Proper ice cream in the UK (low carb)

Options
yarwell
yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
Knowing that ice cream can be made from eggs and cream, without addition of sugar or glucose syrup, I wonder if anyone sells such a thing commercially in the UK ?

If I make it then it gets eaten within a day, so buying it has an appeal but I haven't found anything as yet.

Replies

• emafairycake1986
    emafairycake1986 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I dont know of any theyve got some fab ones in America and im sooo jealous of that fact ...so if you do find any let me know ;)
  • jonathanmhobson
    jonathanmhobson Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have just made some of my own Ice Cream following a recipe I found online and adding my own stuff to it.

Healthy Ice Cream

Whole Earth peanut butter - 100g
    Cottage Cheese 70% fat free - 1500g
    Runny Honey - 70g
    Diet Whey Protein (I have used banana flavour here but any would work well) - 175g
    Vanilla extract.
    Stevia for a little extra sweetness.

Mash up the lot together in a bit bowl.

Makes 8 portions.

1 portion = 200 grams

1 portion = around 320 cals - 20 carb - 11 fat - 35 protein.
  • mrsowen2012
    mrsowen2012 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Have you tried just looking at the calories when you go shopping? It's a silly thing to say, I know, but the other week I really fancied some icecream (I have a sweet tooth and I needed something after tea).

So I literally stood there in Tesco (probably looked like a right weirdo) and checked all the calories!!

In the end, I found that Tesco's value mint icecream only had 65 calories per scoop! Perfect and just what I needed. Plus it's a big enough tub to leave in the freezer when you fancy something - especially ice cream.

I usually made my own ice cream but I would dread to think of the calories in it!

If any one has a recipe for around (or less - even better) of about 100 calories per scoop it would be lovely to find it out.....

Thanks! x
  • xMillyLouisex
    xMillyLouisex Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I always shop at lowcarbmegastore.com which is actually a uk based online low carb store and they do really yummy low carb icecream mix in all diff flavours :)
  • yarwell
    Options
    Have you tried just looking at the calories when you go shopping?
    No, because I'm looking for low CARB ice cream not low calorie.
  • yarwell
    Options
    I always shop at lowcarbmegastore.com which is actually a uk based online low carb store and they do really yummy low carb icecream mix in all diff flavours :)
    I'll take a look, thanks. They aren't far from me as it happens.
  • yarwell
    Options
    Runny Honey - 70g

Fail !
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I googled and found this, http://www.first-foods.com/icecreamlite.htm

Apparently Tesco sells it.

Edit: Sorry, USED to.
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I eat a pint of ice cream daily I am sort of a connoisseur :) Why are u looking for low carb?????? Then it is not ice cream:)
  • yarwell
    Options
    I googled and found this, http://www.first-foods.com/icecreamlite.htm

Apparently Tesco sells it.
    That's interesting, thanks. Doesn't look like "proper" ice cream TBH as it's dairy free :-
    Ingedients: Water, oats, vegetable extract from chicory roots, (also known as inulin, not to be confused with insulin), glycerine, non- hydrogenated vegetable oil, emulsifier: mono and di-glycerides from vegetable oils, stabiliser: carob bean gum, carrageenan, vanilla flavouring, butter flavouring (non dairy), colouring: annatto (vegetable colouring, sweetener: sucralose (derived from sugar 600 times sweeter but calorie free also known as Splenda)).
  • philijewell
    Options
    I'm sure in the past I've seen low carb ice cream recipies and tried some when I googled. Pity my memory isn't better! I believe some recipes were very simple with cream as the main ingredient and only one or two others. Again "I think" someone suggested adding a little vodka to stop the ice cream becoming so hard. I was tempted to buy an ice cream maker but didn't. I've tried so many LC recipes for sweet treats and breads etc but now seem to prefer saving my carbs for lovely green veg with butter, yum!! I'm still surprised when I find myself saying that! Good luck!
  • yarwell
    Options
    I eat a pint of ice cream daily I am sort of a connoisseur :) Why are u looking for low carb?????? Then it is not ice cream:)

