Please be kind, BUT is it possible?

Options
13»

Replies

• jessica182517
    jessica182517 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    It is possible....

- go slow...everyone should anyway, but if you're worried particularly about lose skin, go slow to allow for the skin to bounce back more naturally.

- eat at a reasonable and sustainable calorie deficit; this will help with bullet point one obviously...but it'll also help preserve what lean body mass you have.

- adequate protein and resistance training. These are the two most important things when it comes to body composition. Both will help you preserve lean body mass so that when you get to goal weight you're actually leaner than you otherwise would be. Those who neglect their muscles while dieting end up with a higher % body fat at their goal weight relative to what they thought it would be...i.e. they are "skinny fat."

- Keep the cardio to a reasonable level...you don't have to burn a gazillion calories doing a **** load of cardio. Use your diet for weight control and exercise for fitness. 30-45 minutes of aerobic cardio 3-5 times per week is plenty for general fitness and heart health. Excess cardio not only burns calories, but cannibalizes muscle as well. Always remember that cardio is just weight lifting for your heart and cardiovascular system.

Thanks!! :) lots of good info!

I have been going slow a little too slow actually since i took a 3 month "break" (never should have let myself slip up) but its been almost a year since i joined MFP and ive only lost about 30lbs and just about all of that was within the first 4 months so really since the end of last year ive lost nothing but i have at least "maintained" since i lost the weight. I go up a few lbs every now and then but it comes right back off so im sure its just water weight and what not. BUT I do plan to start doing some lifting and i would like to start running too maybe. Thanks everyone so much for all the tips and advice :)
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Short answer is yes.

Long answer is yes but... The closer you get to the flat stomach picture, the harder you have to train, the more dedicated to your diet you have to become. It can be done, but with it you have to be willing to sacrifice. In the beginning you can get away with some things, in the end everything has to be dialed in. For some, a Pilates class here or a yoga class there willl suffice. For others, like myself, it is an all out war.

It is cliche, but to become what you are not, you must do what you are not. Take it one step at a time. It can seem daunting at first. But once you tie up your running shoes, you will start to find that it is too late to turn back and you may as well just get the workout over with.
  • crystalscucc
    Options
    i've been doing Pilates with Cassey Ho's POP Pilates videos on youtube. she's totally awesome as an instructor and makes working out fun. she also motivates me to do my cardio even on days that i'm toning. it's worth a try : )
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    It is possible and you can lose the weight and resume the shape. My wife had 3 pregnancies and one of them was twins. One was a 45 pound gain. She is now without stretch marks and extra skin and all that stuff you want to get rid of and all of that was 25 years ago (for the last one). She did the work and all of the "problems" went away her having done the work. The same is completely possible for you. Good luck.
  • SStruthers13
    SStruthers13 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of variable. Yes, you can lose the weight. Yes, you can get a flatter tummy. Will you ever get a FLAT tummy? I know woman who have had c sections and the muscles don't do what they are supposed to do. My friend dieted and exercised until she looked anorexic and her tummy never got flat. I never had a c section and mine isn't flat and I do crunches and weight 106. I believe you need to focus on losing your baby weight, maintaining a healthy weight, eating and exercising in a healthy way and realizing your body is beautiful and perfect with or with out the flat tummy.

Go for it!!!
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I delivered my son by C section and I weighed 200 lbs at delivery (he was only 7 lbs) I now weigh 118 and have a reasonably flat tummy, although I do have a little loose skin and lots of (faded) stretch marks. The stomach picture in my profile was taken when I hit goal weight and my son was about 10 months old.
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    i've been doing Pilates with Cassey Ho's POP Pilates videos on youtube. she's totally awesome as an instructor and makes working out fun. she also motivates me to do my cardio even on days that i'm toning. it's worth a try : )

That's the blogilates.com that I mentioned. She is like the energizer bunny full of energy!
  • SabrinaLC
    SabrinaLC Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    DIet is going to be about 80% of your weight loss. So be sure you are eating a healthy diet. Don't do the no carb stuff, that's silly. Eat whole foods, mostly plants. Drink LOTS of water. At least 8 full glasses of ice water a day.
  • kdangiolillo
    Options
    Actually, you can minimize stretch marks by using Microderm Abrasion. Over time it fades the stretch marks so you can barely see them. I have the fear about my hips, but any change at this point will be a nice change. Even if I dont have a picture perfect body I will have one that I can say, I did my all to be where I get to.
  • lenamae23
    lenamae23 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    There is a lady on here that had a baby and lost 100lbs. Her belly was super flat. It will depend on your body. As far as the loose skin google foods with a lot of collagen in them. I know off the top of my head tofu has a lot. That will help your skin "shrink" back.
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Short answer is yes.

Long answer is yes but... The closer you get to the flat stomach picture, the harder you have to train, the more dedicated to your diet you have to become. It can be done, but with it you have to be willing to sacrifice. In the beginning you can get away with some things, in the end everything has to be dialed in. For some, a Pilates class here or a yoga class there willl suffice. For others, like myself, it is an all out war.

It is cliche, but to become what you are not, you must do what you are not. Take it one step at a time. It can seem daunting at first. But once you tie up your running shoes, you will start to find that it is too late to turn back and you may as well just get the workout over with.

I agree with this completely! For a long time after I lost my initial 100 pounds and got to that goal weight I thought would give me the perfect body, I struggled so much and though it would never be possible! Now that I got more honest with myself and have dedicated myself 100% to making the changes and living this lifestyle, the results have been amazing! But it is definitely a war, one I plan to win! :wink:
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Well I do not have an actual shirtless before pic but I think you can tell from this pic that I did not have a small belly when I started this journey.

IMG_6191_zps8a275207.jpg

dcf621ee-d75f-437b-8233-ce9c80656dcd_zpsc224c3f2.jpg

It does not happen overnight. Even after I reached my goal there was loose skin but the longer I maintain the better the results get so just give it some time.
  • shellyburger
    shellyburger Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I know that Bio Oil works really well on scars, blemishes and stretch marks. So that could help a bit.
  • 1976Nicky
    1976Nicky Posts: 6
    Options
    Wow you look fantastic job well done! I've just started the journey again so much too loose I know I will probably have loose skin my weight has gone up and down over the years I've had 5 kids and I'm 37 this year the way I look at it even with some loose skin at the end of my journey I will be a fitter and healthier person.
  • DanielleRN8
    DanielleRN8 Posts: 409
    Options
    I got up to 222 pounds before I delivered my son. I am now down to 118 pounds and I don't think it's possible to get any smaller. My stomach is relatively flat but I do have loose skin and stretch marks on it. I'm hoping the longer I maintain this weight, the more the skin will bounce back. Look at my profile pictures to see my progress. :)
  • ChasingKatie
    ChasingKatie Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Planks, planks, and more planks. All you can do is try your best to tighten up that area. You will look great! :)
  • jessica182517
    jessica182517 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all the amazing replys :) You all look amazing and thank you for sharing your advice and tips with me!
    p.s. feel free to add me :)
  • Julesbait
    Julesbait Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    If you never look like someone else's "after" pic, don't fret, though. Just strive to be the best version of you.

Everybody on MFP should have this printed out and hanging on their wall.
  • smiley245
    smiley245 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Bumping so I can see pics at home, and for the ton of inspirational mommy tummies/advice :)
  • heytherelameman
    heytherelameman Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Bump. Love this post and want to see where it goes.