Coping with 1lb a week :/

Options
I am trying to remain positive as I have been working out daily (sometimes twice a day) for about 3 months now and have been consistent on losing only about 1 sometimes 2 pounds a week. I am keeping my calories at 1200 goal per day and most days (6 out of 7) am under that goal. I am proud of myself for sticking to the plan and feel my body changing as I now have endurance, strength, and can tell my body is changing but the numbers are not what I hoped for. I wanted to be at my goal of 30 pounds down by now but perhaps this is how it's supposed to be to have "real" change in my health and habits? I know that ideally "they" say it's healthy to lose 1 to 2 pounds a week in order to keep it off but I am mentally having a hard time with it. I am 5'8 and started at 202lbs and am down to 186. I will keep up the work and it has been WORK as I have cried and yelled at the DVDs (body pump and Jillian) it's just a little depressing to not see the numbers go down as fast. My mom is doing the 17 day diet and has already gone from 203 to 189....which has also depressed me a bit. Even though I know her's is likely water weight mostly. Anyways, anyone else dealing with the same type thing or have any suggestions?

Replies

• JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I know I am new here, but from what I have read at your weight and not to far from goal you are doing great to lose 1 lb a week. Keep up the good work!
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    1 pound a week is fantastic. I have been losing weight since November and I am averaging about 1 pound a week and i'm happy with it. This is a lifestyle, do not rush to get to your goal. Keep doing what you are doing and the weight will come off.

And hell, prepare yourself for weeks with no loss. It happens. It's okay. Look at the overall picture and as long as you are losing, be happy!
  • missshyeviolett
    missshyeviolett Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Try looking at it the other way- if you were GAINING a pound a week you'd say HOLY CRAP TOO FAST! Right?

It takes time, but you'll be there quite quickly!
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Just curious, why did you start at 1200? Assuming you have lost 2 pounds per week some weeks, thats net deficit of 3500x2 = 7000 caloric deficit for those weeks.

now distribute over 7 days, and you're eating a deficit of 1000 per day below maintenance.

it would have made more sense (just my opinion) to start from a much higher number, say (only net deficit of 300 cal per day = 2100 net deficit per week or about .75 pounds lost).

I know it's not 1lb per week or 2, but it ensures that you have a higher calorie pool to cut from, and therefore a more sustainable weight loss track.

If you start at 1200, you have to keep cutting from that 1200 number, or increase exercise output to burn more calories.

Personally my current weight loss schematic is something like 0.25 pounds (net per week)...over something like 32 weeks.

I dont like to give deadlines for when you want to reach a certain weight, as long as you reach it. The slower you reach that weight, the more sustainable and comfortable your life and diet will be on your way there.

Anyways, the problem you are currently probably facing or going to face in the near future is that 1200 calories a day and the same workout will no longer net any caloric loss. This is called metabolic damage (where the numbers SHOULD reach a certain result, but don't, due to overtaxing the metabolism).

At this point, if you are dead set on reaching that 30 lb loss goal, you may want to look at a longer time frame of achieving it, or failing that, start cutting calories or increasing exercise even more. Though the latter choice is probably not very healthy or sustainable in the long run
  • Tats1000
    Tats1000 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    It is hard to accept it when your working really hard but your body only loses a lb or so. I found that when i've dieted in the past i've always lost weight really quite fast, but it always crept back on quickly.
    This time around, im exercising twice a week and sticking to 1200 cals too. ive gone from 192 to 163 in 5 months but its seemed much slower this time. BUT when i have a bad weekend now, i rarely keep it on. As if my body is getting used to this regime. Fast weight loss usually means it can go on quicker, so just think, even though its coming off slow, its less likely to bounce back on if you slip up.
    I've felt a bit fed up now and then too but you gotta plod on and realise your changing your whole lifestyle. We shouldn't just be on faddy diets for summer anymore, but to change everything and look amazing at the end :D Just keep going and i'm sure you won't regret it :) xx
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    1-2 Lbs of weight loss is safe and healthy weight loss. I think you need to re-evaluate your expectations a little. When you see people losing much more than that, it's mostly water. Scientifically and mathematically speaking, it's almost impossible to lose much more than 2 Lbs of actual fat in a given week unless you are obese/morbidly obese.

Just think, if you lost 1 Lb per week for a year, you'd be down 52 Lbs...a lot better off than where you started I imagine. Try taking a longer view and seeing the big picture and stop focusing on the minutia of day to day week to week stuff...

Also, when you lose slowly you tend to develop a sustainable dietary lifestyle...going on fad diets only result in rapid weight loss (much of which is water weight) but as soon as you're done, the weight comes right back on because you never learn how to eat a sustainable diet with that bull****.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Patience is a virtue

I have been losing a fraction of a pound per month lately because I am 8 pounds from my goal. As you get closer it gets SLOWER. Just learn to be patient.

