Need CHEAP recipe to feed 4 people

Options
mommy2ans
mommy2ans Posts: 93 Member
I need some recipe ideas that are easy and cheap to feed 4 people.

1.....2.....3...GO! :)

Replies

• dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I need some recipe ideas that are easy and cheap to feed 4 people.

1.....2.....3...GO! :)
    Go to www.5dollardinners.com
    This woman is INCREDIBLE....and her children can't have ,milk or gluten, so she always shows an alternative to them. Saved me when I was in a pinch and had like 20 dollars for a weeks worth of food
  • SaraTN
    SaraTN Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Check out FoodNetwork Melissa D'Arabian she does a show and has recipes posted for $10 dinners.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    3 lb frozen chix breast, $6.50
    Bottle of store brand BBQ sauce, $1.50
    (chix in the sauce, foil on cookie sheet, bake 350 'til done)
    5 lb package long grain rice, $3
    (and that'll side dish a LOT of dinners)
    lb fresh green beans, $1
    Head of lettuce, $1
    Big tomato, $2
    (Need a little salad dressing, S&P, butter, stuff like that. Kitchen stock stuff)

Dinner for 4+, $15, give or take.
  • aprueitt
    aprueitt Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Stir fry? Here the chicken "bits" are very cheap. Add some carrots, celery, onion and snap peas. Serve with rice.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Cheap, filling but not the best for you . This was our favorite "day before pay day" meal.

1 lb ground beef (lower the fat the better, but the more expensive) personally I would rather have 1/2 lb 7% fat .......
    2 boxes of Kraft mac and cheese
    1 can tomato soup

Cook mac and cheese as normal
    crumble and sautee the beef
    drain beef and add to the mac n cheese add the can of tomato soup (can add a bit of milk if you want it creamier0
    if you have some grated cheddar it is nice on the top

shrimp/spaghetti/ alfredo

I get the shrimp when it is super cheap-or chicken can be replaced
    make the spaghetti and when almost done, last 5 minutes throw in the shrimp
    drain once cooked
    put hot stuff back in the pan and add a jar of alfredo (they have plain, garlic or even a yellow cheese one that is good)
    fluff it all together. Yummo

chilli dogs
    can of tomatoes
    chili powder
    can red kidney beans
    1/2 lb ground beef/turky/chicken
    1/2 lb grated cheddar
    hot dogs (can get really cheap, and buy one get one is on right now!)

these are all favorite cheapies for us!
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    3 cups uncooked rice - $.50 ?
    1 can coconut milk - $1.50
    1 cup water - FREE!
    1 small can pineapple tidbits - $.88
    1 cup coconut flakes - $ .50
    2 chicken breasts (optional)

Steam the rice in the coconut milk and water. When done add the rest of the ingredients. 6 2 cup servings easy.
  • mdeanne
    mdeanne Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Something we really like that is healthy and is pretty cheap to make... grilled tilapia fish tacos. Tilapia is cheap, and all you need besides that is corn tortillas, lettuce, tomato, salsa... or you can make a slaw in place of the lettuce. Lots of various recipes online for fish tacos. Hope this helps!
  • hawaiibound
    Options
    bump
  • chelseagirlfl
    chelseagirlfl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Hi this may not be your style but a great couple of sites to try .

www.hillbillyhousewife.com - low budget meals and home making

www.supercook.com - just enter what you have in your pantry and it will give you recipes for just those items
  • estherguas
    estherguas Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Do the Bumpy Bump
  • meokk
    meokk Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I made a good one last night.....
    Turkey Bolognese with Whole Wheat Angel Hair - makes 8 Adult portions

- 1lb 99% fat free ground turkey - $6 (sometimes on sale 2 for 1 so I buy 4 and freeze)
    - 2 med onions - $2
    - 6 med carrots - $2
    - 2 large cans diced tomatoes - $5
    - 1/2 tblspn dried oregano (optional)
    - 2 tablespoons canola oil
    - 1/2 cup milk
    - 1/2 cup red or white wine (optional)
    - 1 1/2 boxes whole wheat angel hair - $3

For $16-19 I'm making 8 adult sized servings AND it's delicious !

Heat oil in large pot
    Dice the onions & carrots and cook in pot over medium heat until softened
    Add the ground turkey and cook through
    over med/high heat add milk and reduce until no liquid visible
    over med/high heat add wine and reduce until no liquid visible
    reduce to low/med temp and add both cans of tomatoes, simmer uncovered for approx 45 mins, until sauce is thick and not watery

ENJOY!!!!
  • twinsmomma02
    twinsmomma02 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    bag of frozen chicken breasts or tenderloins
    6 red potatoes, cubed
    2 small onions
    2 cans of 98% fat free cream of mushroom soup.

