High Stress Weight Loss?

Options
Hi, I'm Amy, I'm 25 and over the last year have regained the 2 stone I lost with slimming world. I have found that in my new job (with 6 days off, 150 hour week, 2 days off, 60 hour week, rota) in a high stress life and death decision situations, that no matter how well I eat I didnt loose and if I so much as look at cake or chocolate I gained!

High cortisol = insulin antagnonism = no chance to loose?

I really want to get back into my size 12's instead of 16's (UK sizes), I'm moving back to London after a year away and I need to gte my london body back!

Replies

• shagybear33
    Options
    Hi!

I'm interested to see what the replies are.

I too am dealing with a lot of stress and have gained weight despite running 5-6 times a week and being very careful with my food intake!!

Wish I could offer some advice, but am looking for some myself! :D
  • metizzy2
    metizzy2 Posts: 122
    Options
    Stress does hinder weight loss. Since your job is so stressful, have you tried methods to ease the stress such as yoga and/or meditation? I'm sure combining both will help you achieve your goal. How much exercise do you get? If you can do interval training, that will help boost your metabolism which should also help.
    Feel free to add me as a friend. We are all here for you! Good luck!
  • leiacw
    leiacw Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi!

I'm also dealing with a lot of stress, as I finish my PhD in biomedical science. It definitely affects my weight gain/loss - I remember a period of time when I was so stressed I couldn't eat very much at all due to nausea, yet I still gained that month! It's so important not just for weight loss but for your overall health & immunity to find some way of destressing. I try to spend 20-30 minutes a day doing something that relaxes me - reading, taking a bath, playing with the dog - and that really helps.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Stress releases hormones (glucocorticoids if I'm not mistaken) into your body that will actually cause it to hold on to every calorie it can and what you do take in is most likely going to be converted into fat which is more easily digested in case the body needs it (yay zoology major). This makes weight loss incredibly difficult.

It's good to continue exercising and eating well. However it is best to find a way to handle your stress. Short of eliminating it from your life find out what relaxes you and make it a point to do that. Even if it's just a little bit everyday you may find that it helps throughout the whole day. For me, exercising in the morning leaves me feeling more upbeat and positive even through tough days at work.

Also, if you love your job and don't want to leave it this may be something that you have to live with, and may eventually adapt to. Of course, if you don't like your job I highly suggest finding another.
  • jinxdflame
    Options
    As luck would have it, I am starting a new job with more sensible hours (I'm a vet who was on an internship but now has a 'normal' vet job).

I plan to join a gym which has a couple of good classes a week that I like (as I used to do at uni) and am using my wii fit way more now (love it, though my triceps are screaming today - woo, bye bye bat wings!)

You are corrcet in the science of stress hormones (yay vet degree), I just dont want it to be an excuse! I havent gained in a way that is all around my middle or anything like before, its mainly hips and legs so other people dont notice as much but still kills wearing my nice jeans for me :(

I intend to try out a yoga class a week for the stress and live in an apartment with a bath (mine only has a shower) so I can read in the bath and de-stress!
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I don't have the proper mentality to be a vet but I have nothing but admiration for them! I'm glad to hear that you're getting more normal hours, that'll definitely help your body figure itself out and going to the gym is always great .

Don't look at hormones as an excuse so much as an explanation. In this situation it's unfortunate that it just worked out that way and that's how your body reacted. It'd be an excuse if you used that as a reason to give up even trying instead of fighting to adapt or make other such changes :)

Keep those jeans! You'll be fitting into them very nicely in no time! Good luck!