Where can I buy professional plus sized clothes CHEAP?

Options
Sweet_Misery_
Sweet_Misery_ Posts: 29 Member
I'm a size 26/28 and starting a new job Monday where I need to wear full suit every day. I have one nice black blazer and 2 pairs of nice black slacks but that's basically it. I don't want to spend a lot of money because first of all I don't have a lot! Also, I don't want to be in this size for long, hopefully! Actually one of my pairs of pants was already a lot looser this morning than the last time I wore them thanks to starting MFP :D

Thanks for any ideas!!

Replies

• Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Do you mind buying used clothing?
  • fmancini
    fmancini Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Old Navy is dirt cheap, has free returns (their plus size is only online) and there are always 15-20-30% off or more codes. Free shipping over $50 too usually. ON has really bad vanity sizing, though it's getting better, so generally order a size down/pay attention to customer reviews depending on the piece.
  • Skrymmorie
    Skrymmorie Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I go to a few different stores. My fave is Burlington Coat Factory. I usually find a great selection of stuff there. I also hit up Bealls Outlets in my area. There's a couple of small chain stores in my area with both misses and plus sizes, called Cato's and Dots. Dots also has an online store. Target has a big plus size collection online, too. Wal-Mart is usually my last choice, as their pants usually don't look good on me. I'm 26/28 too, and I know it can be difficult to find professional clothing. Lane Bryant is great, but too expensive most of the time. I like Avenue, and they sometimes have good sales. I'm a bit of a clothes horse, so I've been trying to curb my shopping inclinations, since I'm working out and losing weight. I wear a lot of long dresses, since they can camouflage a lot. I hope this helps out some. Congrats on the new job. :)
  • obeseandsassy
    obeseandsassy Posts: 118
    Options
    there's a facebook group called fattoo that i'd recommend, and i'd also recommend onestopplus.com :)
  • mfleeg
    mfleeg Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    If you're planning on losing weight, I definitely recommend thrift shopping. My entire professional wardrobe is thrift shop, because instead of one suit from a department store, I could afford about 15 pairs of pants, 20 dress shirts, and four blazers. :) And I don't feel so bad when I go down a size or two because when I can donate them back to the thrift shop and then find more goodies!

my recommendation is to go early and go often. :) that's how you find the best stuff.
  • 1104Jen
    1104Jen Posts: 27
    Options
    The Goodwills in my area have a lot of plus size clothing in that size (i'm the same size). I'd check there. First Saturday of the month is 50% off day!
  • fmancini
    fmancini Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Also Target has some decent professional tops that always look good under blazers.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Definitely Good Wills in well to do suburbs.
  • nonoark
    nonoark Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    If you are on this site to change your dress size ( I think we all are :)), I recomend going to second hand stores. You can do really well and be amazed. Just be a little picky and don't be afraid to try on. As I venture on my path of weight loos, it is the only way that I go. This month I can be an 18, but next month??? I also have a friend of mine who was in the same situation and we were close in size, so....she shopped my closet! Congrats on the new job, so proud to see this. Good luck!
  • dawnj87
    dawnj87 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    If you're planning on losing weight, I definitely recommend thrift shopping. My entire professional wardrobe is thrift shop, because instead of one suit from a department store, I could afford about 15 pairs of pants, 20 dress shirts, and four blazers. :) And I don't feel so bad when I go down a size or two because when I can donate them back to the thrift shop and then find more goodies!

my recommendation is to go early and go often. :) that's how you find the best stuff.

I wish I could find any plus size clothes at a thrift store in my size. I can never find any.:sad:
  • mfleeg
    mfleeg Posts: 137 Member
    Options

I wish I could find any plus size clothes at a thrift store in my size. I can never find any.:sad:

I think it is because in my area, I have about six different awesome thrift stores to choose from and I continue to go back. If you don't find anything in your size one day, that doesn't mean they won't three days from then!! :) I think that is the thing with thrift shopping-- you have to be patient about that kind of stuff because unlike in a regular store, you can't walk to the racks and automatically find your size! :)
  • Sweet_Misery_
    Sweet_Misery_ Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies!!! I had no idea about the half off days, I will definitely try Goodwkll tomorrow!