Lower back

Options
Ok Need some ideas :) I have bad lower back pain constantly.. I have broken my tail bone twice.. (im a clumpsy butt) but seems like any type of floor exercise really makes my back hurt.. I really need to work my abs... anything that has worked for anyone?

Replies

• TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    How do you feel on a stability ball? I would suggest trying on of them to see if that helps lessen the pain on your back. Also, while you are laying down on the floor, keep your knees bent and that should alleviate some of the discomfort. May not do all of it depending on your injuries. Also, you can do standing ab work, but it is less effective because you aren't working against gravity.
  • MelissaE27
    MelissaE27 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I tried the ball but Im kinda all over the place with it...someone told me there is one out there that has a stabilizer to it? or something so it doesnt roll around? think that would work?
  • yogakim
    yogakim Posts: 1
    Options
    If you take some of the air out of the ball it will be easier to stabilize. Good luck!
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I tried the ball but Im kinda all over the place with it...someone told me there is one out there that has a stabilizer to it? or something so it doesnt roll around? think that would work?

They do make balls that have sand in them to help with stability. Or you might prefer a Bosu because it has one side that is a solid flat surface so it won't roll. It's best described as a half a ball, maybe? I do ab work on my Bosu a lot and really like it. I wouldn't let the air out of a ball as that will just make is squishy and that to me is harder to balance on. You can pull your feet up right next to the ball though and use them like kickstands. That helps some people. But only do that if it is still comfortable on your back.
  • MelissaE27
    MelissaE27 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the ideas.. I did find hte one with the sand in the bottom and it works so much better!!
  • linda0429
    Options
    I to am suffer from a lower back strain. I think I am ready to get back to exercise. My chiropractor told me strengthen the core. I am starting with my are weights while laying on my back with the knees bent and doing the spine to the bed thing in the same position. I think I am ready to add some easy crunches only straight forward first. All I know is to not over do it or I will be right back flat on my back.
    Any other exercise suggestions for lower back injuries?