Are you kidding me?!?!

Options
Chick-fil-A. has a great new market salad that is pretty awesome but the apple cider vinaigrette dressing that is recommended for it has more grams of fat than a small waffle fry (19 vs 16!) and almost as many calories (230!!).

I heard vinaigrette and assumed that it wasn't going to be too horrible, it wasn't until I was logging it that I realized how bad it was. I nearly cried, that one stupid packet of dressing cancelled out my work out.

Moral of the story, log first then eat!

Replies

• quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Salad dressing can be so sneaky. I also reach for the vinaigrette because it USUALLY is lighter. I'm sorry, that just stinks.
  • daltem
    daltem Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Down right deceiving!
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Oil is fatty, and fat has calories.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Before I started counting calories I thought eating salad was the way to go. I would eat salad for weeks with no results. Once I started counting calories and comparing my old habits, I was shocked needless to say. My idea of good salad involved 8oz of fried chicken strips, two ounces of cheese, and 4 packets of dressing. The grand total was like 1300 calories, pretty much as much as a triple whopper from burger king.

So like you said, always check servings/calories before you send it down the hatch.
  • waltbran
    waltbran Posts: 19
    Options

Very insightful, I can't believe such a nugget of wisdom was free!

My point was that apple cider vinegar has no calories, so the name apple cider vinaigrette was a quite misleading as it was not called "More Soy Bean Oil in a 2oz serving than order of fries dressing"
  • jsd_135
    jsd_135 Posts: 291 Member
    Options

My point was that apple cider vinegar has no calories, so the name apple cider vinaigrette was a quite misleading as it was not called "More Soy Bean Oil in a 2oz serving than order of fries dressing"

Vinaigrette is typically a mix of oil and vinegar. The classic ratio, I believe, is 2 parts oil to one part vinegar, but you can obviously lighten it up by reducing the proportion of oil.
  • mcwdvm
    mcwdvm Posts: 54 Member
    Options

Very funny.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    Salad dressing is made from the devils loins.

i always thought it was made in a test kitchen in some deep dark dungeon...but that location is much more awesome.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    You know that there are good fats and bad fats right?

That viniagrette is probably mixed with olive oil... which is a good fat.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Low fat cottage cheese has become my favorite dressing!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Chick-fil-A. has a great new market salad that is pretty awesome but the apple cider vinaigrette dressing that is recommended for it has more grams of fat than a small waffle fry (19 vs 16!) and almost as many calories (230!!).

I heard vinaigrette and assumed that it wasn't going to be too horrible, it wasn't until I was logging it that I realized how bad it was. I nearly cried, that one stupid packet of dressing cancelled out my work out.

Keep in mind that it's not necessarily bad. A lot of people (not saying you are) try to cut out way too much fat from their diet because they think fat makes you fat (I blame the '80s). A good, healthy, balanced diet should consist of about 20-30% fat. Fats are essential to absorbing the nutrients from other foods you eat...also brain function, nervous system function, and heart health.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Chick-fil-A dressing cheat code:
    High calorie: Zesty, Spicy, Buttermilk, Honey, Avocado
    Medium calorie: Reduced fat, Fat free
    Low calorie: Light
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

"Vinaigrette is an emulsion of vinegar and a form of oil, such as soybean oil, canola oil, olive oil, corn oil, sunflower oil, safflower oil, peanut oil, or grape seed oil" so the oil is kinda implied in the name
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Keep in mind that it's not necessarily bad. A lot of people (not saying you are) try to cut out way too much fat from their diet because they think fat makes you fat (I blame the '80s). A good, healthy, balanced diet should consist of about 20-30% fat. Fats are essential to absorbing the nutrients from other foods you eat...also brain function, nervous system function, and heart health.

Yep this.

Also, its well-documented that a lack of unsaturated fats, like the fat in olive oil, can cause your body to produce grehlin, the hormone that makes you feel hungry. If you get to a point where you are hungry no matter what you eat, you need to up your fat intake in unsaturated fats.

This happened to me. Started eating more PB and cooking with olive oil... no more constant hungries!
  • TLWallperson
    TLWallperson Posts: 125
    Options
    I had the market salad a couple of weeks ago, but I didn't use the dressing, nuts or granola. I know how many cals are in salad dressing so I never use it when I'm eating out, but the one time I did I about cried as well. I think the dressing had more cals then my whole salad. What a shock that was. That was the last time I used dressing on my salads.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options

I would have ate a sandwich instead.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Curleycue0314
    Curleycue0314 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    MY FAV SALAD OF ALL TIME from them!...I don't eat the extra crap they give you though! Try it with the berry Balsalmic. 70 calories for that one and i think it tastes better than the apple cider one anyway!
  • shellbatronic
    shellbatronic Posts: 193
    Options
    Just for fun, here are the ingredients:

Soybean oil, apple cider vinegar, sugar, water, honey, distilled vinegar, pineapple juice concentrate, lemon juice concentrate, salt, spice, lime juice (water, lime juice concentrate, lime oil), xanthan gum, potassium sorbate and sodium benzoate added as preservatives, natural flavor, garlic*, onion*, propylene glycol alginate, calcium disodium EDTA added to protect flavor. *dehydrated.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Try mixing fresh chopped mint with vinegar and a little sweetener. Pretty much nil cals . You can add a little olive oil as well if you can afford a few calories. :drinker: