Vitamin concerns

Options
Hi. I'm 43, 5'9" and about a hundred pounds overweight. What I've noticed in the past is when I take multivitamins, my weightless will slow or stop altogether. I know I should take them, but I'm seriously hesitant because I have so much to lose.

Has anyone ever experienced this before? It makes no sense to me.

Thanks!

Replies

• michellechawner
    Options
    I take several supplements a day, and have not had any issues. Which vitamins are you taking?

I take:
    Women's multivitamin
    Fish Oil
    Cranberry
    B-12
    B-Complex
    Vitamin C
    Acidophilus

Plus 3 prescriptions a day (Gabapentin. Birth Control, and Nortryptline)

(Yes, I take all these at the request of my Rhumatologist and Internal Medicine Doctor)

I dropped weight consistently for 6 weeks, now I'm at a bit of a plateau, but I'm pushing through and changing my calories and my exercise! Hopefully You can figure out if it's the vitamins, or just hitting plateaus. I've never heard of Vitamins stopping weight loss.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Were you tracking your intake (e.g. using MFP) when you noticed this correlation?
  • gg129
    gg129 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'd like to hear the responses to this too.

I took vitamins occasionally (not on purpose) and lost some weight. I am now taking them more regularly and the scale stopped budging... I didn't think this would be do to a multivitamin.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    that must be one heck of a vitamin. What is it?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Vitamins should have no impact at all on weight loss. My guess is that there was something else going on and you're making a spurious correlation with vitamins being the cause.
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I'd be suspicious that this is coincidence.

That said if it is happening...skip the multi-vitamins. There is surprisingly little evidence that they are beneficial for the average person. You'll be fine without them while pursuing weight loss.
  • Raspberry_Owl
    Raspberry_Owl Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've just taken the 1 A Day vitamin/mineral supplement for women.

No, this is the first time I've tried MFP. I lost 50 pounds in the past and journaled but did not use an app.
  • Raspberry_Owl
    Options
    The vitamins were the only variable. I'm pretty OCD so I typically eat the same menus over and over.
  • Raspberry_Owl
    Options
    That's what I was thinking as well. It just looms over me that I might be missing out on something I need.
  • Raspberry_Owl
    Options
    If you don't mind, come back and post in a week or two and let me know how you handled this. I'd like to know if your loss starts again or if you stop taking them how your loss is effected.

Thanks.