Central Abdominal Fat - Good exercises?

Options
Hey!

So I have a lot of my weight in the abdomen, my doc was concerned that kickboxing would be too vigorous (i do love it)

The issue is possible back injury, mostly.

I wondered if anyone has this problem, you know a large amount of fat there and if there are any exercises you would recommend, what have you tried?

I don't want to swim though I know that would definitely be low impact. It's really the bathing suit that is the problem there!

Thanks all :heart:

Replies

• rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    You cannot really pick and choose where the fat is going to come from that you burn and more than likely the stomach area will be one of the last. That being said, anything that gets your heart moving should help; biking, weight lifting, walking.
  • powerplaymsu
    powerplaymsu Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Cardio!

When I first started loved me some elliptical. Sill do. Low impact and good workout.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Do you feel like you're hurting yourself when kickboxing? I don't get why your doctor would tell you not to do that if you aren't having an issue with it. Meh, who knows...I'm not a doctor.

Anyway, any cardio will help burn calories, but you can't choose where it's going to come off of first!
  • Kettle_Belle14
    Kettle_Belle14 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Kettlebell...helps strengthen your core and is a good cardio and lifting exercise. I love mine!
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    If you love kickboxing (meaning, you will make time to get your workout in) then you should keep doing it. Cardio is great for calorie burning (although weight lifting is even better than cardio).

As far a tummy fat removal...well, short of lipo we have no control of where the fat comes off first. Eat at a reasonable deficit and watch everything get smaller - patience is key, so just keep at it. My tummy is the last to go - still trying to lower bf% with weight training.
  • vbisnath
    vbisnath Posts: 35
    Options
    The best way to lose abdominal fat is to lose weight....your stomach will go down eventually....decrease your cals and eat plenty of healthy food. This will keep your metabolism burning but the bad cals wont be there to be stored.....when someone has quite a bit of abdominal fat, there is not fast way to lose it....just stay at it....dancing is very effective as well. turn on your favorite songs and dance like your crazy....I get the best results with dancing....good luck
  • kcaffee1
    kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Having dealt with a bad lower back since I was about 8 (OLD riding injury), I can definitely say anything that strengthens the core muscles will help keep your back from being injured. Start slow, and build up is the best way to do it. And, I am dealing with a big, droopy tummy too right now. It's shrinking, but it's still there.

I pick up the heavy iron (to steal/paraphrase) and put it down at least 2X per week, and I've been adding some extra resistance work for the lower back specifically. Try to stay away from "real" sit-ups or crunches - those can cause more damage than they are worth, though crunches on a stability ball are a good alternative - it lets you back flex properly while providing support in the lumbar area to encourage those vertibrae to stay where they should while the muscles build up to support them.

Hope these ideas help.
  • Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    the best part about fat is it han\gs on to the least desirable places forever (for me my butt and thighs) and leaves the most desirable places first (boobs here!)

There is never any harm in building your core strength. If you are starting from sedentary, i would really start small like the elliptical, long waiks on hills, swimming...
    if you are feeling brave, try jillian michaels 30 day shred, there is modifications as you go if you are in worse shape . I'm at level 3 and it's killer!
  • mistyme
    mistyme Posts: 26
    Options
    Fat comes off from all over your body equally, we just carry more fat in certain areas. When I first started back up I did an hour on the elliptical 5 days a week. It was low impact and I burned quite a bit of calories doing it.

Good luck!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,598 Member
    Options
    Hey!

So I have a lot of my weight in the abdomen, my doc was concerned that kickboxing would be too vigorous (i do love it)

The issue is possible back injury, mostly.

I wondered if anyone has this problem, you know a large amount of fat there and if there are any exercises you would recommend, what have you tried?

I don't want to swim though I know that would definitely be low impact. It's really the bathing suit that is the problem there!

Thanks all :heart:
    If form is correct and you work on flexibility, the kickboxing shouldn't be an issue. I have people go from very overweight to lean from my k box classes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Scubanana7
    Scubanana7 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Number ONE....DON"T worry about the swimsuit. If you are really uncomfortable, put a tshirt on over it (and shorts, if you want). The pool is awesome if you have access to one. When I first started swimming I couldn't swim 2 laps (down and back) without resting at every end of the pool. I can now swim 30 minutes nonstop. It has been less than a year and I didn't swim much at all this winter and only get to about 4 time per month now. It is amazing how you body can get stronger! If you can't swim much, then walk walk walk in the pool.

The water supporting your weight really helps keep your back safe and You will get stronger. Join a water aerobics class too if you can. Do this for a few months until you drop a little weight to take the stress off your back so you can enjoy the kickboxing. The doctor is probably just being very careful with you so that you don't get an injury that can eaily make you give up on getting healthy. Injuries SUCK. I actually hurt my arm a few weeks ago and I was in a state of panic for two weeks while it healed. I was so lucky I didn't tear anything to make me stop exercising. Just a little strain. But getting hurt is a real problem for us that are overweight and not in great exercise shape.

Keep the faith. Keep moving (the ONLY secret to weight loss along with eating clean).

All my fat is in my MIDDLE too. You can friend me if you like. I intend to get ALL my weight OFF this time! This site and the successes of others have kept me motivated.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    To lose the abdominal fat you have to continue losing weight overall. It may be one of the last places to come off but it will eventually with a calorie deficit. Be very patient.

The only "core" exercises I have been doing are squat, deadlift, chin/pull-ups, and some dumbbell overhead press. They are good compound movements that will require stabilization from your core.
  • PapillonBleu72
    PapillonBleu72 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    1)Walking
    It is a soft exercise , can be super pleasant in a sunny day and very effective if done properly.
    2)Swimming or exercising in water
    It does massage your body and you sweat a lot without even noticing it.
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Fat is fat. You need to do cardio ... try jogging, aerobics.... dance/zumba?

I don't really know why kickboxing should be a problem. My best friend started kickboxing when she was really big after having her first baby and loved it. She's lush now :love:

As long as you're supervised and doing it properly I don't see what the issue is. The fact that you enjoy it is a huge bonus and means you will probably stick at it. I would do it!!
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Any aerobic type exercise you can do; A Doctor in our town actually wrote a book on the power of walking.. Walk, run if you can, the key is MOVE. Strength training helps stimulate metabolism as well. Walk, run, play tennis, basketball, .. anything that requires movement.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Look for an Adaptive Motion Trainer at your gym. It looks like an elliptical, but the movement is"freestyle", controlled by the force of the user. You can vary your stride from a stair stepping action to a long run stride in a single moment. It's so easy on the joints, and you almost feel like you're floating.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I had lot of weight around my middle. I found I was actually gluten intolerant and just dropping wheat loads of the water came off. It then didn't take me as long to tone up the rest.

I used kettlebell exercises floor and from chair (as wheelchair user) and my tummy is alot flatter now. I stay off wheat..if eat it occasionally like go out for birthday meal I'm bloated for few days after and look few months pregnant again..I go strict a few days (no bread not even gluten free, potatoes etc) and water drops back off alot quicker now.

I also have underactive thyroid which can cause you to be big around the abdomen area. I've gone from size 22 to size 12. 12st 7 to 9st 6. I go up a few pounds with monthlies but have found since going gluten free I don't put as much water on and it comes off quicker afterwards.