How to stop the itching???

Options
2»

Replies

• Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    used chopsticks and any and everything I could get my hands on. Cute little girl! I hope she heels quickly!

Thank you, an interesting story about the chopsticks...my friend's son used them on his arm and one broke off and splintered in it and caused a massive infection so we probably wont be using those lol

Yes, that is one of the major concerns.
    Doctors don't sit around on break and come up with ways to torture their patients. :tongue:
    There are good reasons for all precautions.
    Some have mentioned powder. You might try some with cornstarch as it absorbs moisture better.
    If it gets so bad that she's not sleeping, you could try an OTC antihistamine- Benadryl, Claritin, Zyrtec etc.
    BTW: who is the guy in the background...?
  • MachineSearch
    Options
    Reminds me of when I had a cast. Oh God, the smell when it came off.
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options

There is nothing you can do to stop the itching. Don't put anything into the cast - no poking, it could cause an infection that could cause her to lose her arm. Just take a multi-vitamin with minerals to help it heal up faster and wait till it comes off! At least she should be getting her cast off before 4th of July, right?

When it comes off, she will want to scratch so badly. You can't scratch even then, because her skin will go to mush under the cast. I scratched right there in the room where they took my cast off, and I had accidentally scratched my skin into a bloody mess in under 2 minutes - because the skin just isn't right where the cast has been. She will get to wash her arm immediately - and it will smell awful, like a dead body, when that cast comes off. She can "pat" her skin to stop the itching in the couple of days after the cast comes off, but no scratching till her body grows a fresh batch of skin on her arm - which takes about a week.

Sorry about the broken arm, sweetie!

This
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Awe what a little sweety such a cutie poor thing. Yay sorry to say nothing down there don't want a healing arm to get an infection. Hope she has a fast recovery
  • BostonStrong617
    Options
    I was in an rm cast for 2 months when I tore a tendon in my thumb (my right hand no less), it was wicked itchy and it drove me nuts. Sometimes rubbing over the cast helped or scratching the other arm. It's psychological but it works. Distracting yourself from it as well. I also got this stuff at the drug store, I forget what it's called but I bet a pharamcist would know, it helped with the itching