Bananas..........

Options

Replies

• YogaNikki
    YogaNikki Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I actually JUST had a friend telling me to stop eating bananas for this reason. First time I have ever heard it. I told him I was pretty sure I needed to put the pizza down and it was not my tasty banana adding the fat to my rear.
  • upandover34
    upandover34 Posts: 32
    Options
    Pro - They are yummy.

Eating above maintenance make you gain weight. Don't blame an innocent banana.
    ha ha
  • cw822
    cw822 Posts: 107
    Options
    This always makes me laugh. I eat at least one banana a day, maybe two if I put it in my protein shake also. I never understand why people hate on bananas. If it fits in your calories and macros, go for it.

exactly...and make a banana/protein powder smoothie for a great post-workout meal
  • cw822
    cw822 Posts: 107
    Options
    I avoid nuts. Too many calories and fat for so little pleasure. Just my opinion of course.

Healthy fats though. All fats are not created equal. Don't fear the fat.

Pistachios, cashews, almonds, walnuts. They do wonders for the body.

^this....in addition, avocado
  • meidie1980
    meidie1980 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmm, i lost 81 LBS eating banana's almost every day,

Somtimes more than one ( got to looove banana pancakes)
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Bananas are great. Curried bananas, ginger bananas, chocolate dipped bananas, wonderful. I eat them almost every day and lose weight steadily. Sure you can gain weight eating ANYTHING, even rice cakes, which aren't even food but styrofoam. :)
  • kiern18
    kiern18 Posts: 61
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with bananas. Pineapple, on the other hand, I try to avoid because it's too addictive.
  • pestopoli
    pestopoli Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Don't blame an innocent banana.

Wawww, innocent banana =D

That maxes out the quota of adorable things I've heard today.
  • cherryd69
    cherryd69 Posts: 340
    Options
    Nothing wrong with banana's, just dont make eye contact with ANYBODY *especially males whilst eating one :embarassed:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I avoid nuts. Too many calories and fat for so little pleasure. Just my opinion of course.

Those fats are very good for your heart health though...

Fat is just so misunderstood...I blame the '80s & 90s. I blame the new millennium for the demonization of carbs, including this banana nonsense.
  • ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Pro - They are yummy.

Eating above maintenance make you gain weight. Don't blame an innocent banana.

100% THIS ^^^^ Bananas are a SUPER food - I eat 1 -2 every day - cannot imagine a healthy life without them
  • SpazQ
    SpazQ Posts: 104
    Options

Healthy fats though. All fats are not created equal. Don't fear the fat.

Pistachios, cashews, almonds, walnuts. They do wonders for the body.

Who said anything about fearing fat? I certainly don't.

How much chicken/fish or meat can I eat for the same amount of calories? What is more filling?

I also don't enjoy the bloat that accompanies eating nuts. I've learned to avoid foods that bloat me up.
    Bloating from foods is NOT normal unless you can't tolerate them. Bloating is a signal of inflammation.
    If your body is busy fighting inflammation it can't do other things like build muscle and burn fat. If more people
    took the time to figure out what foods might be causing them issues, they might see more progress.

Just sayin'.
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I eat 1-2 bananas a day, like many others here say. You can't blame one single food for gaining weight in any kind of scenario other than eating over your maintenance calories in that food a day.
  • rachface1234
    rachface1234 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Bananas are great. Curried bananas, ginger bananas, chocolate dipped bananas, wonderful. I eat them almost every day and lose weight steadily. Sure you can gain weight eating ANYTHING, even rice cakes, which aren't even food but styrofoam. :)

curried/ginger bananas?? YUMMM! recipe?

don't you dare cut out bananas, that would be rude, and you'd miss out on a delicious fruit full of good for you carbs and potassium. stick to 2-4 servings of fruit a day instead.... but if it comes down to it, between a candy bar binge and a banana binge? I'm gonna have to side with my lovely innocent banana friend, noms.
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I just had a banana; as I do most days at or around breakfast time. :happy:
  • cygnetpro
    cygnetpro Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I can almost 100% guarantee you that all of the obese people in the world did not get that way from eating too many bananas.

Haha! Weight Watchers (their old points system) used to charge two points per banana. But one point for their heavily manufactured products. One of the reasons I stopped doing WW. I also get ads on some of my sites for that whole "five foods never to eat", and there is a picture of bananas. I think they would do better posting a photo of Outback's Blooming Onion!
  • DDCNY
    DDCNY Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    It's not about the banana making you gain. It's the glycemic index of the food. Bananas have a high GI. So if you are sensitive to high GI foods (like diabetics) then you would want to stick with lower GI fruits such as oranges. Years ago I did LA Weight Loss and it was the only commercial plan that ever worked for me. A doctor helped me figure out that it was because it was focused on low GI foods. For instance, back then, pears and bananas weren't allowed because of their higher sugar content and high GI. A serving of cherries was 9 cherries because of their GI.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Bananas are highly beneficial, particularly in potassium, something dieter's have a tendency to avoid if not eating clean.

Just avoid eating 5 or 6... bunches at one time and you won't gain weight because of them.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I eat bananas everyday... at least one... with natural peanut butter...

do I look like I'm gaining any weight???

<
  • ForABetterMe89
    Options
    Bananas and they're damn rep.

Pro: They're super yummy, especially with peanut butter.
    Con:

This is a lifestyle change, not a diet. If you enjoy bananas eat them. I haven't given anything up. Why would I? I typically eat a banana once a day and have lost a good bit of weight for myself. Cake (insert any bad food you really love) makes you gain, but most people aren't typically willing to give it up for the rest of their lives. It's a fruit. Eat it and enjoy.