The dreaded bikini

Options
I've never worn a bikini before. I've always been way too fat. I thought that this summer I would finally make it my goal. I've been eating healthy and avoiding foods that are high in fat.I don't smoke, do drugs, and rarely drink. I don't own a car, so I walk everywhere. I can easily get up to 20,000 steps a day. On top of that I've been doing crossfit training 3-4 times a week. My arms and legs look more toned, but my stomach doesn't. it just seems to stick out no matter what I do. It sticks out more then my boobs unless I'm wearing an extremely padded bra. I'm 5 foot 3 and 131 right now. My goal is to be 120. I bought this bikini because I really wanted to wear it this summer, except I'm terrified! I'm so embarrassed. I also have lots of large stretch marks all over my body from when I was 220lbs circa 2007. Do you think I have a chance of pulling this off at all? I get so insecure. Sometimes I think that I look ok, but other times I feel like a gigantic scar covered whale. Opinions or ideas anyone?

image-4.jpg

image-2.jpg

Replies

• carchie94
    carchie94 Posts: 45
    Options
    It's not that bad. I've certainly seen worse.

Just remember—even super skinny girls get bikini anxiety. The goal is to have fun, no? If you're going to spend the entire time, nervously trying to hide your middle section with a towel, just go with a tankini. No need to spend the day feeling anxious.

I'd wear it, though. But, IME, getting wet makes your stomach look less bloated.
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Looks good to me!
  • kevinjb1
    kevinjb1 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    You look great!

Even guys get anxious at the beach about their bodies. I truly enjoyed being shirtless at the beach for the first time in my adult life earlier this month. It was a huge confidence boost when I realized I took my shirt off without even thinking about it!

I'm sure you are proud of all your success. Now go show it off!

:drinker:
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    1) You look great. I think you should defiantly wear it.
    2) OMG!! I love that top it's so cute. :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    You look great to me :)
  • salcha76
    salcha76 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    awwww....you look great......
    if you want some toning work....try 30ds....i saw huge results after just 10 days...it helps you walk a little taller too:)
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    It looks good! I could give you a better opinion if you had the bottoms on, though. You can pull it off. If you were at the pool, I don't think anyone would be thinking "OMG that girl should NOT be wearing a bikini!!".
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    If you're going to spend the entire time, nervously trying to hide your middle section with a towel, just go with a tankini. No need to spend the day feeling anxious.

This.

Also OP you do not look like a scar covered whale, at all.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    It's not that bad. I've certainly seen worse.

Just remember—even super skinny girls get bikini anxiety. The goal is to have fun, no? If you're going to spend the entire time, nervously trying to hide your middle section with a towel, just go with a tankini. No need to spend the day feeling anxious.

I'd wear it, though. But, IME, getting wet makes your stomach look less bloated.

wow. OP, wear that bikini proudly!
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    awwww....you look great......
    if you want some toning work....try 30ds....i saw huge results after just 10 days...it helps you walk a little taller too:)

That. JM 30ds shred, free on youtube, also in blogilates.com look for the pooch, lower abs, stomach fat videos and do these, they are basic abs and core exercises like twists, planks, etc. But you look fine. How is the bottom? If it is French cut would be better than a string bikini. Also, add more fresh green salad, fruits and vegetables in your diet and cut down on bread/cereal/processed food so the belly wont be bloated.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Like others have said make sure you feel comfortable wearing it. If you're going to be self-conscious about your mid-section the entire time you are not going to have a good experience. SO wear that if you feel good in it, but if you are too anxious try looking at some vintage style 2 piece suits that are high-waisted....they are stylish and can help hide the dreaded lower belly area. Congrats on your progress so far and the progress to come!

*Know that most women get extremely nervous about wearing bikinis, it's natural because it's pretty much the closest you get to being naked in public*
  • KYT1121
    KYT1121 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I vote for WEAR IT!! I bet as soon as you step foot out there you're going to feel GREAT!
  • abibt
    abibt Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Lovely. Get out there. Now. (or when the weather is a bit warmer :-)). I'm 36 and wore a bikini for the FIRST time last year. What a bunch of scaredy cats we are x
  • abibt
    abibt Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Obviously I look better in dungarees and a sock hat though.
  • nataliesarazyn
    nataliesarazyn Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It looks good! I could give you a better opinion if you had the bottoms on, though. You can pull it off. If you were at the pool, I don't think anyone would be thinking "OMG that girl should NOT be wearing a bikini!!".

That's kind of what I'm afraid people will think. The bottom is a black skirted bottom, so it doesn't look much different then the shorts.
    I also bought this tankini in case I'm too chicken to wear the bikini in public

DP0110201317061370M.tif?op_usm=.4,.8,0,0&resmode=sharp2&rgn=0,0,1728,1728&scl=4.5473684210526315&id=1JxBRcCb6_9bK9MQs7DEWY
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I've never worn a bikini before. I've always been way too fat. I thought that this summer I would finally make it my goal. I've been eating healthy and avoiding foods that are high in fat.I don't smoke, do drugs, and rarely drink. I don't own a car, so I walk everywhere. I can easily get up to 20,000 steps a day. On top of that I've been doing crossfit training 3-4 times a week. My arms and legs look more toned, but my stomach doesn't. it just seems to stick out no matter what I do. It sticks out more then my boobs unless I'm wearing an extremely padded bra. I'm 5 foot 3 and 131 right now. My goal is to be 120. I bought this bikini because I really wanted to wear it this summer, except I'm terrified! I'm so embarrassed. I also have lots of large stretch marks all over my body from when I was 220lbs circa 2007. Do you think I have a chance of pulling this off at all? I get so insecure. Sometimes I think that I look ok, but other times I feel like a gigantic scar covered whale. Opinions or ideas anyone?

image-4.jpg

image-2.jpg

Honestly, if you don't mind me saying, you look pretty hot!! I'd give you a second look at the beach, probably even a third look!! :)
  • jakkisr
    jakkisr Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    It's hard to say from the photo to be honest ... I always think shorts and a bikini top aren't a very flattering combo anyway! And the cut of the bikini bottoms will give you a much different shape to those shorts. You look great, you should definitely wear the full bikini and PROUDLY too!

And, as others have said, if you don't feel comfy just yet, wear a one-piece, or do some more toning exercises ... but honestly, you don't need to worry at all :) great work :)
  • rachface1234
    rachface1234 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Go for it girl, rock that bodbod! Who doesn't feel insecure in their bikini. F dat, have some fun in the sun!
  • fluffykitsune
    fluffykitsune Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    In your pictures you have a very uncomfortable pose/posture. The more confident you look and are, the better image you create. Next time you put that bikini on, smile and strike a pose.
    If you go out in that with a happy and outgoing personality, NO ONE will be focusing on you belly. But if you wear a big frowny face and slouch your shoulders, it will exaggerate your tummy.
  • lurcstet
    lurcstet Posts: 77
    Options
    This is my honest opinion... I think you look great! :)