Tuna/Salmon

Options
LonLB
LonLB Posts: 1,126 Member
IS CHEAP, tons of protein and really low cal.

But I need some ideas to use this stuff.

My current open can/pouch, and eat as is with hot sauce or Oyster sauce is not only old, but not all that tasty, and SUPER, SUPER high in sodium.

Replies

• sparklingday
    sparklingday Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    starkist now has a tuna that is 50% less sodium. I don't notice any difference in the flavor. I add a can of tuna to my salads. Not very inventive I know... but it is different than what you are currently doing.
  • sparklingday
    sparklingday Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    another standard idea is just tuna and tomato. that is pretty good
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I feel for ya. I can't eat Tuna out of can or pouch. There is just something about it. I wish I liked it though.

Why not try fresh tuna and just throw in a sauce pan with salt and pepper? At least it will taste fresh and not have all that sodium.
  • hannahpistolas
    hannahpistolas Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Mix tuna, cut up pickles, mustard, and a little bit of low fat mayo... Spread on sandwich thin... VIOLA. Delicious. As an added, use Borden fat-free American cheese slices (30 calories) and/or hot sauce.
  • Michaelsdin
    Michaelsdin Posts: 146
    Options
    get salmon frozen or freesh ad in frozen veggie medla (already cut and everything) the salmon oil will keep it from sticking mix in a pan if frozen salmon let cook for a couple min then add veggies if thawed add all at once. add some salsa and the end.

Another thing get some brown rice with fresh veggies steamed cook salmon anyway prefer add to top and cover with veggies. little teriyaki sauce or non.
  • jolt28
    jolt28 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I cook canned, drained salmon in with scrambled eggs - it sounds weird but it's good :)
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    I personally like it with a little bit of roasted garlic, olive oil, pepper, and a squeeze of fresh lemon, but a lot of people may not like the fishy taste. A friend of mine actually hooked me up with this recipe that is not only delicious, but packed with many of the necessary food groups, while keeping a low sodium count and not much of the bad stuff.

If you are worried about sodium, use light or low sodium soy sauce instead of oyster sauce or Tabasco or choluha hot sauce instead of franks since they don't have the high sugar/sodium count and no added butter.

"Middle Eastern Tuna"
    INGREDIENTS
    • 1/3 cup nonfat plain yogurt
    • 2 tablespoons tahini, or fruity extra-virgin olive oil
    • 1 teaspoon lemon juice
    • 2 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
    • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
    • 1 6-ounce can solid white tuna in water, drained and flaked
    • 1 8-ounce can chickpeas, (3/4 cup), drained and rinsed
    • 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
    • Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste

PREPARATION
    1. Whisk together yogurt, tahini or olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and cumin in a bowl. Stir in tuna, chickpeas and parsley and season with salt and pepper.
    NUTRITION
    Per serving: 220 calories; 7 g fat ( 1 g sat , 2 g mono ); 18 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 21 g protein; 4 g fiber; 531 mg sodium; 392 mg potassium.
    Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (68% daily value), Folate (23% dv), Iron & Vitamin C (17% dv).
    Carbohydrate Servings: 1
    Exchanges: 1 starch, 3 lean meat, 1 fat

Here are some links to other great recipes that I've used:
    http://www.besthealthmag.ca/recipe/pasta-and-tuna-salad-with-zucchini-and-sundried-tomato-pesto
    http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/nicoise_salad/
    http://www.besthealthmag.ca/recipe/tomato-tuna-melt
  • bloominheck
    bloominheck Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Salmon is my number treat meal. I adore it. I usually broil it with a little s/p and roast veggies. Heaven! :heart:
  • dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Mix with an avacado and some sea salt, makes a great healthy tuna/salmon salad. Way better than mayo.
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Woah there nelly! Salmon is about 10 bucks a pound here.
  • tomii13
    tomii13 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I hate mayo. So I usually mix mine with hummus. Then I add w.e. I have, peppers, pickles, olives, hard boiled eggs, it's endless. Or just tuna and hummus if I'm feeling lazy.

Dollop into a salad, or make a sandwich, or a wrap. And cheese, or not. Make a panini.

Get creative.
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I mix tuna/salmon with half of a small chopped avocado and eat that way. Sometimes I mix it with cottage cheese. Sounds weird but it's so rich and satisfying.