Are you kidding me?!?!

Options

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Just for fun, here are the ingredients:

Soybean oil, apple cider vinegar, sugar, water, honey, distilled vinegar, pineapple juice concentrate, lemon juice concentrate, salt, spice, lime juice (water, lime juice concentrate, lime oil), xanthan gum, potassium sorbate and sodium benzoate added as preservatives, natural flavor, garlic*, onion*, propylene glycol alginate, calcium disodium EDTA added to protect flavor. *dehydrated.

Argh. Don't give away the secrets to my zesty home dressings! Sure most people can figure out oil, vinegar, honey, and spices, but slip in a little Ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid and SHAZAM. Get people lined up out the door.
  • HotrodsGirl0107
    HotrodsGirl0107 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Oil is fatty, and fat has calories.

Very insightful, I can't believe such a nugget of wisdom was free!

My point was that apple cider vinegar has no calories, so the name apple cider vinaigrette was a quite misleading as it was not called "More Soy Bean Oil in a 2oz serving than order of fries dressing"

Actually it was named correctly, what did you think a vinaigrette was? It isn't miss leading at all if you know what a vinaigrette is and what it is made of.
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Chick-fil-A. has a great new market salad that is pretty awesome but the apple cider vinaigrette dressing that is recommended for it has more grams of fat than a small waffle fry (19 vs 16!) and almost as many calories (230!!).

I heard vinaigrette and assumed that it wasn't going to be too horrible, it wasn't until I was logging it that I realized how bad it was. I nearly cried, that one stupid packet of dressing cancelled out my work out.

Moral of the story, log first then eat!
    I would have ate a sandwich instead.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I'm with you-if I'm going out to eat I'm definitely not getting a salad :)
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    wow.................................
  • melindasuefritz
    Options
    on e packet of low fat basalmic vinegertte dressing at mcdonalds is 35 calories
  • melindasuefritz
    Options
    no research your new items u are gonna eat and be prepared before you g o to resturaunt
  • Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    When i can't research my salad dressing in advance. I try to get my hands on a side of salsa. Extra veggies can't hurt you ever. Unless they are killer zombie veggies, but i don't think they have those a chik-a-fil
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Yeah... I don't put dressing on my salad now unless I made it from scratch myself. It's usually loaded with unexpected calories.
  • Davina_JH
    Davina_JH Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    no salad, no dressing, no problem. :glasses:
  • gracetillman
    gracetillman Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I have made a similar mistake. It was more from being put in an unexpected situation and making what I thought was the best choice. Lesson learned.
  • affacat
    affacat Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    i eat two huge salads every night (for reference, both are in mixing bowls). you can check my diary for ingredients if you care, though this past week i was away for a wedding so was off my norm, but today is accurate.

this is what i learned, over the course of months.... you don't need as much dressing as you think. i used to want to drown my salad, and now i only use 1 tablespoon (15g, measured) per salad... since salad dressing is usually listed at 2 tablespoons, that effectively means i am using 1 serving across two big salads.

and... it's plenty. not at first, mind you -- at first it seemed like a ridiculously tiny amount. but now, i can absolutely say it's plenty. i usually stick to relatively low cal ones (50ish cals per serving), but sometimes splurge for my second salad and go with one that's around 130 cals (but still, at half a serving, only 65).
  • waltbran
    waltbran Posts: 19
    Options
    I think the point may have been missed by some, it wasn't that the dressing had fat, if that was my concern i would have selected a fat free dressing, it was the amount in relation to the size. I am all for good fats, but if I am consuming nearly 30% of a traditionally recommend value of fat, I would rather make that allotment on something more satisfying than a condiment!
  • waltbran
    waltbran Posts: 19
    Options
    on e packet of low fat basalmic vinegertte dressing at mcdonalds is 35 calories

I will be sure to ask for that the next time I am at Chick fil a :)
  • irishscootz
    irishscootz Posts: 97
    Options
    Oil is fatty, and fat has calories.

Very insightful, I can't believe such a nugget of wisdom was free!

Amazing!!
    liar-liar-jim-carrey-o.gif
  • jennyrebekka
    jennyrebekka Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    wow.....i wouldn't have guessed it had as much fat as the fries either! we don't have chick-fil-a up here in WA, but i will definitely be on the look-out.....and not just assume the salad is the way to go from now on.
    thanks
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I just don't touch premade salad dressing anymore. Especially at a restaurant. It's great when they have oil and vinegar. If you're not in that classy of an establishment, you can often find some lemon wedges over by the drinks. Third option: hot sauce. I'm crazy about hot sauce.
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I love that salad... I put me some taxas Pete on it... also the Reduced Fat Berry Balsamic Vinaigrette is only 110 cals and 4g fat ...I use 1/2 the packet
  • mustang289
    mustang289 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I had the same type of disappointment after consuming a Taco Bell Cantina Bowl / salad.

You ASSUME its going to be good and healthy, and then when you log it you find the calories, the fat and especially the sodium are THROUGH THE ROOF
  • BrentJulius
    BrentJulius Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I get the grilled chicken sandwich and an 8 piece nuggets instead of fries= Close to 60 grams of protein while relatively low fat and moderate amount of carbs
  • gracekelli
    gracekelli Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Maybe just skip chick fil a altogether. they are a bunch of religious zealot weirdos.:laugh: