Bananas..........

Options
I've heard bananas can make you GAIN weight. Anyone know of the pro's and con's of eating bananas?

Replies

• micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    This always makes me laugh. I eat at least one banana a day, maybe two if I put it in my protein shake also. I never understand why people hate on bananas. If it fits in your calories and macros, go for it.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    This always makes me laugh. I eat at least one banana a day, maybe two if I put it in my protein shake also. I never understand why people hate on bananas. If it fits in your calories and macros, go for it.

Yep. Not sure if people post these as jokes or what.
  • lsj77
    lsj77 Posts: 16
    Options
    It all depends on what else you're eating throughout the day and how much exercise you are getting. I know many raw vegans who eat up to ten bananas a day! One friend of mine eats up to 16 a day and she is very slim and fit!
    It's all about balance, making sure you're getting enough nutrients from other clean foods and making sure you're active at the same time. Bananas can make you fat if you're eating them on top of unhealthy, fattening foods.
    It's about nutrients not how many calories a banana contains!
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options

Ditto. I eat 2 on most days and I've had no problem with losing.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I agree with other feedback.

There is no one food item that "makes you gain weight".
    If you eat more calories than you burn, you will gain weight.
    If you eat at a deficit, you will lose weight.

I decided to eat more natural food like fruit and vegetables. I eat one banana a day for their potassium.
    I usually have it with my whey protein and skim milk for a 'pre workout" shake 45 minutes prior. No sugar. There is enough fructose in the banana, even when "green".

If the banana fits your daily calorie objectives, please try it.
    Good luck in your journey
  • abeare
    abeare Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    If its manufactured by mother nature and not by a lab then my guess is that its fine!
  • Salt_Sand_Sun
    Salt_Sand_Sun Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Wha??!!!

Um, no. But they are the most caloric of the fruits so I guess if you eat too many and go way over goal??! I don't know.

But they are yummy and have great potassium. I usually eat one a day and often two on my long run days!! They help with muscle sorenss and cramping. And again... they are yummy and mix well into most protein smoothies!!
  • TheDirtyBulker
    Options
    I can almost 100% guarantee you that all of the obese people in the world did not get that way from eating too many bananas.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I've heard bananas can make you GAIN weight. Anyone know of the pro's and con's of eating bananas?

Absolutely...if you are going above and beyond your maintenance level of calories. Anything will make you gain weight if you are at a calorie surplus...even...wait for it...broccoli!

Eat your flippin' bananas, they are good for you. Meet your calorie goals and you'll be fine. It's calories in/out. Also, bananas are mother nature approved...as are all fruits and veg...eat your fruits and veg.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I can almost 100% guarantee you that all of the obese people in the world did not get that way from eating too many bananas.

Unless they smothered the bananas peanut butter or nutella. Or covered it with ice cream and toppings. Or had it breaded and deep fried.
  • fitnessfreddie
    fitnessfreddie Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    If a banana is what's making you gain weight then your whole diet and exercise needs to be looked at again.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Wha??!!!

Um, no. But they are the most caloric of the fruits so I guess if you eat too many and go way over goal??! I don't know.

But they are yummy and have great potassium. I usually eat one a day and often two on my long run days!! They help with muscle sorenss and cramping. And again... they are yummy and mix well into most protein smoothies!!

Maybe it got started by the "fruits and veggies don't count" people.
  • raiderlifer53
    raiderlifer53 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am just completing Phase IV of my program started Feb 1st. I eat one banana with a handful of almonds ( not roasted ). I've dropped 25 lbs and over 2 inches in first four phases. I do think watching your sugar goals are important but I would cut out a lot of other things before I would drop bananas. Natural unprocessed food hardly ever will hurt you.
  • LoudmouthLee
    LoudmouthLee Posts: 358
    Options
    I love bananas. They fit into my macros, and I love them with peanut butter.

Bananas don't love me. They cause me to not poop.

Some days, the banana wins, some days, the bowels win.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options

Unless they smothered the bananas peanut butter or nutella. Or covered it with ice cream and toppings. Or had it breaded and deep fried.

I forgot who it was yesterday in the dessert thread that said they have bruleed bananas with nutella or pb over ice cream. Heaven.
  • SpazQ
    SpazQ Posts: 104
    Options
    bananas!!!

must have, and I eat 2-4 a day. I'm not dieting (although MFP seems to want to make me...LOL)

In fact, I eat 4-8 fruit servings a day. I hate logging but am trying to get better at it.
  • SpazQ
    SpazQ Posts: 104
    Options
    I avoid nuts. Too many calories and fat for so little pleasure. Just my opinion of course.
  • TheDirtyBulker
    Options
    I avoid nuts. Too many calories and fat for so little pleasure. Just my opinion of course.

Healthy fats though. All fats are not created equal. Don't fear the fat.

Pistachios, cashews, almonds, walnuts. They do wonders for the body.
  • StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I guess if you ate 20 bananas a day it could but one or two won't. Plus potassium helps with water retention.