Cook in crock pot on low for 8 hours. This is a simple recipe and made my family of three about 10 meals all together!
  • meana717
    meana717 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    bump bump bump
    I totally needed the same thing!!
  • SouthernBell86
    SouthernBell86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Home made chili -

1 cup dry red kidney beans
    1 cup pinto beans
    1 onion, diced
    1 lb ground beef
    1 can stewed tomatoes
    1 small can tomato sauce
    1 packet of chili seasoning

(All of those things can be bought at sale prices, but that should cost about 6 dollars)

Soak the kidney beans for 48 hours, the pinto beans for 24 hours (this will eliminate any gassy effects), then start cooking the beans in the slow cooker the night before you want the chili. In the morning brown the ground beef, and cook half the onion in with the beef. Stir the beef and onions into the beans, and then add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, rest of the onion and the chili packet.

Serve it with a baked potato to complete the meal and stretch it further.

If you are trying to cook on a budget, I would assume that you stock up on large bags of these types of dry beans when they are on sale, (super cheap source of healthy protein, fiber and potassium!) so really finding a variety of good bean recipes will be key. As long as you soak beans properly they won't give you gas.

I also suggest that you do some stir fry's with beans, rice and a few veggies. Beans and rice combined together form a whole protein, and both are good to buy in bulk at cheap prices.

Another great thing to do is look out for whole chickens on sale, and then cook it in the pressure cooker and save all the broth for other meals, and pick apart the chicken meat to use for two or three meals. If you don't have a pressure cooker, you can put the chicken in the slow cooker overnight and cook it that way. Just DON'T throw away the broth. You can use the broth for all kinds of soups, including making your own cream based soups for cheap casseroles (all you need for a cream based soup is broth, milk, butter and flour). It isn't "glamorous" to debone a chicken that way, but you can really get your dollars worth out of it.

Good luck!
  • mifire2000
    Options
    THIS IS SOOO GOOD! ~~~~~ One package chicken breast, one onion, one green pepper, one jar prego spqagetti sauce...one box rogatoni noodles. Cook chunked cut chicken 5 min, add chopped onion n green peppers. Cook till done. Add spagetti sauce. Simmer till noodles are done...put it together and yummy dinner.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Hi this may not be your style but a great couple of sites to try .

www.hillbillyhousewife.com - low budget meals and home making

www.supercook.com - just enter what you have in your pantry and it will give you recipes for just those items

Thanks for posting about supercook. I just looked at it for the first time--fantastic. Every recipe I ran across so far has nutritional info too,--VERY handy!!!
  • blel0906
    Options
    Have a family of 4 also very picky eaters,so I've had to get creative husband does not like pasta or Turkey , its taken awhille but he doesn't complain about chicken anymore as long as I avoid breast. Kids don't like Hot Dogs or Fish. Some things we like I don't have per serving/meal calculations, when I cook I like to go quick and easy...Husband is quite a bit more creative (and messy)...These are pre diet but not all too terrible if you eat in moderation. I have been managing to keep my grocery bill between $80-$125 week I rarely use coupons unless I run across one in the store

Breakfast for Dinner

Any of the Zatterans rice mix's Red Beans and Rice, Black Beans and Rice with Keibasa (or Turkey Sausage)I can usually find them 2 for $5. Dirty Rice with ground beef..Yellow Rice with Chicken

Couple sandwich meals- I LOVE French Dips
    We came up with this little creation we call Buffalo Chicken Dunk Sandwich Deli Chicken Breast, Romaine Lettuce, a little Maries Chunky Blue Cheese Dressing...use a deli roll and we press the roll in the George Forman Grill...Heat up some Buffello wing sauce and use it for dipping (like the french dip)

The cheap family pack of borritos (serously I think its $4 for 12 at Walmart),,,I jazz them up with echalada sauce, a little shreded cheese, and a dalop of sour cream

Taco night

If you have a local butcher shop check out their prices I have one here I can get 5lbs of ground beef for $10, its chuck but doesn't seem all that fatty cheaper than the grocery and better than the cheap stuff in a tube you can buy at the grocery. I sometimes drain the beef and rise it off after I cook it..

For about $6 you can get a 5lb bag of Chicken Quarters (No big breast fans in my house) We've baked them in a Chicken and Yellow Rice Mix but usually Grill them with some BBQ sauce..

I did try a recipe someone got at a WW meeting for Chicken Breast and it was good, everyone liked it but requested next time I make I use a thiner chicken breast...place the breast in a casserole dish and cover in Ranch Dressing (low fat version) sprinkle with Itallian Bread Crumbs...It was surprisingly really good.

Ribs in the crockpot-throw them in with a can of beer or coke and a bottle of bbq sauce.

Soups my husband makes a big batch of 15 bean soup and we also make a creamy vegitable soup you can find the recipe online by looking for Dolly Partons Creamy Veg soup its Veg all (better with fresh vegi'sbut the canned is easier on the budget) half and half chicken broth some spicesand butter

I only use a pound of ground beef in any of the add beef meals
    I keep my eyes open for sales especially on meats which kill the grocery budget.
    I buy store brands unless I know their is a quality issue (I was once told the store brands were made by the name brand companies just packaged differently)

WOW didn't intend to go on an on but hope this helps
  • baypathgradLyns
    baypathgradLyns Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mamaleo1976
    mamaleo1976 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    bump :)