Calories. I'm confused

Options
Mfp has my calories @ 1340. Sedentary lose 2 lbs a week. My doctor today told me I have to eat between 1800-2000 a day to lose weight. He told me the 1340 is starvation for my weight. I'm afraid to eat that high of calories I know he's my doctor . It just seems like a lot. Please help

Replies

• truddy6647
    truddy6647 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    well than according to mfp in order for you to maintain the wt you are at you would need 2340 but that is if you do nothing all day but and are restricted to the bed/wheel chair. Most people are not thus they need beyond what mfp calls for as being their min. I would go with what your doctor has listed.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    The difference with 1800, is you lose 1 lb a week as opposed to 2. Bingeing is a concern on a low cal diet, maybe with 1800 you can eat closer to normal and not feel deprived or a failure.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Most people are not sedentary. Use lightly active and change your goal to the recommended 1 pound a week. Also remember this all takes time so don't expect to see instantaneous weightloss and don't throw in the towel after only a few weeks.
  • unicornlady77
    Options
    The difference with 1800, is you lose 1 lb a week as opposed to 2. Bingeing is a concern on a low cal diet, maybe with 1800 you can eat closer to normal and not feel deprived or a failure.
    exactly what I was going to say.
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    This is going to be a long journey for you. You will have to change calorie goals many times. 1800 is a good starting point, as you've likely been eating more than that.

Starting lower gives you no where to go downwards when you need to, and will likely cause some binging because you're hungry. You will experience more frequent plateaus as well. Start at 1800 and judge in a month. Good luck.
  • Kimberlyann21
    Kimberlyann21 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I switched my activity to the highest so it brought me to 1900 that's between the 1800-2000. I start tomorrow wish me luck
  • ashleyShades
    ashleyShades Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

I was in the same boat as you and a lot of MFP users told me to read this. It explained a lot to me.
  • sbrewer82973
    Options
    good ideal 1340 seems real low to start with u can always go down and don't forget what works keep to it
  • LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    You might lose weight at 1800-2000, but it will be at a very slow pace and it's even possible that you maintain or gain weight at that amount when you have a sedentary lifestyle.

Oh wait, I take that back. Depending on how much overweight you are, you burn more calories and thus 1800-2000 would allow you to lose weight. But I wouldn't call what mfp recommends starvation mode in any way.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    This is going to be a long journey for you. You will have to change calorie goals many times. 1800 is a good starting point, as you've likely been eating more than that.

Starting lower gives you no where to go downwards when you need to, and will likely cause some binging because you're hungry. You will experience more frequent plateaus as well. Start at 1800 and judge in a month. Good luck.

I started at 1500 for a few months, then bumped up to 1800. Haven't stopped losing yet and I'm 5'4, 137 pounds.
    OP if you have 128 pounds to lose you could probably eat 2500 and still lose easily.