Staying Full

Options
hello everyone, new member here.
i'm enjoying the site. right now, i'm a member of fooddiary.com but am finding this one a lot more useful because you can communicate with others.

a question: does anyone have any tips for staying full throughout the day? i find that this is my major issue.
i eat a good breakfast... usually some oatmeal or some bran cereal, milk, a coffee and a piece of fruit. usually this is around 8am, and by 10, i am starving. anyone have any easy tips for early morning meals?

thanks, look forward to hearing from you all soon! :o)

Replies

• yoda_adjo
    Options
    hello everyone, new member here.
    i'm enjoying the site. right now, i'm a member of fooddiary.com but am finding this one a lot more useful because you can communicate with others.

a question: does anyone have any tips for staying full throughout the day? i find that this is my major issue.
    i eat a good breakfast... usually some oatmeal or some bran cereal, milk, a coffee and a piece of fruit. usually this is around 8am, and by 10, i am starving. anyone have any easy tips for early morning meals?

thanks, look forward to hearing from you all soon! :o)
  • rbkhhmn
    Options
    Make sure you add protein to your morning meal. I eat a protein shake for breakfast (not one with a bunch of sugar) and then a protein shake around 10. Because they are both 160 calories each, it is not that many calories, but it keeps me from feeling like snacking.
  • Razboo
    Razboo Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I actually reduced my breakfast portion. It left me more calories for later on. (1/2 cup skim milk, 50g All Bran, which is half of what I want to have. :tongue: )
  • shaker
    Options
    Hi :)
    I find that a handful of almonds and raisins around mid morning does the trick.
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I once had it explained to me this way.
    You burn 1 calorie a minute by just being alive. which = 60 calories each hour. When you are feeling hungrey, that is usually because your body has burned the useable calories of the food you ate, and is wanting more. NOTE I SAID USEABLE! Unused claories are what makes a person gain weight.
    GOOD FOOD has a lot of useable clories in them. Fruit/Veggies and nuts for example. They also have a tendency to fill you up because of the USEABLE calories.
    So if you are 200 calories of fruit/veggies/lean protein. you will stay fuller longer then if you ate 200 calories of cake.
    To make a long story short, If you are eating a good breakfast like you say you are, and are hungry around 10:00, that is completly normal. You have burned the useable calories from your breakfast and your body is telling you it is time for more, eat a piece of fruit and or a handful of nuts and that should take you through to lunch just fine. :flowerforyou:
    --Diann...
  • memeburke
    Options
    Hi,
    Maybe you could hold out your fruit until you are hungry later. I was addicted to carbs, and I wouldn't feel full unless I had bread, potato, pasta,etc.Could this be the same? I use 100 calorie mico pop corn or any other 100 calorie snack. Even V-8 juice is good . Hope this might shed some light.
    Good Luck
    Shirley
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Note: I did not say JUST fruit, I added Veggies and lean protein to that list.
    Different people are different.
    Where one apple is good for me and fills me up just fine. it might not work for another person.
    Where a 1/2 a cup of yogurt is fine for my boyfriend to eat for breakfast, if that is all I had for breakfast I would be passing out by lunch.
    Try different things to see which one works the best for you. :happy:
    --Diann...
  • pete
    pete Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    at 10am when i get hungry i have a banana.
    other times if i am hungry i may have a tea or drink a glass of water.
    mid afternoon i have a carrot when i am hungry.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    In the morning I either like to have some oatmeal or I scramble an egg in the microwave, this way it doesn't take any oil or butter. Since I cannot have milk I often add cheese to top my egg and put it on a slice of bread or a tortilla. That will keep me quite satisfied for a long period of time. Then at snack I can have a piece of fruit. Sometimes I do some mixed nuts and dates for a snack. I prepackage them in a ziplock bag that way I know exactly what I am getting.

I also make sure I drink plenty of water. My biggest problem is that I often have to drink the majority of my water after work. I just cannot get to the restroom as often as I would need to if I drank water while at work. I know TMI but the truth is the truth. But if your work situation allows I would drink as many fluids as you can.

Eve
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Try planning ahead for the whole day and include snacks. I eat at 7, 10, 12, 3, and 6.

Also, pre-pack snacks, like grapes, almonds etc so you have something quick to grab.

when I first started to change my eatting habits I felt like I was starving all morning but now that I have a good routine I seem to have adjusted to getting the right calories at the right time.

here is what I do
    7 breakfast (oatmeal, apple & milk)
    10 late breakfast (egg whites omelete, slice of toast and water)
    12 snack (carrots, celery, tomatoes sometimes lettuce, but only vinegar for dressing)
    3 snack (fruit and nuts and milk)
    6 dinner (small amount of lean protein, steamed veggies, sometimes brown rice)
    it varies, of course, but when I do this It allows me a piece of fruit or a jello cup to satisfy the after dinner sweet tooth!
  • jules1984
    jules1984 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    One trick - careful, very high sodium - when I am totally losing it at the end of my day and don't want to add much more in is to drink broth. Heat up a nice cup of hot water and throw in a bouillon cube (careful, some are mean for two cups), stir, and sip away. Tastes like a hot cup of soup, keeps your belly warm and full, and you're probably getting a measly 5 calories. Its high in salt so I wouldn't recommend it for everyone - but its one of my tricks.
  • oldandbroke
    Options
    I work out in the morning and have a lot of carbs for breakfast. I get at least a third of my calories then and probably half of my carbs. I also get a good amount of protein usually with a shake. I have been doing this for the last couple of months and it has really helped keep me from being hungry all day.

Try adding a fiber drink like Metamucil. They really make me feel full. That is about 20 cal, causes you to drink water and is good for the digestion.

The other thing is protein. If you are weight training frequently you may need to be getting a higher percentage of protein. If your body needs protein the only way it can tell you is to send the hunger signal. I have fallen victim to this in the past and used to gain a good bit of fat when I started weight training.:drinker: