Suggestions for 1/2 marathon training plans.

Options
I am not really a regular runner but have done a couple of 5Ks and can run 3-4 miles without much difficulty. I want to sign up for a half marathon which is on Oct 27th. Have been doing some research online and found Hal Higdons and Jeff Galloways training programs. They have so many options, 12 week, 16 week, 20 week plans. I am soo confused which one I should start with. I do have 20 weeks till Oct. Should I just do the one thats the longest so I have a schedule going on till Race Day. Anyone who started with a 1/2 marathon plan?? Please provide some suggestions! Thanks in advance

Replies

• prdavies1949
    prdavies1949 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I am doing my first half in 3 weeks time and at last I feel confident I will do it. If you have 20 weeks to go and have found a 20 week program then that's what you should go for. Build up your stamina and speed slowly and steadily. With a long training program there will be some slack to take up if you run into problems with injuries or niggles. Good Luck and enjoy your running.
  • wohlgangerc
    wohlgangerc Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I don't personally run marathons, but I know a lot of people who do. Along with the obvious suggestions like getting lots of practice, the major thing to check is to make sure that you are running right. You should be striking near the ball of your feet, not the heel. Striking at the heel will put vibrations up through your whole body and will slowly damage your knees, whereas the balls of the feel will cause the whole foot/legs setup to bend and cushion the blow. Some people encourage the use of toe-shoes for part of the training as their design and the feel of them while running pushes you into running correctly. They're significantly less useful for actual long-distance. As for which option/length, most suggest not pushing yourself too hard. You want to be in your best condition for the day of the race, not overworked.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    If you have 20 weeks. go with the hal higgons 20 week one. Good luck!
  • StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Running Guru Training Plan.

google it and print it out.
  • _funrungirl
    _funrungirl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    If you have 20 weeks do the 20 weeks. The longer you practice the better you will be. I did the Galloway method for my first one and loved it!

Good luck!!
  • LisaO85
    LisaO85 Posts: 152
    Options
    I would print off the 20 week program, but remember you also have a life to lead and something always seems to pop up. Follow the plan but don't feel like you will fail if you miss a run or 2. 20 weeks should be more than enough to get you through.

Good luck-
  • southpaw2207
    southpaw2207 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This is what I did when I ran my first half marathon 3 years ago

http://www.marathonrookie.com/half-marathon-training.html

I felt good and it got me across the finish line. If you decide to do another one and have a certain time you want to reach, then the training gets more complicated. This is a good training plan for a first timer.
  • BenBz
    BenBz Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'd bet the house on Hal Higdon and his Novice I or Novice II training plans. Each one has a very good description of the best type of athlete the particular plan suits. Read them, look at the way the training is laid out on a weekly basis and go for it. I found that they are simple and are tried and tested. Keep it simple and just go out and run. These plans are all about putting in the miles and getting you to the finish line.

Good luck - you can do it!
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    Bump for when I start training for the one I decide to do!
  • sneaker518
    sneaker518 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I agree with Ben, Hal Higdon's novice training plans are a good choice for running your first half marathon.

Gook luck with your training
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Last year when I decided to do my first half marathon (race was in october) I first singed up for a 5k and did the runners world break 30 5k training plan, I think I started in May. I ran the 5k and then took a week off and then did the 10 week Runners World break 2:30 half marathon plan.

I liked breaking my training up like this with 2 distinct goal races to train individually for rather than just dedicating my training to one goal race and one plan. So that's an option too, doing 2 shorter plans instead of one longer one. The 5k plan totally got me to where I needed to be for the half plan.

For my second half I did higdon's novice ii. I liked that plan too. I ran my second 11 mins faster than my first, but I'd say that was more due to experience than the training plan I was using. To get back up to where I needed to be to use higdon's plan, I just ran 15 miles per week in various increments various numbers of days per week for about a month.

I plan on using higdon again for my next half.