That's my choice. Sorry if it offends you.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Can't seem to even buy frozen cream anymore?
  • christabel6
    christabel6 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Is it the dairy you're after, specifically? There are various vegan ice creams eg Oat Supreme which is low-carb, but vegan.
  • mrsnecincy
    mrsnecincy Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm not a low carb expert so forgive me if I get any of this wrong. I hope you can get what you want from that supplier that was mentioned before but if not I wanted to give you my experience anyway. My MIL has an Ice Cream maker and she uses it just for frozen yogurt. Only greek Yog, fruit and sweetner nothing else. My faves are with frozen red berries or there is one with lime and coconut she does which is delish. Having said that, I still prefer the proper stuff. But we have nestle cool and slim here that's sugar free but not carb free. I think also you can make an iced dessert out of coconut milk too. Another idea might be sorbets if you can get a sugar free one. I would have thought the berry or citrus flavours would be fairly low carb. With ice cream though I think it's the sugar and booze that give it the texture. Despite having the machine, that frozen yog MIL makes is like concrete!
  • yarwell
    Options
    http://www.greenandblacks.co.uk/our-range/ice-cream?c1=1558&c2=1571 looked tempting, but 20- 25% carbs.
    Ingredients
    Organic Whole Milk, Organic Whipping Cream (26%), Organic Sugar, Organic Pasteurised Whole Egg, Organic Skimmed Milk Powder, Organic Bourbon Vanilla Powder (0.16%), Organic Lemon Juice, Stabilisers (Organic Guar Gum, Xanthan Gum, Organic Locust Bean Gum), Organic Vanilla Extract (0.05%).

I suppose they've sweeten it for prevailing tastes and to depress the "evil fat" content.
  • yarwell
    Options
    Is it the dairy you're after, specifically? There are various vegan ice creams eg Oat Supreme which is low-carb, but vegan.

I'm a bit traditional, so to me "ice cream" is clearly dairy. Oat supreme looks to be 25% carbs with added sugar and corn syrup solids ? http://www.first-foods.com/icecreamingred.htm
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,962 Member
    Options
    http://www.greenandblacks.co.uk/our-range/ice-cream?c1=1558&c2=1571 looked tempting, but 20- 25% carbs.
    Ingredients
    Organic Whole Milk, Organic Whipping Cream (26%), Organic Sugar, Organic Pasteurised Whole Egg, Organic Skimmed Milk Powder, Organic Bourbon Vanilla Powder (0.16%), Organic Lemon Juice, Stabilisers (Organic Guar Gum, Xanthan Gum, Organic Locust Bean Gum), Organic Vanilla Extract (0.05%).

I suppose they've sweeten it for prevailing tastes and to depress the "evil fat" content.
    Hard to get proper ice cream without sugar, what about portioning? I know me for example, I can be in ketosis eating 100 g's and if your working out at all it gets used up pretty fast anyway. My point I guess is the proper ice cream should have a sweetener.
  • LadyPakal
    LadyPakal Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    If you decide to make ice cream with sweetener it will get rock hard (it's the sugar that makes it softer). Don't make it in an ice cream maker unless you want to have to repair it (the motor will burn out if you're not careful). Once it goes in the freezer you'll need a knife to cut it as it will be too hard to scoop.

As for buying it - I can't say I've come across any - far to hard to make & keep I expect, besides being full of chemicals to try and soften/preserve it etc.

I gave up trying in the end.
  • yarwell
    Options
    I can see that sugar depresses the freezing point, and also interacts with fat in crystallisation (as in chocolate) so perhaps it isn't viable as a commercial product with shelf life and very cold freezers etc.

I've made a few recipes, and there are some at http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-forum/viewtopic.php?p=221068 for example. A blueberry ice cream wouldn't need sweetening beyond the blueberries (to my palate).

Perhaps I just have to keep making it.