Is 50 lbs over weight really that much??

Options
Ok, so the other day I was out running (kinda) and I started thinking about how much is 50 lbs really?

If I was to put a bag of cement into a back pack and go for a run that would be 50 pounds, my knees would not be happy!

If I was to trade that bag of cement for 2 gallons of paint that would be about 25 pounds

Swap those for a bowling ball, that's around 15 pounds.

I challenge anyone who wants to feel the effect of that weight you are trying to lose in real time find an object of equal weight and carry it around for 10 minutes. And think of how great you will feel when you lose that body weight for good!!

Fight on!!

Replies

• Establishedn1986
    Establishedn1986 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    love
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I lost as much as one of my dogs weigh.

He's heavy as HELL. I would not enjoy carrying him around all day.
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    A bag of Quikrete is 80 pounds. But I digress.....
    I think of the 50 pounds I offloaded every time I pick up 2 of the 25lb dumbells for various exercises.
    It is reinforcing the ongoing maintenance of same.
    Gained back a Chihuahua (5 lbs) but I can handle that. But that is as big a dog as I am going to add on for the rest of the journey.
    Stay well. Your approach, a correlation to physical things is a good benchmark.
  • keriberi9
    keriberi9 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I lost a little more than the combined weight of my three year old and almost one year old....that's crazy.
  • miabugg
    miabugg Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    What a great way of thinking of it. Not only will it help put the extra weight in perspective, but it will also help keep you motivated to lose it! Just think of how much better you will feel once it is gone! keep it up!
  • LouiseDavis65
    LouiseDavis65 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Love this way of thinking. I was once at the grocery store and put a bunch of butter together to show myself how much I lost - I got some looks but I don't care - visualizing it is the best way!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Every time I struggle to carry my 32 lb. toddler up the stairs I think of this!
  • kevinjb1
    kevinjb1 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Tell me about it! Juding from this I've lost two paint cans and a Chihuahua. :laugh: Looking to finally let go of that bowling ball too!
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    That's how much weight I've lost, and let me tell you, it's night and day. I had a bunch of gear that I was hauling around one day and it was only about 35 pounds and I was exhausted! I couldn't believe I was doing that to myself every day!
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    When I started out I was 100lbs overweight and my youngest was 24 lb. My extra weight was the equivalent of carry quads.
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Every 10 pounds is a large bag of potatoes. I lift those from time to time to remind of how how much weight I have lost.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I've lost the equivalent of a small child... amazing how much lighter i feel.
  • Syriene
    Syriene Posts: 238
    Options
    Definitely puts things in perspective. Thanks, I'll have to remember this.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I've lost more than my daughter weighs. Carrying her around on my back now, makes me think of how I used to do that all the time.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I think about this every time I do lunges - if I have a 20 lb dumbbell in each hand, that's *still* less weight than a bodyweight lunge was when I started doing them, so I need to STFU and pick up the 25s. (I never actually *do*, but I tell myself that every time anyway.)
  • Zombella
    Zombella Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    The other day I was rushing through the mall (seriously, it was like 15 mins til closing time) holding my daughter. She weighs 18 pounds. I lost 20. I could not believe how hard it was! I was like woah I had this much on my body and was carrying that around?!
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    Great way to put it in perspective.