Protein Shakes...

Options
What do you all think about protein shakes? I dont eat a lot of meat, well try not to, and I was thinking about supplementing with protein shakes. I hear they are good to build muscle mass, which burns fat!!! I was wondering what is a good brand, and when is the best time to drink one? Any thoughts or idea would be appreciated!

Hope everyone is having a great day, and staying incontrol over their bodies : )

Ashley

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I drink one after a workout.

I like the EAS MYoplex ones, I have a link to get a free bottle of one to try out if you are interested
  • LaToya921
    Options
    I don't usually do Shakes but my friend Amy introduced me to Kellog's Protein Shakes. It comes in three flavors strawberry, vanilla, chocolate.

They are very good especially chilled. You might want to see if it's to your liking.

Have a great day. Hope this piece of info is helpful.
  • Spatrowich
    Options
    Some people tend to drink the shakes as a meal replacement, but really, they should be used as supplement, something to have along with your normal diet.
    There are many different brands of shakes out there, my suggestion is to get whey protein.

If you are doing weight training, i believe the best time to drink one would be right after a workout. Also, maybe also have another at another time of the day. if you work out at night have one in the morning etc..

I drink Nu-tek Whey protein Shake Pro -5. Protein and muscle recovery.

Hope that helps
  • CharityD
    CharityD Posts: 193
    Options
    I love the Champion Low Sugar in vanilla. They sell it at GNC. 26 g protein and you can change up the flavors by adding different fruits, etc.
  • shautau
    shautau Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi, Ashely.

I asked the same question to our Trainer at the Gym and his suggestion was, if we planned to supplement protein with a protein shake to be sure to use it between breakfast and lunch or just before you workout. The later in the day you drink it the harder it is to burn off the carbs and calories. I usually just get the "Boost" drinks, "chocolate of coarse". There is 240 calories, 130 sodium, only 4g of fat with 41g of carbs...the best part is the 400mg of potassium and 30% daily recommendation of calcium which is what women need as we "mature". You may want to consider energy bars too.

Sabina :)
  • Mommy2Kenzie
    Mommy2Kenzie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I was actually thinking about Whey Protein Shakes...and drinking them after my workouts. My brother in-law play high school football and drinks them after practice and says they really help him feel better and not so sore and tired.
  • HIzara
    HIzara Posts: 187
    Options
    I drink one after a workout.

I like the EAS MYoplex ones, I have a link to get a free bottle of one to try out if you are interested

Same here. I drink one after every INTENSIVE workout. It helps to reduce next day muscle fatigue and gets my body lean and MEAN. I don't weight lift a lot (just once a week), so no, I don't have muscles. It would be impossible as I am burning my calories/carbs/fat off anyway.

My favorite is EAS Myoplex LITE. Only 170 calories w 20g protein, 20g carbs, 3g fat. Although, it contains soy, so if you are allergic, I would go with Muscle Milk LITE. Only 170 calories w the same contents as Myoplex Lite.

Be careful to not get the "Nutritional Shake Lite" which has the same amount of protein and carbs, but with twice as much FAT.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I recommend good quality ones if you are having trouble meeting your daily protein needs.
  • missouri_rain
    missouri_rain Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking a Whey Protein Shake in between meals, it helps curb my appitite and I believe protein is very good for our bodies.
  • naturebaby
    naturebaby Posts: 161
    Options
    I like the vanilla Body Fortress super advance whey protein (brand) it's about 15 bucks at walmart and it is delish with just water & ice, or milk ( shaken) or drop it into a smoothie. I use1 scoop with milk, and eat a normal breakfast, before I play a round of golf. the protein seems to keep me energized all morning.

1 scoop with water =140 cals.
    fat 2 grms
    protein 26 grms
    carbs 3 grms

yum!
  • SaraTN
    SaraTN Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I use the Spiru-Tein (unsweetend) vanilla - I mix it with Greek yogurt, water, and some fruit -- a bannana or berries. It is low in calories and high in protein. I drink them after my morning work-out or for breakfast because I have a hard time eating breakfast... something is better than nothing.
  • trice
    trice Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of the Myoplex Carb Control Shakes. I have one with breakfast but have also used them after workouts. They area great way to add some protein without a ton of calories.
  • irchrismm
    irchrismm Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I use the Body Fortress Chocolate Whey Protein powder + a banana some light vanilla yogurt, and a little skim milk. I have that about 20 minutes before my workout, before breakfast. I then either have another one before lunch or dinner, and a protein bar in between the opposite meal the shake. They are good if you are on a very low calorie diet, or going for muscle development. Since my diet requires a lot of protein, the shakes work great. I use them as supplements and snacks..not as meal replacements.
  • Andre_Demers
    Options
    Protein shakes are good but the only time I take them is after a workout, especially weight training. Careful not too take all the proteins that you are missing in a day in one shot.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Yes, a protein shake after workouts is great! Whey protein absorbs quickly & that's what you want right after a workout. You don't want a meal that takes a long time to digest. I use a chocolate protein powder from Costco, brand is Wellements; just because it's inexpensive and always available when I go shopping. Buying pre-mixed shakes that you just open and drink is an expensive option. Just keep your protein powder handy and put in a shaker with milk (or water or whatever).
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Maxi tone have a range of protein shakes especially designed for women. there are two kinds - one for those trying to lose weight and one for those that just want to tone up.I think they both contain whey protein and they have less than 150 cals in which is good! Ive ordered some of the chocolate definity which i intend to take after my workouts in the gym when using weight machines. Ill let you know how I get on.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking a Whey Protein Shake in between meals, it helps curb my appitite and I believe protein is very good for our bodies.
    What brand do you use MO?
  • missouri_rain
    missouri_rain Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Becca, right now I'm using Jillian Michaels because I need one with low sugar and low carbs, if anyone knows of another brand that offers this I'd like to hear about it.
  • angihelton
    Options
    I will call my dad and ask him. When we both worked at the gym a couple years ago (and my trainer advised me ), we both drank one in the morning on our way to work or at work. We did work out throughout the day too so I think its a good idea to do it before a workout. I can't remember the brand but I'll find out from him.
    I certainly think it's a plus :o)
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Becca, right now I'm using Jillian Michaels because I need one with low sugar and low carbs, if anyone knows of another brand that offers this I'd like to hear about it.
    maybe we'll drink it and sue her later Mo! :smokin: