The Inside Scoop

Options
So I've been seeing a nutritionist once a month to help keep me accountable. I've seen him twice and he always gives me wonderful advice and tidbits to help me out.

I figure why not share the wealth of knowledge with my fellow MFPers. So listed below are the most interesting points he made over the past two visits.

1. Weigh yourself on Monday and Friday first thing in the morning. That way you can see how you do during the week vs. the weekend. I just started this on Monday. I think this will be a big eye opener for me.
2. Eat 5 meals a day. Breakfast, Snack, Lunch, Snack, and Dinner. If you must skip a meal make it the mid morning snack. You never want to come home from work starving.
3. Eat your dinner on a salad plate. If you can't make yourself eat slowly enough to allow your brain to let you know when you're full, then you've already portion sized your meal to prevent over-eating.
4. Exercise, Exercise, Exercise!!! At least 30 minutes, 4-5 times a week. Mornings are actually best. It will help jump start your metabolism for the day.
5. Eat 10-20 grams of protein with each meal. Protein is the most satiating food element out there. (And to think my whole life I thought it was carbs that were supposed to curb my cravings!!)
6. You don't have to eat meat to get most of your protein. Whole grains and legumes are just as nutrition packed as meat, and they actually digest easier.
7. The combination of protein and exercise for about a month will help kick the sweet tooth and carb cravings. This will also help jump start your body to get into fat burning mode.
8. Try to get about 25 grams of fiber a day. (This is specific to women.)
9. If you are getting around 60-80 grams of protein and about 25 grams of fiber a day, you are probably eating pretty healthily.
10. If you are shocked by your sugar intake on MFP, this one's for you. Pay attention to the kind of sugar you are eating. As long as it comes from natural sources (fruit) don't worry too much about it. Try to keep your refined sugar intake as low as possible.

I know some of these pointers are pretty self explanatory, but all in all I'm learning more than I ever knew about proper nutrition and how to take care of my body. I just hope that others can find this helpful as well.

I've posted this on my blog as well. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/butrfly86

I'm new to this blog thing, but will try to post any more new tidbits I get.

Replies

• sissytx
    sissytx Posts: 50
    Options
    Thank you. Thats great info.
  • summerblunden
    summerblunden Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Love it!! Your nutritionist knows what they are talking about!! I like the weigh M and F tip, though I weigh Sunday am to keep me accountable on Saturday, but if you need the extra motivation, I like that idea.
    I'm SURE if you keep seeing him, track your food on here, and listen to his advice, you will have no problem acheiving your goals!
  • katcassard
    katcassard Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Great advice! Thanks for the tips!
  • 623Hernandez
    Options
    Thanks!!!!!
  • BOGmama2010
    BOGmama2010 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I find #7 to be VERY true. Thanks for posting!