Chia Seeds and Coconut Oil

Options
I just picked up some Chia Seeds and Coconut Oil because I have read some incredible things about them both! Can anyone tell me what exactly they use them for or like best about them?

Replies

• Laultimacocacola
    Options
    I put a tablespoon of chia seeds in my banana smoothie.
    good for digestion :love:
  • peopletalk
    peopletalk Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    me and my mom have ibs and she has almond milk with chia seeds every morning and she said it has done wonders for her stomach pains

as for coconut oil, apparently it does the opposite of chia seeds. it can give you some stomach aches.
    but i've also heard from a few people that it really helps with weight loss.
    my sister puts coconut oil on her toast.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I've read about quite a few people on here eating the chia seeds and knocking them back with a quart of coconut oil. Given their magical properties, I think it's certainly worth the effort.
  • onemumsmission
    Options
    Chai seeds can go in anything and everything! Smoothies, porridge, sprinkle over cereal, into stirfrys. I use coconut oil in place of any other oil/butter, so I cook protein pancakes in it, add it to the pan before cooking. You can also add it to smoothies, use in baking (instead of other oils) I love the flavour it adds.
    Also I keep a jar in the bathroom and use as facial cleanser, body moisturiser and a weekly hair treatment. It is amazing stuff! My skin has never been better! :/)
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I use chia seeds in my homemade yogurt to make it super thick. I've seen many ways to use them on Pinterest but have only done the yogurt one myself.

Coconut oil...hmm, I love it for hair and skin. :D The unrefined stuff (that tastes like coconut) is AMAZING on cinnamon raisin bread. I've used it in my smoothies (didn't like that as much), some people put it in their coffee (I didn't enjoy the oily coffee). I have used it in baking! I like to make a chocolate dessert thing with mashed banana, coconut oil and dark chocolate (freeze and enjoy). Some people use the refined coconut oil for frying (I haven't tried that myself). Hmm, can't think of anything else I've used it for.
  • cmfaris8
    cmfaris8 Posts: 39
    Options
    I put chia in everything from smoothies to overnight oats to my tea. They are great before a workout or first thing in the morning.

Coconut oil I have only used in baking, particularly in my black bean brownies. Can't wait to use it on my hair and skin now!
  • barbaratrollman
    barbaratrollman Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    There are some ideas for coconut oil in this thread. I posted some of the ways I use it there too. :)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1000385-non-paleo-please-coconut-oil-v-olive-oil-virgin?page=2
  • verdancyhime
    verdancyhime Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I love coconut oil! I apply it in the shower to my skin, it smells great and seriously keeps away dry skin. It's also good as an overnight deep conditioner for dry hair.
  • Ivyzmama
    Ivyzmama Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds are a great source of Omega-3 which is supposed to help you feel more satisfied on less food. I don't know if that works. Anyway, I like them best in banana bread (I make a really healthy, high fiber banana bread; take a banana bread recipe and replace 1/4 of the flour with chia seeds, 1/4 with wheat germ and 1/4 with quick oatmeal. Add some extra baking soda or powder so that the bread still rises). You can put them into anything that would have poppy seeds. I put them on green salads, too, but there I find that they tend to soak all the flavor out of the salad. It's hard to explain - because my green salads are full of flavor and have a lot going on until I add the chia seeds, and then it's like the flavor's been vacuumed out of the salad!

They stay crunchy, even in banana bread. I bet they'd go well in anything you want to stay crunchy. Some people grind them up into a flour - I haven't tried that.

I hate coconut so I don't use that.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I love a tablespoon of coconut oil in smoothies...pear and avocado with vanilla protein and the oil is amazing.