What about bread?????????????

Options
I am a bread lover......
Ever since joining myfitnesspal I have realized that I eat way to much bread. I have changed that habit by switching to whole grain and limiting myself to 1-2 pieces a day.

For those of you who have lost weight, did you cut out bread? Did you eat bread? How many carbohydrates were you eating in general?

Also, what is your overall opinion on all this chatter that bread is the ultimate culprit of weight-gain.

-Cheers from a former bread addict.

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Bread in itself isn't evil. It can provide a lot of carb calories, so you just have to track and adjust to your objectives.

Some bread has multiple ingredients that shouldn't be in bread. If you care about that, read the labels and pick bread that has bread ingredients.
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with bread....it can be higher in calories and definitely has carbs but everything has a place. I lost 25 pounds (with a goal of losing 40) and ate about 2 slices of whole grain breads every day....also pasta once a week and potatoes 3 times a week....track your calories and nutrients from what you are eating and decide what is worth keeping for you.
  • bookitty_ca13
    bookitty_ca13 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Check out the "Wheat Belly" book...a real eye opener.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

The only eye opener there is that one person could cram that much misinformation into a book and make millions off it.

There's nothing wrong with eating bread or carbs if you stay in your budget. Problem is bread tends to be high calorie for little nutrition. Unless you have a gluten or wheat allergy there is no reason to avoid bread b products.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options

The only eye opener there is that one person could cram that much misinformation into a book and make millions off it.

There's nothing wrong with eating bread or carbs if you stay in your budget. Problem is bread tends to be high calorie for little nutrition. Unless you have a gluten or wheat allergy there is no reason to avoid bread b products.

Well said. They can make a book about anything and create enough data to validate it.

BTW, I eat bread, rice and etc and still lose weight. And that is with 2500 calories a day...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I prefer whole grain bread (actually always have). I eat a sammich 3-4 days per week...I've done just fine. I've lost 35-40 Lbs and just started another cut to get my BF% down another 5 points...and I'm still eating my sammiches.

I manage my calories and I manage my macros. With my current calorie goal of 2300 gross calories to lose about 0.5 Lbs per week my carbs are well into the 200s and I do just fine.