Fitbit vs. Jawbone Up

Options
I am trying to decide which way to go. I've read that there have been problems with the myfitnesspal sync with the Jawbone Up. I have been using myfitnesspal.com for years and would rather not have the headache of adding all of my food entries again if I don't have to :) Have they fixed the problem? I am not concerned with whether the device will sync wirelessly or not.......just want opinions on accuracy and how the product is used with this site! TIA :)

Replies

• jgulickmd
    jgulickmd Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am also interested in people's opinions on this topic. Specifically I've been looking at the Fitbit Flex vs. the Jawbone UP which are both wrist bands. Any input is greatly appreciated. thanks!
  • jworkman1980
    Options
    I guess I should have specified that too.......looking at the Fitbit Flex as well :) I've read mixed reviews about the accuracy of the Flex but the Fitbit One got great reviews. I would rather have something I wear on my wrist all the time instead of a clip on. The Jawbone Up looks like it's less bulky.....the reviews say the flex is hard to put on without assistance. So many mixed reviews it's driving me crazy. Hope we get some good insight on here. I just want something that works well with myfitnesspal. I don't really care what it looks like LOL!
  • michellechawner
    Options
    Ha I was looking at both this weekend too! I'm looking more toward Up, but I've heard a lot of bad things about the battery and it keeping a charge. But I would rather have something like this than have to manually log everything. I think it would log the calories lost better which is what I'm looking for.
  • kingtermite
    kingtermite Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Somebody here on MFP posted a link to this article a few weeks ago. I thought it was a good comparison.
    http://www.getgrok.com/2013/01/a-comparative-review-28-days-with-the-fitbit-one-jawbone-up-nike-fuelband-and-bodymedia-link/

I read many, many reviews on all the different items out there and decided to go with the fitbit. I bought the fitbit last November and couldn't be happier. From all the reviews I've read, this is my take on it...fitbit is not quite as accurate as some others (like Bodymedia Fit), but it's 10X easier and probably 90% (or more) accurate. In the end, total accuracy isn't as important as ease of use (so you will actually use it).

With Fitbit, your activity is logged and syncs to MFP automatically so I don't have to log any of that manually. Just my weight (and even that will be automatic if I decide to get the Aria - fitbit scale). Battery life is great. I don't use the sleep tracker much, but it works fine when I do. It's super easy to wear and not "notice" it's there. The only problem (and this would be true with most devices) is remembering to wear it (and take if off when removing clothes). My wife left hers in her clothes and it went through the wash.....Fitbit support is FANTASTIC! They shipped a new one as it was within 3 months.

To me, the Fitbit and MFP are the perfect 1-2 punch!
  • ColorfulWeirdo
    ColorfulWeirdo Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Because I can't take the Fitbit into my workplace (since you can't turn off the bluetooth), I have the Jawbone Up (it was my only option).

I find it...okay. Most of my friends that have the Fitbit love it. They seem to enjoy the customer service. They find it accurate and speak highly of it.

For the Jawbone- I have had some issues. I've only had it 2.5 weeks and I'm already down from 10 days of battery per charge to less than 6. Customer Service is not great, as it takes them days to respond. To me, customer service is key, so this is disappointing.

The good news- I have not had any problems linking Jawbone to MFP. It's gone seamlessly every time thus far. Having carried pedometers for approximately the past year, the pedometer and the Jawbone agree with each other, so I feel like it accurately tracks my movements. I love the Jawbones "power nap" mode and like that it wiggles for me when I am idle for less than an hour.

Given the choice, I would choose Fitbit, but since I was limited, the Jawbone is a pretty okay runner up.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    Thanks for both reviews! My only issue with UP besides the ones I mentioned was that it only runs on Android 4.0. I have 2.3 :/. And my phone isn't even that old. But my work phone is a 4.0 so I could link it all through that phone instead.

In everything I've seen online and read over the past weekend (and I was researching for HOURS) It seems like the fitbit is the way to go.
  • jworkman1980
    Options
    Do you guys recommend the Fitbit Flex of the Fitbit One? I am trying to go with a wrist band so I can wear it all the time. I wear my Life Strength bracelet all the time so it won't bother me. I've read the Fitbit One is awesome but the Flex is crap LOL!
  • michellechawner
    Options
    They seem to both do the same thing, just the one has a display and the flex doesn't.
  • kingtermite
    kingtermite Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Do you guys recommend the Fitbit Flex of the Fitbit One? I am trying to go with a wrist band so I can wear it all the time. I wear my Life Strength bracelet all the time so it won't bother me. I've read the Fitbit One is awesome but the Flex is crap LOL!
    I don't know about the Flex. I know of it, but nothing more. It came out recently and I already had my Fitbit One.

I don't think it has the display. If you want to monitor throughout the day, that may be a problem. On the plus side, it's less likely to accidentally make it into the washing machine if it's on your wrist and not tucked in your clothes.
  • Heliman73
    Heliman73 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have both the Fitbit Flex and the Up. I am leaning towards my Flex. It is easier to sync and more comfy to where. Also I must add I am on my 3rd replacement from Jawbone for my up. The still have many problems with it. If any one has any questions between the 2 I will try and answer them.