AM or PM Workouts??

Options
Hello everyone!!

I was wondering what all of your opinions were on whether it's better to work out in the morning or in the evening?? ... In the morning I know I would be boosting my metabolism for the day, but in the evening I would be working off what I ate. What do you think??

Also, one problem I have with staying motivated to work out is time LOL. When I work out in the morning I have to get up at 4:30 in order to be able to get ready and leave for work on time, but if I work out in the evening after a long day of work I'm so exhausted already it's hard to get motivated!!! I know I know, quit complaining!! LOL But I am just trying to figure out ways to stay motivated so I don't fall into any of the same problems I have had in the past!! Thanks!! :happy:

Replies

• kiki2009
    kiki2009 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I work out both. Its hard because I work the normal 8 hour shifts daily. But I get up an extra 30 min early and go for a 3 mile jog. Just to boost my metabolism. Then in the evening is when I do my strength training, ab work, or agilities...along with quicker mile runs. Once you get in the routine it really comes second nature and although I have to force myself some days. Its hard to get motivated thats all on you, but once you start and continue for a week or so you really will be able to do it without even thinking ugh I have to work out, it will be more like time to work out so I can go to work :] hope that helped!
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    The morning works better for me. I find that I just don't get it done if I plan in the evening. I'm either too tired or I end up having some obligation come up.

I seem to never have a calendar conflict at 5:30 in the morning, plus it sets the tone for the whole day.
  • nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I work out in the evening because I work 10 hour days (6am-4:30pm) so it's a nice way to relieve some stress before bed. Also, because I work from home, I try to throw in some strength training on my lunchtime.
  • MeaganFBeatty
    Options
    I try really hard to do both. Most of my workout is done in the morning because it makes me feell good and want to keep making good decisions the rest of the day. At night I do either Yoga or 15 Abs. Nothing crazy!

Good Luck!
  • lordrahvin
    lordrahvin Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I don't think it really matters what time you work out, so long as you are consistent and comfortable.

I enjoy working out in the evenings. I like doing everything in the evenings. I can't stand the idea of waking up early.
  • sweetn3ss
    sweetn3ss Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I try to do both. I love going to the gym, then for a long walk with my daughter, and last I do the 30 day shred just before bed. For me this works out great. I have noticed the scale has been much nicer to me.
  • ashmholland
    Options
    Thanks so much guys for all of your ideas!! I think I will try sticking to workouts in the morning and then maybe going for a walk in the evening :)
  • adamlukeclough
    Options
    I usually go for a 5-ish (4.6) mile walk at around 12pm, generally. I find that it's at the right time for me personally and is just after lunch, too. I also tend to do an aerobics sessions at around 5-6pm, too. I can't really workout too much in the morning because I become somewhat lazy for the rest of the day, then.
  • vlr59
    vlr59 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    When I was on active duty, we always worked out in the early mornings. All it did for me was tire me out. Now I am dong most of my workouts in the evenings. Part of that is b/c I sleep late during the summer, and partly b/c when I do go back to work when school starts, that is the only time of the day that I will be able to workout. I prefer the evenings, b/c for some reason, I eat a lot less at night if I do. On the days that I don't get to work out, I am hungry in the late evenings. Maybe I'm odd, but that works for me.
  • phitme
    phitme Posts: 124
    Options
    The "best" time to workout is when you do will it consistently. If that means you workout in the morning some days & in the afternoon others, then fine.

There really is no best time. Consistency is much more important.
  • mrscourter2010
    Options
    I've tried both and I have a ridiculous schedule most of the year. I had to get up at 5am to exercise in the morning but it allowed me a quiet house to do pilates and made me very calm for the morning. When I wait until after dinner, I get tired or just don't want to do it. I think it depends on your own preference.
  • ShaneT99
    ShaneT99 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Do whichever one best fits into your schedule and whichever one you will be most consistent with. That's what is most important. I work out early in the mornings while the rest of my family is still asleep. I choose to do this because I don't want to take time away from my wife and children when I get home from work in the evenings. Do I like getting up at 3:45 every morning to work out? No, but I do it because it's what works best for me.

So, don't worry about a morning metabolism boost or an evening calorie burn. Just worry about what works best for you. :smile:
  • vineas
    vineas Posts: 84
    Options
    I'm a morning workout person myself - up at 4:30, work out right away then off to the rest of my day. By going in the morning, I avoid the heat of the day, and also set myself up well for the day. Occasionally when I need to blow off some steam I'll do an afternoon workout, but I never get as much out of it.
  • misstea
    misstea Posts: 2
    Options
    I completely agree with the morning workouts. It's so hard to get up and get going. I myself am NOT a morning person. Maybe you could just do a simple workout in the mornings, maybe just 10 mins. Do a set of push ups, crunches, dips and just stretch really good to get the blood flowing and to wake up. Doing something small to kick your day off may effect how you feel when you get home so that you can do your regular work out. Just an idea, I need to start thinking about when i'm going to work out when school starts back, right now it's like mid-afternoon, and that just wont work with classes! haha.

Well, I hope you figure something out! Let us know when you find something that works!
  • ashmholland
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your advice!! I think I am going to try to prevent myself from being too burned out on one or the other, so I am going to try mixing it up. So I have come up with Monday and Friday morning workouts and Wednesday evening workouts, Saturday or Sunday whenever I want and walks inbetween...I'm hoping it works out!!