HELP! Confused and the same weight

Options
I started this month at 166, I've been working out everyday and eating much better than I usually have. I've fluctuated back and forth all month and I'm so confused. My body looks different (better in my opinion) but my weight doesn't reflect it. I just started taking measurements today, stupid I know. I'm just wondering if there's something else I could be doing, eating, etcetera... I'm thinking my scale might be broken, I know it sounds like an excuse but who knows. Anyone have any advice..

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Are you eating 1200 calories?

Seriously, we need more information. HOw many calories are you eating and what is your exercise routine and how tall are you?
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I started this month at 166, I've been working out everyday and eating much better than I usually have. I've fluctuated back and forth all month and I'm so confused. My body looks different (better in my opinion) but my weight doesn't reflect it. I just started taking measurements today, stupid I know. I'm just wondering if there's something else I could be doing, eating, etcetera... I'm thinking my scale might be broken, I know it sounds like an excuse but who knows. Anyone have any advice..

Have you been taking measurements (hips, waist, etc.)...don't always go by the scale. How are your clothes feeling? Don't let the scale itself get you down...there are other gauges to track your losses. Sometimes extra sodium or other factors can influence the scale.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Won't lose without calorie deficit. So track accurately and adjust your objectives.

That said, if you're feeling better and looking better, you're making progress regardless of the scale.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing and measuring your food? Did you determine your TDEE/ BMR and TDEG? The biggest mistakes people make are overestimating their exercise calories and UNDER estimating their calories consumed. Also, expecting results in the first 3 weeks is unrealistic. Be patient. Make sure you have the numbers right and then - be patient. :smile:
  • candifeola
    candifeola Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    my intake is 1200 daily I'm 5'10
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options

Have you been taking measurements (hips, waist, etc.)...don't always go by the scale. How are your clothes feeling? Don't let the scale itself get you down...there are other gauges to track your losses. Sometimes extra sodium or other factors can influence the scale.

How about this?
  • candifeola
    Options

How about this?

I just started taking measurements today. My clothes are less tight for sure, nothing drastic.
  • tryingtoshed
    tryingtoshed Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I am going through the exact same situation as you, and I get how discouraging it is. I lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks (mostly water weight of course), but at the end of the month, I "gained" everything back although my body looks a lot better. I would suggest taking pictures rather than looking at the scale. Also, I tend to only measure my waist, since I feel like it's hard to measure any other measurement accurately :P.

Since I have noooo idea how to put pictures on these posts (first tiem I'm posting on this forum!) I'm going to give you a link to my pictures to make my point :). This shows my progress over a month. So take pictures!!!

http://s1324.photobucket.com/user/laxcutie127/library/WEIGHTLOSS?sort=3&page=1#
  • manique45
    manique45 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    You are eating to little! This is a great tool to help understand your body

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Your net cals shouldn't be less than 1200... you will see this over and over again... at the beginning of my journey I did this same mistake until I educated myself on fueling the body :o) You will also see as people increased their cal intake the body starts to lose! Crazy huh eat more to lose more :o) good luck...

O I would also give yourself more than just a month to see real results, its all about a healthier life style no quick fixes :o)
  • candifeola
    Options
    I am going through the exact same situation as you, and I get how discouraging it is. I lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks (mostly water weight of course), but at the end of the month, I "gained" everything back although my body looks a lot better. I would suggest taking pictures rather than looking at the scale. Also, I tend to only measure my waist, since I feel like it's hard to measure any other measurement accurately :P.

Since I have noooo idea how to put pictures on these posts (first tiem I'm posting on this forum!) I'm going to give you a link to my pictures to make my point :). This shows my progress over a month. So take pictures!!!

http://s1324.photobucket.com/user/laxcutie127/library/WEIGHTLOSS?sort=3&page=1#

Thanks! Huge help
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more!!!! I am 5'2 and eat between 1600 to 1900 calories!!

Use this link to figure your TDEE and BRM. http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • nczuczu
    nczuczu Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    You aren't eating enough. It is fine to have your goal at 1200 calories, but you then need to eat back the calories you burned from exercise. Remember that food is fuel and your body needs fuel to function.
  • candifeola
    Options
    Thanks so much for all of your feedback!
  • candifeola
    Options

Seriously, we need more information. HOw many calories are you eating and what is your exercise routine and how tall are you?

sorry I forgot to include my workout...I run 2-5 miles every morning, 20 minutes of stretching (10 before and 10 after) and then anywhere from 30-60 minutes of specific body part workouts (legs, arms, chest, etcetera) plus I walk to and from work
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Opening up your diary would be a big help too.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

sorry I forgot to include my workout...I run 2-5 miles every morning, 20 minutes of stretching (10 before and 10 after) and then anywhere from 30-60 minutes of specific body part workouts (legs, arms, chest, etcetera) plus I walk to and from work

Are you logging your exercise here and eating back the extra calories you earn? If not, that might be a good place to start.
  • chayako
    chayako Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you have a scale that measures your fat percentage look and see if the percentage has decreased. I have learned that muscle weighs more than fat. This may be the reason you can see a difference but the scale is not showing it.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Won't lose without calorie deficit. So track accurately and adjust your objectives.

A food scale is a very useful tool to ensure accuracy when logging.
  • djwife03
    djwife03 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    i'M 5'11 and 166 also.....and need way more than 1200! so, at 5'10, yes, you need to eat more!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Based on your stats I would suggest you need to be closer to 2000 calories total. You are pretty active so its possible you need more. I would also stop working out every day. Your body needs rest as that is where you will see gains in performance. Additionally, I would suggest cutting down on some cardio. Cardio will just burn up calories which will require you to eat more.