Lifting versus strenth training?

Options
Hi everyone,

This is my first post – I have lost ~23 lbs since January by changing my diet. I joined MFP not too long ago, because I had hit a plateau and needed to reassess my eating (turns out I was eating too little – surprise, surprise ;-)!) I have about 30 more lbs to go.

My question is regarding lifting and/or strength training. I have been doing cardio (30 min 4X week). I am looking to add in weights to my exercise regimen. However (and I am sorry if this question is silly), I am not quite sure if I should be adding in lifting weights (which in my mind = dumbbells, deadlifts, etc.), or strength training (which in my mind = squats, lunges, planks, etc.). Or should it be some combination of both? And/or do I have this wrong????

I am just trying to start of slowly and build up to something more intense, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Replies

• GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Strength training, weight lifting, or bodybuilding aren't necessarily separated by what exercises you do, but by how you do them.

Before everyone floods in here and parrots NROLFW, What is your overall goal? When you're at goal weight, do you want to be jacked, or do you just want smaller, dense muscles and enjoy the bone and joint health benefits?

How much time do you want to spend lifting?
  • sthak2001
    sthak2001 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am reading NROLFW right now, but can't make it to a gym at the moment. So, I am doing what I can at home with weights. Not ideal, but better than nothing...

My goal is additional 30 lbs weight loss and to strengthen my body. I have a two year old, and want to be able to lift her as she gets older without my body giving up on me ;-)!
  • LiftHeavyWeights
    LiftHeavyWeights Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Do both, that is use weights and bodyweight. Weights can be held doing squats and lunges. Weights can be lifted doing a plank; aka renegade row.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    You can really see a lot of benefit doing a bodyweight program like "You are your own gym. :)"

The smartphone app is pretty cheap.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    What equipment do you have avaiable at home? That will impact what programs you could do.
    You are Your Own Gym and Convict Conditioning are 2 programs that only use your own bodyweight. Nia Shanks' program Beautiful Badass uses minimal moves and equipment so it is easy to follow at home
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    You can really see a lot of benefit doing a bodyweight program like "You are your own gym. :)"

The smartphone app is pretty cheap.
    Yep. If you don't want to or can't go to a gym, bodyweight exercises are great. If you want to use dumbbells for stuff, I'd recommend getting a set of adjustable dumbbells because you can increase the weight as you become stronger.

Here's a thread I found with a lot of good tips on starting strength training with bodyweight exercises (and some weights too on some of them): http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/929012-for-those-starting-out-in-bodyweight-weights
  • sthak2001
    sthak2001 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your replies! Dear God, renegade row looks painful ;-)!!!!

I have a set of adjustable dumbbells at home, so I definitely will look at "You Are Your Own Gym" and the "Beautiful Badass" programs and take it from there :-)!

Thank you again so much - i look forward to posting more progress!!!
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    Good luck!
  • LiftHeavyWeights
    LiftHeavyWeights Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your replies! Dear God, renegade row looks painful ;-)!!!!

I have a set of adjustable dumbbells at home, so I definitely will look at "You Are Your Own Gym" and the "Beautiful Badass" programs and take it from there :-)!

Thank you again so much - i look forward to posting more progress!!!

When I 1st tried renegade row and when I getting tired do it from my knees. I wear gloves to protect my hands.