Running shoes that won't break the bank?

Options
I've never run before in my life, but I've just gotten started with C25K and surprisingly I'm enjoying it. I'm running either on the treadmill, or on asphalt/sidewalk. I currently have a pretty crappy pair of sneakers from Target, and I'm ready to invest in a new pair of women's running shoes...

... except "invest" is a relative term, since I'm on an entry-level nonprofit salary. $50 I can manage, $100 I can manage if I have to, but it won't be easy.

Any recommendations for decent women's running shoes within that kind of price range?

Replies

• FrozenFlame22
    FrozenFlame22 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've really enjoyed my Merrell Trail Glove (mesh for summer) and Sonic Glove (solid for winter, but doesn't breathe well). They're both minimalist shoes, flex very well, but provide ample protection against the occasional rock. I got both pairs at REI for $60-85 after taxes buying on sale shoes at the end of the season with a member promotion. These shoes normally run $100 before taxes for this season's styles, so watching for sales can bring down that cost significantly.

I don't run because of overly tight tendons in my calves. Running tends to tear tendons more often than not so I generally do brisk walking for exercise, though I wear these shoes as everyday shoes all day. I've found that barefoot/minimalist shoes work best for me, but my preference may or may not match yours. I will say, however, that I wore the crappy cheap sneakers for years and felt a huge difference when I went to the minimalist type.
  • TnMustangMama
    TnMustangMama Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I found my New Balance,which I love,at Shoe Show for 40$. They are so light and comfortable.
  • gosioux08
    gosioux08 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I got my running shoes at Joe's New Balance Outlet online. The New Balance Minimus shoes I bought usually sell for $65-85 and I got them as a clearance deal of the day for $30 with free shipping and I love them!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    your best bet is to first figure out the type shoes you need for your running gait and then look for places that sell those cheaply. buying running shoes just because they are cheap might end up costing you more in the end with injuries if they arent the right ones for you
  • LisaO85
    LisaO85 Posts: 152
    Options
    your best bet is to first figure out the type shoes you need for your running gait and then look for places that sell those cheaply. buying running shoes just because they are cheap might end up costing you more in the end with injuries if they arent the right ones for you

I agree, if you have a running store nearby go there and have them fit you. Find out what type of shoe you need and what brand fits best. If you can swing it, buy your first pair of shoes right then and there. If the price is too high, tell them you need to think about it and then you can go home and search the web for the same brand/style and see if you can get them cheaper.

I like to patronize my local running stores since most of them are family run small businesses but running shoes can be expensive so I understand where you are coming from. I did 3 half marathons in a year last year and went through 4 pairs of shoes, I did end up buying some of my shoes online, I could get last years model at a huge discount.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, check out a running store and figure out what feels best for you. I personally love the nike free runs.
  • habundis
    habundis Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Go to a good running store, get fit, and find shoes you love. Then head on over to Amazon and find them for much cheaper. I wear Asic Kayanos and love them. The shoes are definitely worth the money though, so if you're going to splurge, this is the place to do it!
    Good luck with C25k! I just finished a few months ago and am working on 10k. I never would have thought I'd enjoy running...
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

This. You can get fitted for a shoe at a running store and then look for an older model of the same shoe online. Many manufacturers release style updates with minor tweaks to the features that you probably do not need to worry about (assuming you're a novice), so if you can find the previous edition, it will still probably be okay.
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I would suggest going to a running store and getting fitted and trying on some pairs. Don't buy unless it's in your price range, but rather search out the make and style you preferred online. Everyone is different and different brands fit differently. Personally I love New Balance because they have such a huge range of running shoes for women in all different widths.

I live in a small town and much prefer to shop at home for many reasons, but sometimes I just have to go online for price/selection.
  • TheRunningGuppy
    TheRunningGuppy Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of getting fitted at a running store, I plan on doing that soon. If you have a Ross store in your area, it's usually pretty easy to find reasonably priced athletic shoes.
  • whatjesseats
    whatjesseats Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Seconding the suggestion to go to a local running store. They will give you several options to try based on your running form, and in my experience, many of them will be within your price range (albeit toward the high end).

My advice would be to pick the one that feels best, not necessarily the cheapest one. The right shoes make a world of difference, and in my opinion, are well worth a little extra scrimping and saving.
  • JohnnyCashMoney
    Options
    As a triathlete off and on for 25 years, here is the secret: GO TO A RUNNING STORE AND GET FITTED. You don't have to buy them there, but you should let someone examine your gait. People who buy running shoes at discount stores are relying on the luck of the draw. If you don't run all that much (2 or 3 times a week for 20 minutes or less), it's not a big deal. But if you start running 4 or more days a week and you up your mileage, suck it up and buy the good stuff. Sell blood. Give up pizza.Whatever. Running on shoes that may be comfortable but are wrong for your feet can lead to long lasting injury.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    If you are short on money, you need to do your own research then pick the right shoes.
    1. Watch Youtube videos about 'pronation' and figure out whether you overpronate, underpronate, or neutral. Overpronators need 'stability' shoes while underpronators need 'cushioning' ones. If you underpronate and pick stability-type shoes you will suffer, the same the other way around.
    2. Go to runner's world website and use their shoe picker. If the pair they recommend is too expensive for your budget, search Amazon for the previous year's model. For example: if Brooks Glycerin 10 is too expensive for you, search for Glycerin 9, or even 8. If New Balance 1080 V3 is too much, try 1080 V2, and so on.
    3. You can also scour DSW or Kohl's for running shoes, but don't buy any pair until you check online whether they fit your gait.

Good luck.
  • NaomisGonnaWin
    NaomisGonnaWin Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    These are all really good suggestions, thank you everyone! I did day two of C25K today, it was really challenging but somehow I managed to push through and I'm feeling pretty proud of myself. But I do think that better shoes will make a big difference - I found it challenging to get into a "groove" when running, and I think I was pounding the pavement pretty hard.

I'll try checking out a running store over the weekend.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    If you are short on money, you need to do your own research then pick the right shoes.
    1. Watch Youtube videos about 'pronation' and figure out whether you overpronate, underpronate, or neutral. Overpronators need 'stability' shoes while underpronators need 'cushioning' ones. If you underpronate and pick stability-type shoes you will suffer, the same the other way around.

the thing is though, the issues you have when you walk aren't necessarily the same as when you run. for instance i overpronate when i walk but when i run it's neutral. if i went by how i walked then i'd be wearing cushioned stability shoes which are typically twice the price of the neutral running shoes i buy.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options

Second this^^^. Find out what type you need first (pronate, neutral, etc), then you can try lower priced models and pick one that works for your feet. For me, I wear Saucony Cohesion series. They are for a neutral gait and have worked well for my feet. $40-55 shoes.
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I've never run before in my life, but I've just gotten started with C25K and surprisingly I'm enjoying it. I'm running either on the treadmill, or on asphalt/sidewalk. I currently have a pretty crappy pair of sneakers from Target, and I'm ready to invest in a new pair of women's running shoes...

... except "invest" is a relative term, since I'm on an entry-level nonprofit salary. $50 I can manage, $100 I can manage if I have to, but it won't be easy.

Any recommendations for decent women's running shoes within that kind of price range?

I think someone else mentioned this, but go to a local running store that will see how you run and check your gait. Best $109 I ever spent. A little more than I liked, but it was well worth it...