Entering Sushi is difficult

Options
Has anyone else had difficulty in entering Sushi?
I'd love to be able to just enter an estimate of what I think a meal was valued in calories, especially in such cases where it's going to be difficult, like this.

Another one that may be difficult is restaurants where you can select what you want. For example...

Souper Salad
Mongolian Grille
Mom & Pop local restaurants

Replies

• danibabs
    danibabs Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    For entering sushi I googled the nutritional data of sushi and used this website:

http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-calories.htm

I always get the same thing, and it's sashimi so it was pretty easy to make my own food with the nutritional info added up and a quick description of what it was.
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Yes, sushi has been difficult for me. Especially because a lot of places tend to have their own specialty rolls with random names and you won't find the here on MFP. I tend to save sushi for my "treat" days and not log it.
  • fuzzycop
    fuzzycop Posts: 14
    Options
    I try to do sushi as a healthy alternative to something fried. It's so hard to find food at lunch time that isn't fried, but also tastes decent (for a carnivorous guy like myself!). LOL!
  • HIzara
    HIzara Posts: 187
    Options
    Entering Sushi is really hard.

But just keep in mind that sushi has :

1) lots and lots of white rice;also vinegar flavored
    2) lots and lots of mayonnaise
    3) soy sauce = lots and lots of sodium

It's not the healthiest food out there. Sashimi is a different story though and I would recommend eating Sashimi (although high in calories, we're talking "good" calories). But, easy on the soy sauce.

I would save it for a treat day also.
  • artschoolgirl
    artschoolgirl Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Every time :) But, just as Ladybug said, some times you just have to give-up on tracking & have it on a treat day. On days I'm counting, I usually try and find the average of the different entries. I just moved to Vancouver, which is like the capital of sushi, and it is sooooo ridiculously cheap. I find I'm always eating it. I made homemade sushi on Sunday night & it was AMAZING!! For next time i'm going to enter it in the recipe & figure out exactly how many calories....mmmm sushi!
  • starstealing
    Options
    any more ideas for ordering @ a sushi restaurant? i'm going with some girlriends on friday and would prefer to select the lowest calorie options possible...
  • mworld
    mworld Posts: 270
    Options
    an easy way to guesstimate sushi roll calorie consumption is to breakdown what you ate into either the fried tempura style roll, the fish/eel on top (think dragon) type roll, or the california roll - that's what i do when logging it all.

If the whole role is deepfried, then why bother even logging that day though :laugh:
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    any more ideas for ordering @ a sushi restaurant? i'm going with some girlriends on friday and would prefer to select the lowest calorie options possible...

Avoid tempura and mayo ones. Stick with vege/meat only ones.

I will even take total number of rolls and just work out an approximate amount of white rice, then add the fillings seperately. Nori is basically no cals.

Japanese is a HIGH carb diet! I have seen some sushi places advertising that they use brown rice in Australia now though as they know a fair few people are looking for low gi alternatives.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Mayo on sushi? Deep fried rolls?

I think I may be a throwback to a simpler era.... where seaweed, rice and some veggies (possibly a hunk on fish) went into a roll, and a chunk of raw fish sat on a log of rice (for sashimi).

Crazy.
  • countrymama08
    Options
    an easy way to guesstimate sushi roll calorie consumption is to breakdown what you ate into either the fried tempura style roll, the fish/eel on top (think dragon) type roll, or the california roll - that's what i do when logging it all.

If the whole role is deepfried, then why bother even logging that day though :laugh:

This is what I do. I count up my rolls and put them in as groupings. If I overthink calorie counting and try to make it an exact science I get frustrated. Seems more like work. As long as I am not guesstimating daily, it's fine.
  • recipe4success
    recipe4success Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I'd love to be able to just enter an estimate of what I think a meal was valued in calories, especially in such cases where it's going to be difficult, like this.

You can. YOu can "quick add calories" for a meal rather than tracking exactly what you eat.