A.M or P.M.???

Options
Ok, so I have been working out at night after work. Usually around 6pm, but I have heard there are benefits to working out in the early morning. I have sleep apnea and don't respond well to my cpap machines, so getting up in the mornings are difficult already, much less 5am! Anyone here do the early mornings and prefer it better? By the time I get home at night with both kids, I don't feel like doing much, so I usually only get about 25-30 min done and then I have to go cook dinner for the family. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!

Replies

• ismatts
    ismatts Posts: 62
    Options
    I would give it a try for a few days and see if you actually have more energy throughout the day. Doesn't hurt to try and see how it goes.

Morning workouts seem to be more peaceful to me. less surrounding distractions.

good luck!!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    There is no magic time of day and there are benefits to different times of the day including the evening. The only thing you should focus on is getting it done each day and 30 minutes is enough as long as you are consistent!

I find that early morning workouts make me tired mid-day and I find that too late in the evening and I'm unable to fall asleep, the best time of day for me is between 11am and 4pm and my most productive workouts usually fall in the 2pm -3pm range.
  • granmalaura
    granmalaura Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi. This is a personal choice problem. I like forcing myself out of bed in the mornings to take the dog for a run on the beach. We do interval running, i.e. 2 minutes running 2.5 minutes walking for 1 hour then walk for 1 hour. So 2 hours down the line and we return home to our breakfast and the rest of the day. Due to having my grandchildren this week, I am not able to get out first thing in the morning, but when their granddad comes home in the evening, I cannot be bothered to go out and run/walk then, so definitely mornings are better for me.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Morning workouts seem to be more peaceful to me. less surrounding distractions.

Agreed! But I can't get myself up consistently so I do it at night. I say whenever you can get it done is the best time for YOU.
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Give it a shot. At least you can try and see if you like it.

Fitness magazine recently had an article about 10 ways to boost your metabolism. #9 was working out at night:

9. Schedule a nighttime workout.

Do a 20- to 30-minute moderate-intensity cardio routine before you hit the hay to keep your metabolism humming all night, Porcari says. The average woman's metabolic rate naturally decreases by about 15% while she sleeps, but an end-of-day sweat session will make the drop closer to 5%, he explains. So take the dog for an evening walk or go for a bike ride with your family after dinner. And don't worry that the activity will keep you awake: As long as you exercise at least two and a half hours before lights out, you should be able to drift off with no problem, Breus says.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/weightloss/2010-07-27-fitness-metabolism_N.htm
  • BOGmama2010
    BOGmama2010 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    It is whatever works for you. I have actually read that in the late afternoon (4ish?) that you are most alert and you are able to give your best in your workout. However, that time doesn't work at all for me. Hubby and I wake up at 5:30 and work out for an hour to an hour and a half 6 days a week. Last week, we didn't get to do 2 of the workouts until after our sons went to bed (8:30ish) and we were grumpy and arguing with each other and both times almost didn't finish because we had such bad attitudes. We got the workouts done, but it made us realize how much we enjoy our early morning workouts instead. Hope you find something that works for you!
  • 623Hernandez
    Options
    I have sleep apnea too. I have lost a little over 20 pounds and my boyfriend says my snoring has decreased. So once we lose weight our sleep will improve also! YAY! I don't use a Cpap cuz I am a chicken. I can't get up in the mornings either!!!!!!!!!!! Working out any is better than not! Just try not to work out right before bed. I have read that it interferes with our precious sleep. You are doing great 17 pounds lost all ready! Keep up the good work!
  • JustJudy
    JustJudy Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I am a mother to three children and also work full time. It is crazy hectic trying to get my work out in AFTER work with homework and dinner. I prefer working out in the am so I can check it off my list and know that very little will interrupt me and my workout at 5:00 am!! Now I work in the schools and have been off since the beginning of July...whether or not I can get back into the swing of things next week remains to be seen! Good luck carving out some 'ME" time!:happy:
  • Sumatra
    Sumatra Posts: 181
    Options
    I am not a morning person but I have always found that I exercise much more consistently when I exercise first thing in the morning. Then, no matter what happens throughout the rest of the day, at least I know I got that one good exercise session in. I often do additional exercise in the afternoons and/or evenings, but I feel so much better knowing that if I'm tired in the evening and have had a rough day, at least I got in that one exercise session. Even when it's hard, and it is usually hard for me to get started, I do it every morning. Usually once I get warmed up then it gets easier to keep going and then I enjoy it.

I say give it a try for a week or two and weigh the pros and cons of both morning and evening exercise. Ultimately, you just have to find what works for you and your goals.

GOOD LUCK!
  • lcouterm
    lcouterm Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    There is no best time for exercise
    If you're simply walking to get healthy or take off some weight, it doesn't matter when you do it, as long as you do it. But if you're an athlete looking for the best-quality workout, choose the late afternoon, when body temperature is highest. Muscles are warm, reaction time is quick, and strength is at its peak. If you push yourself harder as a result, you will burn more calories. But remember I really don't matter so long as you JUST DO IT.
  • jodiking
    jodiking Posts: 30
    Options
    I have a hard time getting up early enough to work out in the mornings too. If I can make myself get up and make it part of my daily schedule it gets easier and easier. I prefer early morning because then when I get home after work in the evenings I know I don't have to work in my workout time. I also feel better about myself throughout the day because I know I have already done my workout.

I hope to get into a morning workout schedule asap = )
  • lizziewhan
    lizziewhan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    i am not a morning person at all! but for the last two weeks i have been up at 530 am to workout. it is extremely hard for me to roll out of bed...and it has changed my schedule up so some days i am tired and want a little nap in the afternoon. but there were two days last week where i worked out with my sister in the afternoon and it was crazy with the kids around..they wouldnt let us get the job done. so as much as i hate early mornings...its the best time to just get it over with.

i do find that i have more energy in the evenings though!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I absolutely prefer am workouts.....I feel more alert for the day and it's nice to know that your workout is over and done with for the day. I workout later in the day when I absolutely have to, my workouts tend to less intense, thus resulting in lower calorie burn and I just don't enjoy it as much, and I'm too inclined to just not do it at all.
  • Lisamarie1226
    Lisamarie1226 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I absolutely prefer am workouts.....I feel more alert for the day and it's nice to know that your workout is over and done with for the day. I workout later in the day when I absolutely have to, my workouts tend to less intense, thus resulting in lower calorie burn and I just don't enjoy it as much, and I'm too inclined to just not do it at all.

I totally agree!

I was never a morning person but I was doing 2-3 times a week at 5 am for about an hour and 15 minutes plus my weekend workouts. Then I moved home and work locations and due to my long @ss commute, had to nix the AM workouts. I still try to do at least 1 early morning workout. I really miss my AM workouts. I did find that I got that mid day slump and I got hungrier a lot earlier in the day too.

I do like that the gym is quieter and there are less people there. No one is annoying at 5 am either! Only serious people get up to workout that early, so you don't have to deal with those irritating cell phone yappers :-)

But you do have to do what's best for you and find a way to commit to that schedule.

Good luck!