaker.
  • Reenie896
    Reenie896 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    you HAVE to get Nike Musique shoes...they are about $60.00 but an awesome shoe! That is what my Zumba instructor recommended to me. I'm going to be buying my second pair soon. They have them all over, pretty much where ever they sell Nike shoes. I got a 9.5 as opposed to my regular size 9 because when you work out your foot tends to swell. So think about that when buying shoes!!

http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/?cp=usns_CSE_081109_Froogle&l=shop,pdp,ctr-inline/cid-1/pid-192952/pgid-192952&CAWELAID=377770001#l=shop,pdp,ctr-inline/cid-1/pid-192952/pgid-192952

there is a link to the Nike store. They come in black and also white and they also have different accent colors.
  • Scubasab
    Scubasab Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I just started doing ZUMBA and noticed I was gliding as easily as I should! Thanks for all of the helpful tips!!! I will definitely have to check this out more and until than I will use my PUMA'S instead of my NIKE'S!!! :flowerforyou:
  • rebecky27
    rebecky27 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips, everyone!! I now know what to look for when heading out to the shoe store! Love this site and all of you that make it what it is!!
  • itsmenatalie
    itsmenatalie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I'm a Zumba instructor and I LOVE my Capezio Dansneakers. They provide support, and have very little tread so I can twist and turn as needed.
  • cococab
    cococab Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Zumba for 6 mos and my feet are really starting to feel pain every time now too. I have bought 2 Zumba shoes from the Zumba.com website and they seem to make my feet hurt worse, I think because of lack of support (I am very flat footed), I also bought the Nike Mystique, nope, those hurt too. I'm back to wearing my cross training NB again. I am getting discouraged because I am getting pain to the ball of my foot under my toes and also to the sides, the sides hurt so much I wonder if I'm getting bunions or calluses?? It really sucks!
  • SoCalDM
    SoCalDM Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm a Zumba instructor with a background in ballet & jazz. It's my opinion that Zumba is just really hard on women's feet! Many instructors I know report more pain in the right foot than left... not surprising as the movement always starts to the right. I'm currently having to take a break from all impact exercise because of foot issues. I've tried Bloch, Capezio Rockits, Ryka, Nike, and Asics shoes. None of them are good for both the twisting, "dancey" movements and impact. It's important your shoes fit loosely in the toe box!!! I won't be going back to my jazz / hip hop sneakers as they are too narrow. No more split sole shoes, either - they don't have enough support. (Perhaps, some of this is due to age. My podiatrist says anyone over 40 needs good arch support & cushion in the toe box.) I add $35 sole inserts to every pair of shoes for help with impact. He recommended Nikes with the spin spot, I haven't tried them yet. It sounds like you have the kind of pain I do. It's good to see a podiatrist as other doctors are not familiar with the type of injury that comes from high impact cardio. In the meantime, elevate, ice, repeat. Good luck!!
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I agree that Zumba is tough on women's feet! My best friend is a Zumba instructor and she has had several soft-tissue injuries in her feet despite being very vigilant and getting shoes just for Zumba and everything.

Lots of stretching, ice-downs and better shoes should help. Don't get cross-trainers - those don't have the flexibility your feet need for Zumba.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    you HAVE to get Nike Musique shoes...they are about $60.00 but an awesome shoe! That is what my Zumba instructor recommended to me. I'm going to be buying my second pair soon. They have them all over, pretty much where ever they sell Nike shoes. I got a 9.5 as opposed to my regular size 9 because when you work out your foot tends to swell. So think about that when buying shoes!!

http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/?cp=usns_CSE_081109_Froogle&l=shop,pdp,ctr-inline/cid-1/pid-192952/pgid-192952&CAWELAID=377770001#l=shop,pdp,ctr-inline/cid-1/pid-192952/pgid-192952

there is a link to the Nike store. They come in black and also white and they also have different accent colors.

I started out using a pair of cross-trainers for Zumba (New Balance) but had a lot of knee pain due to the twisting motions and my shoes being too stiff/grabbing too much. I now have a pair of Nike Musiques (clearnace at Zappos - $35) and they made a tremendous difference in ease of motion. I did have some arch pain while using them, but now that I have the same arch support inserts that I use for walking/running, I've been fine.
  • mystikalbeanz
    mystikalbeanz Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    bump
  • karynvan
    Options
    I just started doing Zumba, and of course have been wearing the wrong shoes- Asics running shoes. Half way through the class, the balls of my feet burn, and my middle toes ache. Since I am 48 and haven't done Zumba before, I blamed it on being out of shape, not being in my 20s anymore, and figured it would get better with every class. I was WRONG! It just got worse. I want to tell you that I purchased Sofsole Airr Orthotic Womens performance insoles from Olympia Sports yesterday. The Salesperson sold me the max cushioning and medium arch model. There is even a gel in the heel. I slipped them into my running shoe and had no pain during class today. I am very happy!! I also researched and ordered online Zumba shoes (in anticipation that the orthotics didn't work- I was skeptical). Based on multiple reviews, I will be trying the Ryka Transition and the NB 867. FYI, the NB shoe comes in 1/2 sizes up to 11 which is unheard of.
  • karynvan
    Options
    I tried the Ryka Transition sneakers- although they were comfortable and my feet didn't hurt, there wasn't enough ventilation in the shoe for Zumba. My feet were very hot by the end of the class. I also want to comment that these run a little small. I ordered a size 11 and they were snug- much more so than the Asics running shoes that are roomier in the toe area.
  • RachitaVJ
    RachitaVJ Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    This post is almost a year old but there is excellent advice in here. I have high arches and a lot of body weight so I am currently searching for the right shoe. I feel like as long as I can move around and lose some weight, then my feet will hurt less. But in the meantime, in order to lose weight.... I have to hurt my feet. Haha... catch-22 of sorts.

Do you guys have any more recommendations? Ones that have a big toe box, and can comfortably fit arch support inserts? Thanks!
  • RachitaVJ
    RachitaVJ Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    This post is almost a year old but there is excellent advice in here. I have high arches and a lot of body weight so I am currently searching for the right shoe. I feel like as long as I can move around and lose some weight, then my feet will hurt less. But in the meantime, in order to lose weight.... I have to hurt my feet. Haha... catch-22 of sorts.

Do you guys have any more recommendations? Ones that have a big toe box, and can comfortably fit arch support inserts? Thanks!