Shelf-life of almond butter?

Options
Sooo I tend to stock up on food because there are certain things that I just buy out of habit every week, regardless of whether or not my sister and I actually need them... almond butter is one of those things. As a result we've got a loooot of almond butter... the oldest one says "sell by 5/23/13," so I guess I'm good (as I've heard that you can keep it for up to six months so long a it's stored in a cool dry place) but it has started to taste... not bad, but not as fresh. I don't mind eating it, and it would suck to let it go to waste... so is it a health hazard? And how long have you guys heard that it's okay to keep nut butters?

Replies

• footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I keep mine in the fridge, lasts longer. I'd have to check the expiry but I usually eat it within 6 months max! haha
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    fats will go rancid on exposure to air. Refrigeration slows the process as does putting it in a small container with a tight lid and not much airspace.
  • hausisse
    hausisse Posts: 90
    Options
    Okay! But how do I tell if it's rancid? It tastes a little different, not as fresh, but it's certainly edible. And the sell-by date was 5/23/2013, which wasn't too long ago; I just know that I've probably had it for a couple of weeks, and it's not been in the fridge.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    rancid fats smell bad. If it tastes and smells ok to you and doesn't have any exciting growths on it then you're good to go.

"Sell by" isn't "best before" or "use by" so there's plenty of margin I guess.
  • hausisse
    hausisse Posts: 90
    Options
    Thank you very much :)