Difficulty Losing Weight

Options
I have been trying to lose weight and have really started tracking my calories consumed and calories burned. I have a NikeFuel Band that I wear daily. I have been trying to workout a few times a week too. I have been trying to eat between 1200-1300 calories a day. Yesterday I consumed 1421 calories, burned 670 calories just around the office and then 303 calories at Zumba toning class last night. This morning when I got on the scales, I was actually up .5 pound :( What am I doing wrong? Am I not eating enough food? PLEASE HELP! :)

Replies

• keriberi9
    keriberi9 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back your exercise calories? It doesn't sound like you're eating enough, but you can't gage it by only a day or a week.....
  • KyannHiles
    KyannHiles Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    No, I am not eating my calories back from my exercise.
  • chocaholicdc
    chocaholicdc Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    yeah, I don't get that either, what is the point of exercising if we are supposed to 'eat back' our exercise calories?
  • keriberi9
    keriberi9 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    No, I am not eating my calories back from my exercise.

If you ate 1400 calories but exercised and burned 800-900 calories, you aren't actually eating 1400 calories! You're body needs nutrition!! You need to eat back some of your calories. Check out TDEE....... http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13
  • erica6732
    erica6732 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    0.5 pounds could very well be water weight, or it could be the scale - some scales fluctuate. Just make you sure you weigh yourself first thing in the morning after you empty your bladder and with the same clothes on or naked.
  • pnuthaymama
    Options
    Hi! You might need to focus on the amount of carbs that you're eating. Since keeping track of my own 'journey', I've found that the calories pretty much take care of themselves as long as I watch the amount of carbs that I'm eating. I try hard to keep carbs below 50 per day. Hope this helps.
  • bonitacash08
    bonitacash08 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    yeah, I don't get that either, what is the point of exercising if we are supposed to 'eat back' our exercise calories?

Because MFP's calculations are designed for you to lose weight without exercising at all. If you do, you burn more calories, creating a larger defecit than the program created for you.

For example, to lose half a pound a week MFP suggested around 1800 calories. That creates a large enough defecit that if I eat that amount and don't exercise, I should lose that half pound. If I exercise and burn 300 calories, I need to eat those calories back otherwise the calculations are wrong and my deficit is too large.

I hope that makes sense. You won't "starve" if you undereat but you could mess up your metabolism which will be detrimental to your weight loss efforts.
  • MelissaHollingsworth
    Options
    I'm having the problem with not losing weight. I'm tracking my calories, drinking approx. 100 oz of water a day, and exercising 5 days a week. I haven't lost one pound in 2 weeks! It gets really discouraging!
  • missfelicia6
    missfelicia6 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    So, does this mean at the end of the day when MFP says "Felicia has completed her diary for today and was under her calorie goal" That's bad? Should I be at or above my calorie goal?
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Under your goal is fine, but you should be close to it. Try to hit as close to it as possible every day. If you go slightly over or slightly under it's fine - also track your weekly calories.
  • bonitacash08
    bonitacash08 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    So, does this mean at the end of the day when MFP says "Felicia has completed her diary for today and was under her calorie goal" That's bad? Should I be at or above my calorie goal?

It depends on what your goal is. If it's 1200 calories, then no, you shouldn't be under that. I wouldn't aim for over it either. Treat it like any other goal. You want to meet it. If exceeding it means eating less than you still haven't developed a healthy relationship with food.

I know on your profile you mentioned that you don't have a lot to lose. You can actually eat pretty close to your maintenance calories. I would set it to lose half a pound a week. With your heavy lifting routine, you'll be really happy with the results.
  • rachface1234
    rachface1234 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Its hard to tell why you might have difficulty without looking at your diary to see what your food intake is like, etc. A .5 gain or loss can be water weight, I've heard that for example you can "lose" 2-3 lbs in a bikram yoga session, but the water is back after you rehydrate! Try weighing yourself every few days at the same time of day, in the morning before eating/working out, etc around the same time. Track inches not just weight. I am close to my goal, so my progress is less on the scale and more on the measuring tape and the way clothes fit. I do better when I try to make sure I am getting enough protein and not as many carbs (and that the carbs come mostly from fruits and veggies). If you want to friend me I'd be happy to share any advice/insights I might have :)