not hungry. force myself to eat?

Options
This is kind of a new thing but I don't get hungry until 3 or so. Example rt now its 2:10 I got up at 8. Was active did yard work. Cleaned up the house but I'm still not hungry. I understand the theory behind eating in the am to kick start your metabolism but alsoo I want to train myself to only eat when I am hungry. The industry I worked it I subconsciously trained myself to go 10-16 hrs without eating. So should I re train myself to eat 3+ times a day or just eat when hungry? Please don't chime in saying "starvation mode" blah blah because its bs. Especially when you are 70lbs overweight.

Replies

• Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Eat whenever you are hungry....meal timing is irrelevant.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Ignore all of this crap and just eat when you are hungry.
    Don't over think it.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Third-ing the "eat when you're hungry" thing.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    As long as you eat enough, it doesn't really matter when or how many meals it is.

If you want confirmation or suggestions, look into intermittent fasting.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    I'm on board with the eat when hungry crowd. With the caveat that if it leads to gorging and impacts your calorie goals, maybe you should try to shift up the meals a bit.

I'd hulk smash going without food for that long.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I agree with eat when you're hungry... but 7 hours is a long time. If you only eat when you are hungry, do you still meet your calorie goals without having a binge? If yes, you are fine. If no, maybe try to eat light snacks here and there like a string cheese packet or a yogurt container...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    eat when you're hungry so long as you're eating enough. When people under eat for prolonged periods of time, your body will flood itself with the hormone leptin to supress feelings of hunger...thus the reason that many an anorexic claims to no be hungry even though they've only eating a handful of bird seed for the day.
  • Andrewcpimpin
    Andrewcpimpin Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Cool. That's basically what I was thinking. Its more important to train the behavior than follow someone else's guide line
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    To play the devil's advocate, when you don't eat for long periods, your blood sugar does not stay steady and this can contribute to losing lean body mass as well as fat.

I wouldn't force myself to eat, but could you do a meal replacement shake earlier in the day?

Usually the reason we aren't hungry in the morning is we ate too much the night before and the body is still processing it.
  • musicmint
    musicmint Posts: 469
    Options
    I'm having the SAME issue. I eat when I'm hungry, still measure my amounts, and stay away from fatty fatty things. This post helped me out alot!
  • tigers217
    tigers217 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You want to eat frequently so you can keep you blood sugar stable and boost your metabolism. If you go hours without eating anything over a period of a few years or more, your metabolism will be shot.
  • Andrewcpimpin
    Andrewcpimpin Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    You want to eat frequently so you can keep you blood sugar stable and boost your metabolism. If you go hours without eating anything over a period of a few years or more, your metabolism will be shot.

Guess I'm doomed after doing that for 10 years. I am giving up. Uninstalling the app and going to get a cheeseburger. Kidding
  • Nina_Marie88
    Options
    i'm no expert but i don't think its good for you to wait until 3pm every day to eat. I would suggest making yourself a green smoothie in the morning since you're not hungry you can just drink it. it will boost your metabolism and give you nutrients and energy. Also try not to eat 5 hours before bed.