Eating after 7

Options
Is the idea with this more that you shouldn't eat after DINNER, or that you shouldn't eat anything after 7? I work until 4pm most days (sometimes later) and then by the time I'm done, get to the gym and then get home (I have to take public transportation as it's all on opposite ends of town and much too far to walk) it's at least 7:00, if not later. Often I won't get home until 8:00 or 8:30 which leaves me eating a very late dinner. Is that going to slowdown (or prevent) my weight loss? I can't seem to think of any other way to do it that would work.

Replies

• ssmom
    ssmom Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I think most people, myself included, try not to eat after 7. That way you're not going to bed with that food in your stomach. Maybe you could try a bigger lunch, pack a snack to have before the gym and then have a small dinner. Might be hard after a workout though. If you're losing weight doing what you're doing then I wouldn't worry about it. If you are having a hard time losing weight then maybe try something different.
  • nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's a set time when you should stop eating. That being said, I try not to eat anything approx 1.5 - 2 hours prior to going to bed.
  • debjunti
    debjunti Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I work night shift so I just figure I wont eat anything the last 4 hours before bed. That works great for me whether I'm working or have the night off.
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's a set time when you should stop eating. That being said, I try not to eat anything approx 1.5 - 2 hours prior to going to bed.

What the clock says doesn't matter here, it's just not eating before bed. It's a good idea to go to bed a little hungry (of course not hungry enough that you can't sleep, but definately not a full stomach either). This is why the rule of thumb is usually don't eat 2-3 hours before bed. You should be fine if you finish dinner about 2 hours before bed.
  • ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options
    I always have a snack about an hour after dinner. Sometimes I'll have a tablespoon of peanut butter right before I go up to bed - it keeps me from getting up the middle of the night and wanting to eat. This has not had any negative impact on my weight loss. Calories don't know what time it is, as long as you stay within your calories you should be fine.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Usually it is okay to eat withing 2-3 hours prior to going to sleep as long as you have the calories left. Also make sure that what you eat is not high in carbs as your body will not need the quick energy provided by carbs. The best thing to have, if anything, would be something high in protein to help your muscle repair and build as you sleep.
  • mrsw510
    mrsw510 Posts: 169
    Options
    I eat dinner before I workout. I eat about 5-5:30 when I get home from work, do my workout about 6:30. I try not to eat after 8pm but I will have a light snack if I am super hungry (being hungry makes it harder to get a good nights sleep).
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie no matter when you eat it within a 24 hour period. The only drawback from eating late is that it may keep you awake, other than that, it's really an old wives' tale.
  • tralalara
    tralalara Posts: 149
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie no matter when you eat it within a 24 hour period. The only drawback from eating late is that it may keep you awake, other than that, it's really an old wives' tale.

Amen!
    I eat a serving of fruit and a cheese stick (balanced snack) every night about an hr before bed. The Zone diet recommends it and says it keeps your metabolism moving. It's working for me so I'm sticking to it. It's a light snack and never bothers my sleeping.
  • AshPolette717
    Options
    I work till 6pm and even if I don't go to the gym it is almost 7 if not after I am eating. What I have heard before is don't eat at least don't eat 2 hours before going to bed. What helps me is eating and then doing a few chores like laudry and dishes to help keep my heart rate up, never just sit back down. WHICH IS HARD!!!! lol best of luck.
  • Tandksmommy10
    Options
    I have a bedtime snack when I'm laying in bed watching a movie, and I'm up for about 1-2 hours after that. I have to, or my blood sugar will drop and I'll end up being a mess when I wake up. Whether or not it hinders my weight loss, I have no idea--but I'd rather "feel good" and lose less, then feel like crap and lose alot.
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat 2-3 hours before bed (I usually go to bed at 12 these days, so 7pm would leave me STARVING).
    If I am really hungry or get home right before I go to bed, I usually eat a banana, or something that's easy to digest, before bed, or else I can't sleep.
  • blakebraden21
    Options
    I havent seen anything wrong with having dinner after 7. If your body is still moving then your metabolism should still be running pretty high. I have eaten dinner later than that before, I just don't eat anything after I have dinner. I will have water the rest of the night if I feel hungry.
  • Ashl3yS
    Ashl3yS Posts: 64
    Options
    Thanks guys, that's really helpful and makes me feel a lot better about it!