Why is drinking ample amounts of water important?

I mean, I try to drink more water anyway, but why is it important?

Replies

• AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Because people often confuse thirst with hunger, leading them to eat more. And it can help people feel full, so they don't eat as much. Being hydrated is good for your skin, along with all of the other organs in your body.
  • benflando
    benflando Posts: 193
    Everything your body does uses water. It helps metabolize food, move blood, dilute salt. It helps alot with numerous things. And it doesnt just help you lose weight because it keeps you full. It helps you lose weight because it metabolizes a lot of things.
  • StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    flushes you out. I know it helps with my water retention issues.
  • MsStang02
    MsStang02 Posts: 147 Member
    Everything your body does uses water. It helps metabolize food, move blood, dilute salt. It helps alot with numerous things. And it doesnt just help you lose weight because it keeps you full. It helps you lose weight because it metabolizes a lot of things.

^^ This! And for me it also made my dry skin go away. Bonus!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    I mean, I try to drink more water anyway, but why is it important?
    You need to be hydrated, but that doesn't have to be by drinking water alone. Water is found in pretty well all foods and drinks.
  • pjp1125
    pjp1125 Posts: 313
    Forget a colon cleanse- drink a lot of water! Additionally, drinking cold water forces your body to expend calories to heat it up. You also don't realize how dehydrated you have been until you're not- headaches, fatigue and even hunger goes away. It's a miracle!
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Because people often confuse thirst with hunger, leading them to eat more. And it can help people feel full, so they don't eat as much.

No! Thirst and hunger are not easily confused things. Most people are pretty aware of the difference. I don't know where that mantra started.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    If your urine is pale yellow then you are hydrated. There is absolutely no reason to drink a lot of water and you get plenty of fluids from your food as well as any liquids that you drink. Water doesn't flush out fat, it doesn't make you not retain water and it won't detoxify your system. Drink as much and whatever you want.
  • pjp1125
    pjp1125 Posts: 313
    Because people often confuse thirst with hunger, leading them to eat more. And it can help people feel full, so they don't eat as much.

No! Thirst and hunger are not easily confused things. Most people are pretty aware of the difference. I don't know where that mantra started.

I disagree- I am definitely prone to binging and unwarranted hunger when I am dehydrated. Perhaps it doesn't apply to you, but it does apply to me.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member

Because in some people the two are easily confused. You know your body needs something and many people habitually reach for food. And often that satisfies the need, since many foods contain a lot of water, but they may have satified the need with no calories by simply drinking water.
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Ample hydration is necessary for proper/good body function, our bodies, almost everybit of depends on it some way or the other. It helps keep body temp regulated, joints and muscles lubricated, helps food digestion and nutrient absorption and and and... go check out google if you need more than that.

Water is one of the easiest ways to maintain these levels, but it's not the only way. We get some of the needed water from fruits, veggies and such.
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Because your body is 50-75% water, the water that hydrates you should be flushed and replaced to keep things flowing properly. Using "soda" or other drinks is like hydrating your body with chemicals.. your body absorbs it. Just look at a common florist trick for the prime example of how those things are absorbed.. often times florists will put dye in the water of white flowers to get them to change colors. They drink blue water and then the petals turn blue. Think about all the chemicals that your body is absorbing to try to stay hydrated through unhealthy liquids.
  • kassiebby1124
    kassiebby1124 Posts: 927 Member
    Well that fact that water can fix dry skin is enough to get me to drink it.