To get a FitBit One or not?

Options
2»

Replies

• whyhelloheart
    whyhelloheart Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    New question. Guess I could start a new thread but, I am hoping someone here knows. Is there a big difference between the Fitbit and the Polar HRM? Are they basically the same type of device?

The Fitbit currently does not take your HR into consideration. That's the one thing that I don't like about it :( It does everything else, but your heartrate!
  • mkparis
    mkparis Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You will love it. It's an extra incentive to watch how many steps you actually take. There is a new organizaiton = everymove.org - fitbit syncs to that - it's a great program. I work for Blue Cross Blue Shield of NE and we are their "test" pilot; however, you can also join as an individual. Try it -
  • whirlybirdknits
    whirlybirdknits Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Get it. You won't regret it.

The biggest issue people seem to have is keeping up with it and making sure they don't wash it. I haven't lost mine yet - I clip it to the same spot on my pants pocket and make sure I wear it every night on my wrist when I go to bed. I also clip it so that the fitbit sits inside my pocket with the clip on the outside. That way the fitbit doesn't get as banged around in day-to-day activities. The outside of the clip is all torn up, but the fitbit is still happily in it case.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    New question. Guess I could start a new thread but, I am hoping someone here knows. Is there a big difference between the Fitbit and the Polar HRM? Are they basically the same type of device?

Fitbit is a pedometer
    Polar HRM is a HRM only

Fitbit will NOT measure your heart rate in the slightest, just like the Polar will not tell you steps/distance (unless it's one with a GPS pod as well) measure your sleep or tell you how many floors you climbed.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options
    Hi all,

Sorry to jump in on your thread with another question, but I've been considering getting one of these too - my only concern is that on reading reviews a lot of people have lost theirs due to the quality of the clip not being good enough - have any of you had this problem? Just I'd hate to spend £80 on something I may lose in a weeks time.

My husband broke the clip on his fitbit and the fitbit company replaced it. He now wears his clipped inside the "watch pocket" inside his pant pocket. fitbit has a new "flexband" that you wear the fitbit like a bracelet. I got the nike fuel band because I lost about 15 pedometers either by them falling off or by washing them accidently. I like the bracelet option and if my nike fuel band ever just absolutly dies and Nike doesn't replace it, I would probably go with the fitbit that comes in a bracelet.

Thanks for this, I'll look at the Nike one, I like the idea of a wristband over a clip I think. :)

I would suggest the FitBit Flex then! It's their latest product and it is a wristband that does everything else that a normal FitBit would do!

Unfortunately, so many people want it that they aren't in stock right now, but it will be WORTH IT when they come out! :D

Actually Flex is not tall the worth it. It counts hand movements as steps, so people like me who knit would get steps for doing nothing. Talking with your hands gets you steps.

Ditch the Flex...stick with the One.
  • whyhelloheart
    whyhelloheart Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Sorry to jump in on your thread with another question, but I've been considering getting one of these too - my only concern is that on reading reviews a lot of people have lost theirs due to the quality of the clip not being good enough - have any of you had this problem? Just I'd hate to spend £80 on something I may lose in a weeks time.

My husband broke the clip on his fitbit and the fitbit company replaced it. He now wears his clipped inside the "watch pocket" inside his pant pocket. fitbit has a new "flexband" that you wear the fitbit like a bracelet. I got the nike fuel band because I lost about 15 pedometers either by them falling off or by washing them accidently. I like the bracelet option and if my nike fuel band ever just absolutly dies and Nike doesn't replace it, I would probably go with the fitbit that comes in a bracelet.

Thanks for this, I'll look at the Nike one, I like the idea of a wristband over a clip I think. :)

I would suggest the FitBit Flex then! It's their latest product and it is a wristband that does everything else that a normal FitBit would do!

Unfortunately, so many people want it that they aren't in stock right now, but it will be WORTH IT when they come out! :D

Actually Flex is not tall the worth it. It counts hand movements as steps, so people like me who knit would get steps for doing nothing. Talking with your hands gets you steps.

Thought about that the other day, actually. I like my One because I just put it right on my bra and it doesn't confuse me for walking when I'm like driving or something.

I just wish it had a foot element to it so it would know that I was cycling :(
  • LaserMum
    LaserMum Posts: 133
    Options
    Isn't there anyone out there who doesn't like the FitBit?! LOL

I guess the general consensus is that I should get it. So I will.

I just have to order it so that I get it before I go on holiday now.

I'd love to get one for my daughter but her sport is sailing and the FitBit isn't waterproof and I'm not sure if it would measure the amount of exercise expended in 6 hours on the water competitive sailing! (It would take too long to save up for another one anyway - she gets enough spent on her too!)
  • Katie1951
    Katie1951 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Easy.....velcro on both fitbit & case..... simple

Awesome idea. I keep my slipped to my bra.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Another very happy Fitbit One owner (and I also use Velcro in the case and on the Fitbit, plus have it facing into my pocket). It's my silent nag to be more active, use the stairs etc. if you want it to track steps when cycling wear it in your pocket - works for me on a stationary bike anyway. I also log any non-walking activities so that any calories burnt are captured (eg swimming or strength training as well as cycling). It then syncs with MFP where I log my food. If I had to be super critical then the Community on Fitbit is a bit small so prefer here for information/entertainment! I do around 7000 steps a day so if anyone wants to add me (euther here or on Fitbit!) then feel free :)
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options
    Hi all,

Thought about that the other day, actually. I like my One because I just put it right on my bra and it doesn't confuse me for walking when I'm like driving or something.

I just wish it had a foot element to it so it would know that I was cycling :(

Attach it to your shoelace, facing inwards so the shoelace holds it all in place, it will count the cycling 'steps' easy
  • LissaK1981
    LissaK1981 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I have had both the fitbit ultra and the one. I bought the ultra 1st and because of the way it was designed the plastic frame of it broke. It still worked, but I am rough on stuff, so I gave it to a friend on here. I love it so much I bought the new model "the one" from the site. I love the sync function. I love how you can track so much different stuff on it, including sleep. I know when you use the sleep function it does count movement. You put the fitbit on the arm your non-dominant arm while you sleep. If you move around it will show up on a graph and show you what time. So it gives you an idea of if you were moving around a lot. You can adjust the sensitivity level to movement as well. You can also track whatever you want on the site which is nice. If you dig comparing numbers and tracking progress it is great. I recommend. I have also compared it to my treadmill, the motoactv and the polar ft4 HRM and the calorie estimate is really close on walking and running on flat to light incline ground. When I do other activities, or steep hikes I rely on my polar for calories burned.