Eating while grieving

Options
Mouse_Potato
Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,499 Member
I am not looking for sympathy, but I do need some nutritional advice. My mother passed away today. I am not an emotional eater. In fact, I am quite the opposite. I have a lot of trouble eating when I am upset. The last time I had a major tragedy in my life, I lost 10 pounds in 10 days. Obviously, I am not going to stay on my regular diet and exercise program, but I would like to know what I can do to be as healthy as possible while I go through this. Any advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• peopletalk
    peopletalk Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    i'm so sorry to hear. i wish you the best in everything you do.

i was grieving last week and believe me, i'm an emotional eater. i binged quite a bit. but i'm back at it this week and i feel 10x better.
    all i can say is just get through it the best way you can, and then deal with dieting/counting calories when you feel up to it again. you don't need any added stress right now.
    if not, just try snacking on really high calorie things... like nuts or something.

once again, i'm so sorry.

*hugs*
  • boroko
    boroko Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear about your loss. This will be a very stressful time for you so I would advise trying to ensure that you get the best nutrients to help you cope. Key nutrients to include for stress are B vitamins, zinc, magnesium, and omega-3. Also try to eat low GI grains to keep your blood sugar stable.

Good foods for you to go for are brown rice, quinoa, oily fish like salmon or tuna, pumpkin and sunflower seeds, green leafy veg like kale and spring greens, eggs, mushrooms, prawns and best of all ... dark chocolate.

This is not the time to be worrying about your weight but if you eat well you should feel better. Try to avoid comfort eating sugary refined carbs as they will do as much harm to your emotions as to your body. :flowerforyou:
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    So sorry for your loss.
    I get the same - during high stress I feel too sick to eat, try and remember to eat and when you do have things that are healthy higher calories (nuts, peanut butter) to make up for you non-eating time.
    Beyond that, eat what you fancy, and don't worry about your intake/quality of food. Just take care of yourself best you can
  • belle_of_the_bar
    belle_of_the_bar Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry. I think some nutritious protein bars would be good for you to have onhand for when you do feel like you could eat something. Take care of you, and if you need anything, I'm here. Big hug!
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that.

If you can't manage food, then drinking shakes could be easier for you.
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for your loss.

At a time like this focus on getting as best quality as possible and more calorie dense foods (full fat dairy, nuts, nut butters, etc.) If you think this is going to be more prolonged than a few days to a week or so, try adding in a multi-vitamin if you're not already taking one or drinking a nutritional suppliment like ensure so that you're getting basic vitamins and minerals. When you're feeling better, get back on track. *hugs*
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    I am not looking for sympathy, but I do need some nutritional advice. My mother passed away today. I am not an emotional eater. In fact, I am quite the opposite. I have a lot of trouble eating when I am upset. The last time I had a major tragedy in my life, I lost 10 pounds in 10 days. Obviously, I am not going to stay on my regular diet and exercise program, but I would like to know what I can do to be as healthy as possible while I go through this. Any advice would be appreciated.

The grieving process is extremely hard in many different ways and at the beginning it really sucks! The only advice I have is to try your best everyday. :flowerforyou:
  • Shirlls123
    Shirlls123 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I am really sorry to hear about your loss. Please try and eat something no matter how much you don't feel like it. If you really can't eat, then try drinking protein shakes to build yourself up for the time being. Or even eating small portions throughout the day so eating won't feel as overwhelming for you? Take care xx
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Very sorry for your loss!

I was dealing with a situation a few months ago. I'm pregnant too, so I KNOW I have to eat. It's so hard when you feel so broken and let down like that, but try and eat things that are substantial in nutrients and calories if you know you're not going to be eating a lot. This is what I tried to do. Bananas were a popular one for me because it was just a grab and go type thing.
  • medeamama
    medeamama Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hugs to you while facing your loss.
    Perhaps logging your food would help you stay on track and ensure that you actually eat.

My mom is sick with cancer and I worry that she might forget to eat if myself and other family members didn't check in on her to ask if she was eating. Maybe if you check in here and keep your log it will remind you to have a snack or a meal when you are supposed to.

The good news is that usually at times like this family comes together with lots of food to share. Take advantage of that.

Yours,
    Jeanine
  • cmurphy252
    cmurphy252 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear about your loss!!
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Do you have a friend/church/community that could prepare some meals for you?
  • libertygirlfla
    libertygirlfla Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I've been through this, too. Extreme stress makes me nauseous. Try sipping smoothies...with plenty of nuts for added calories.

Hugs :heart:
  • liznsmith
    liznsmith Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    sorry to hear about your loss
    Just remember to eat

When my grandpa died I gained a lot of weight and got to 180
    then when my 26 year old cousin died from cancer I went down to 95 pounds

Thus, stay balanced
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,499 Member
    Options
    Thank you, everyone, for your condolences and your advice. Today, for probably the first time in my life, I struggled to eat even 1000 calories (I am usually a 2000+ girl). I think protein shakes and bars will be my best friends for the next few days. I hope my grandmother does not mind me taking over her blender. Actually, I think my whole family is like this, so maybe I will blend dinner for everyone. I am not worried about keeping up my weight loss. I just started lifting, so I'm not even paying attention to the scale right now. I'm just trying to be healthy. Thank you, once again.