The whole picture for me: 50 pounds lost in 18 months, additional 25 in past year.
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    1 to 2 is great! That could be 100 pounds in a year! Do you realize that? Last year I only lost 20 all year...so far this year I've lost 28 since March as I upped my exercising and lowered my calories (same as you 1200 and work out 2 to 3 times a day). Lately it's been 2 pound/week loss but this past week I gained a pound! It's going to be up and down as you go through plateaus. Be ready for them and don't freak out, just keep going and you will lose, but you are right on track with 1 to 2 pounds/week.
  • bryn10
    bryn10 Posts: 44
    Options
    #1--You are changing your entire lifestyle...you are not "dieting". Therefore, let others around you drop insane numbers. They will most likely gain it back. No one can sustain deprivation for long periods of time.

#2--You are probably not eating enough. If you are working out upwards of twice a day, 1200 calories will not be enough. You should consider eating back AT LEAST half of your exercise calories. Your body needs it. You may gain a little bit of weight initially, but I promise you that you will have more energy and weight will come off more quickly.

#3--I know it can sometimes be near impossible to stay motivated. But you have lost 16 pounds and that is AWESOME! Keep going! You will be happy that you did! Weight loss takes a long time...but you are doing so much more than losing weight! You are building strength, endurance...and taking years off your life! Congratulate yourself for that! Be proud:)

Maybe take a look at these two posts. They certainly helped me :) I wish you so much good luck!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/992171-10-things-i-ve-learned-so-far
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    So many get out of shape over years of neglect and bad choices, but want to be fit again RIGHT NOW!

1 to 2 pounds a week consitently is an AMAZING weight loss rate. Just give it time.
  • GAB219
    GAB219 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss and I think you are doing fantastic. I wish I was losing 1lb per week. I've been at this for about 10 weeks and I've lost about 8-9 lbs (depending on the when I myself) and for me as long as I'm seeing that number go down even for just a few ounces or some clothes getting loose...it motivates me. I remember during the 7th week, my motivation was dwidling but I pushed and very happy I did. Just remember why you are doing it in the first place and remember that as long as you are seeing progress, doesn't matter how small, it's progress. Keep it up and good luck!
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Never put "only" in front of a loss, especially if you are losing at a nice rate, which 1lb a week is.
  • Tamiswa
    Tamiswa Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    One pound a week is the only way to do it. Crash diets don't last. Comparing your weight loss to anyone else's doesn't work. Giving up from being impatient is how most people fail at weight loss. Going all or nothing doesn't work. Stamina is about being frustrated by results but continuing on all the same.

Plus, 1 lb a week is exactly where you need to be!
  • TheBeerRunner
    TheBeerRunner Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    It's difficult to look at the scale after a week of hard work and only see it go down a pound or two... But that's perfectly normal. It took time to put on the weight, it's going to take time for it to come off if you want it to stay off. Sure, you could fast or do one of those trendy juice fasts and lose 10 lbs in a few days... Those things aren't healthy. Take stock in the fact that you're living healthier and are losing weight. I've been stuck with minimal losses for the last month or, so, but I'm still at it. Hoping that I break this plateau soon, but I'm sticking to what I've been doing as I don't want to go back to the old me again.
  • TheBeerRunner
    TheBeerRunner Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    Also, if you are a measurements person, measure yourself weekly with your weigh ins and keep track of it. It might help tell the complete story.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Also, have you ever considered just how heavy 1lb actually is?! It's a whole block of butter, melting from your body each and every week! And that's cold hard FAT, not just water. When a friend of mine is dieting, she fills up the top shelf of her fridge with blocks of butter and removes them as she loses each pound. It's a nice visual image (although I can't help but think a terrible waste of butter...)
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Coping? If I could actually lose a pound a week, I'd be ecstatic. It's been 4 months since I've lost anything. I've been on MFP for 296 days (approximately 9 MONTHS) and I've lost 13 pounds. So be thankful. You're actually doing REALLY WELL. Keep it up. Losing any faster will just cost you your muscle mass and you'll likely end up with loose skin, so don't rush it. Patience is major player in this game.
  • eazy_
    eazy_ Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I focus on how far I have come, not how far I have to go.
  • jrbb03092
    jrbb03092 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and I started out at 213 and I now weigh 199 - almost all of that loss has been since March which means I'm losing roughly a pound a week.

I walk 15K steps a day (closer to 20K on the weekends)(have a Fitbit which I love so much and completely credit for my moving more) and I just started doing the 30DS (am on level 1, day 4). I did not start losing until I upped my calories to 1800-2000. Inadvertently, I might add.

I was doing 1500 before and feeling like well, I'm not starving myself, I'm obviously eating enough, but nothing's coming off.

Then I had a week where I logged but wasn't as careful about my calories and I averaged 2000 and off popped 2 pounds.

Since then, as mentioned, I average 1800-2000 calories a day and it's coming off slowly, but it's coming off and honestly? I'm loving it that I can eat like that and still lose. I don't care if it takes me til next summer to get to where I want to be as long as I can continue feeling this good and this relaxed about my eating (I log every single bite and I eat fairly healthy - am vegetarian for health reasons (GI issues) but I don't think of anything as "bad" food and I still enjoy some chocolate and fries when I want them).

Lastly, have you measured yourself? In the same time that I've lost the 14 pounds, I've also lost 10 1/2 inches all over and gone down 2 clothing sizes.
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    What? 1-2 pounds is my goal! That is great! Fad diets cannot compare to the life change you are making.