What is this? Pain Edition

So I have started running. Good times etc. Started my 2nd week (4 days per week) yesterday. I am pretty sure I am running properly BUT my right leg has this strange pain in it...wondering if someone can help me ID it and tell me how to stretch it out or something.

It is on the inner part of my lower leg and feels like it is right against (or even in?) the bone. It hurts if I am squatting for a minute (like applying sunscreen to the kids' legs) and then stand up to walk away. It isn't constant but when it happens it is SHARP.

I have included a picture of the location....help?

bc9NFgr.png

Replies

• mbritch
    mbritch Posts: 1
    Shin splints are the first thing that comes to mind. I've never had them (I, instead, get bone spurs on my heel when I run too often) but I've heard them described similarly. Here's a link to the WebMD description:

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/shin-splints

Hope this helps!

Mark
  • jogglesngoggles
    jogglesngoggles Posts: 362 Member
    Sounds like shin splints! Get a roller and try rolling it out. Ice it, stretch your calves. Do this every time you run. If you still have the problem, you may want to try new shoes.

something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Tec-PTRoller-Athletics-Roller-Massager/dp/B003XR7YLA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369931811&sr=8-1&keywords=shin+roller

I'm not a doctor, or any sort of medical professional, just a runner who has had her fair share of shin splints and injuries :)

Best of luck :)
  • yummykitkat
    yummykitkat Posts: 2 Member
    I'm a lurker coming out of hiding!

Sounds like shin splints to me. I've had them and the pain is something unbelievable. A few days of rest should help.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    rest is good for now - because it probably is shin splints.

But for the future, go to a running store and get fitted for a proper pair of shoes. It did me wonders!
  • OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    Yep. Shin Splints. I get them whenever I jump around a lot, my legs don't like: Jump rope, high knees, or butt-kicks! Let it rest, put a heating pad on it, it helps me when I end up with them. Luckily though I think mine are getting used to them because I don't get them as often as I used to. Also, rest. Your not going to help them out any if you keep working out when they are like that.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Shin Splints... you need to rest it. Get better shoes. Learn proper running form.
  • MaintainCats
    MaintainCats Posts: 222 Member
    Thanks everyone! I thought for some reason shin splits were only on the outside of the leg. Strange. It doesn't hurt a LOT or anything mostly just annoying. Only on the right leg too.