Macros and Calories

Options
OK, so does this seem strange to anyone...

Fact:
Carbs and Protein = 4 calories per gram
Fat = 9 calories per gram

Now when I look at my diary, it has 154g of carbs, 180g of protein and 51g of fat. By my calculations, this should equal 1,795 calories [ ((154+180)*4) + (51*9) ]

However, MFP says it all adds up to 1,731 calories. I know the calories and macros are entered correctly for everything because I always double check the label with whatever is listed in the database (sometimes people enter some really weird stuff compared to the label). Maybe I'm overthinking this (happens quite frequently) but this just seems kind of odd.

Replies

• HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I can't even get your breakfast to add up. Look at the cereal for starters: 24 g carbs, 3 g protein, 1 gram fat, so it should be (24+3)*4 +9 = 117 Cal, but it's listed as 80. Actually most of them don't add up. You checked it against the label? Remember that these are all just averages anyhow, and nutrition labels have quite a large margin of error anyhow.
  • kitka82
    kitka82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Yes my macros are not adding up either. I'm coming up with extra calories somewhere...
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I can't even get your breakfast to add up. Look at the cereal for starters: 24 g carbs, 3 g protein, 1 gram fat, so it should be (24+3)*4 +9 = 117 Cal, but it's listed as 80. Actually most of them don't add up. You checked it against the label? Remember that these are all just averages anyhow, and nutrition labels have quite a large margin of error anyhow.

Yep-everything is checked against the labels and I weigh everything, so I know the servings are accurate (at least on my end)
  • Ahmed_Gul
    Ahmed_Gul Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it just hit those damn macros :) You're over thinking in my eyes