Too much sugar?

escap1
escap1 Posts: 5 Member
Hi all!

I've only been tracking my food for the past two days but both days have been over my amount of sugar allowed.

I'm trying not to stress about it because the sugar is coming from fruits and vegtables and not processed foods or junk food.

Should I try to restrict it more? What does everyone think? I'd hate to sabotage myself so early on.

Thanks!

Replies

• LAW_714
    LAW_714 Posts: 258
    Personally, I ignore the sugar count... even though I've been avoiding sugar.

I do try to stay below 100 carbs a day and avoid added sugar as much as humanly possible. Even then, I'm regularly over the sugar number listed in fitness pal. I figure that if I'm NOT eating added sugars (or processed carbs such as flour or even white rice or white potatoes) and yet STILL am regularly going over the sugar number, so be it. All of my sugars are coming from natural healthful sources such as vegetables, berries, and a little dairy.

Short of cutting your total carbs to an Atkins level of less than 30, I haven't found how you can undershoot the sugar count listed by myfitnesspal.
  • Alphastate
    Alphastate Posts: 295 Member
    If your sugar is mainly coming from fruit, not too much to worry about. I still try to keep my overall count around 100, but mostly from fruit sources. I would limit the fruits to morning/early afternoon, and post workout to replenish your glycogen levels. If you still feel like the sugar intake is too high, try replacing some of the fruits with veggies.
  • duran2fan
    duran2fan Posts: 7 Member
    Hi all!

I've only been tracking my food for the past two days but both days have been over my amount of sugar allowed.

I'm trying not to stress about it because the sugar is coming from fruits and vegtables and not processed foods or junk food.

Should I try to restrict it more? What does everyone think? I'd hate to sabotage myself so early on.

Thanks!
  • duran2fan
    duran2fan Posts: 7 Member
    I meant to reply with your question in my post (I'm still learning this!). Thank you for asking that. I also have the same problem. My sugar is always high, even when eating healthy foods and no added sugar. God forbid I should indulge in an Oreo! I do like to have a glass of milk once in a while and haven't just because of the amount of sugar. But I also never go over my carb intake either.

The only thing I can suggest, especially for me is once I've lost some more weight, have my doctor run a blood sugar test to make sure I'm not diabetic or even pre-diabetic. That way I can rest easy over the sugar issue.