Cleanses

Options
I don't understand the notion of cleansing. Your body's not a garburator that you clean once in awhile. It's a piggy bank that every day you make a deposit to your health. If you eat horrible foods, you damage your body, and starving yourself for two days isn't going to fix it. Most of the claims about cleanses aren't backed up by science and don't make sense. Food doesn't make your body toxic, and toxins don't cause weight gain. And 10-15lbs of waste isn't clinging to your colon, that's absurd! When you eat food that's processed or high in saturated fat, your bad cholesterol rises. So if cleansing means getting rid of white sugar and trans fats and eating more fruits and veggies and whole grains. Then that's something to support, it's healthy eating. If you did that for 6 weeks, and restricted your saturated fats and sodium, your cardiovascular system and liver would improve. You'd be giving your body the nutrients and fibre that it needs. But if you only drink lemon water, or severely restrict your calories, you put undue stress on your body. Your metabolism drops to compensate, so you don't lose anything, except water weight. And then there's just no way you're getting enough nutrients, such as calcium. Drugstore cleanses are glorified laxatives or extremely low cal diets. They are plain out dangerous. They make your body process toxinswithout nutritional support. A cleanse should not mimic an eating disorder, losing weight isn't supposed to be the goal of a cleanse, if you choose to cleanse, knowing the facts, the pros and cons are your first step to making an educated decision. It's not a weight loss quick fix and shouldn't be used as such.

Replies

• jaci232
    jaci232 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    amen!
  • Jamiebee24
    Jamiebee24 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    well said!!
  • Rhaeven
    Rhaeven Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    And the ad on the top of the page goes to.....Colonix the #1 colon cleanse LOL Wow.

As always wonderful information and advice you post
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    And the ad on the top of the page goes to.....Colonix the #1 colon cleanse LOL Wow.

:laugh: :laugh: wow...I never read the ads!
  • heatypablo
    heatypablo Posts: 221
    Options
    Love this post! I've tried explaining that if our bodies were truly full of "toxins" we'd be dead or deathly ill. :ohwell:
  • Pinky_Calhoun
    Pinky_Calhoun Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Love It!! ;0),
  • cparter
    cparter Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Applauding. Very good article. uh.. post
  • HeatherCanDoIt
    HeatherCanDoIt Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Our trainer made us do one when we started with her and it was a horrible experience!
  • antiadipose
    Options

lol its so funny ive never seen this ad but it just came on the top AND on the side lol

=============
    back to OP, i agree 100%
  • imagymrat
    Options
    Our trainer made us do one when we started with her and it was a horrible experience!

I'm curious, did she explain to you why you should do it, and bother to find out your background health info before she recommended it? I think, as a trainer myself, we have no business sticking our noses there, because that should come from a docotor, which we are not. Are you still training with her?
  • HeatherCanDoIt
    HeatherCanDoIt Posts: 165 Member
    Options

I'm curious, did she explain to you why you should do it, and bother to find out your background health info before she recommended it? I think, as a trainer myself, we have no business sticking our noses there, because that should come from a docotor, which we are not. Are you still training with her?

She had us fill out a form with all of our health info and medical history. She made it clear that if she was going to train us that we had to do the cleanse. I felt terrible for days after and don't really feel that it helped at all. She also wanted us on a diet that we would never be able to stick to. We are not with her anymore, her personality was not something that we could stay with.
  • imagymrat
    Options

She had us fill out a form with all of our health info and medical history. She made it clear that if she was going to train us that we had to do the cleanse. I felt terrible for days after and don't really feel that it helped at all. She also wanted us on a diet that we would never be able to stick to. We are not with her anymore, her personality was not something that we could stay with.

First off I look like a goof cause I spelled doctor wrong! lol..oh well, I never proof read, I really should. I'm glad you're not with her, she's very extreme and seems to like to push her own personal views on clients, while it's great to share info, it's another thing to enforce your own beliefs on others. A trainer should encourage you to reach your goals and be helpful, not try to kill you :laugh:
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Doesn't this sort of contradict the eat stop eat thing? Or do these cleanse thingies go for way longer or something? I have never really looked into them as I pretty much thought they were BS. Lemon detox and all that stuff yeah?
  • imagymrat
    Options
    Doesn't this sort of contradict the eat stop eat thing? Or do these cleanse thingies go for way longer or something? I have never really looked into them as I pretty much thought they were BS. Lemon detox and all that stuff yeah?

nope, eat stop eat, isn't a cleanse at all, I use it for competition to get me into a calorie deficit...I eat everyday, I don't miss a day without food, It's not even close to a cleanse, I don't drink or consume any weird concoctions, no laxatives to help purge my system,
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    aaah gotcha. :)
  • mskimberlee
    mskimberlee Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My sister was also encouraged to do a clense by a trainer. She said it screwed her body up. She's not the same 1 year later! So, thatnks! Great info!!!
  • bcakes81178
    Options
    My best friend is a personal trainer and she also said that something people don't realize is that these cleanses clean EVERYTHING out of your system. So if you're on prescription meds that need to build up in your system, it'll wipe 'em out.
  • Iron_Biker
    Iron_Biker Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hey everybody...

Cleanse = Detox

Is that true?