started p90x. on 8/5...need help, advice, guidance, motivati

Options
hi everyone
I started MFP about 2 months ago...but did not follow through coz i was in middle of moving and new jobs...

anyhow, have started MFP again from 8/8/10, and also started P90x from 8/5/10

here is how i feel of P90x (i started the lean version)

Day1: core synergetics -- it was ok
Day2: cardio x -- it was also ok
Day3: chest & shoulders --was ok, but Ab ripper x -- i just cant do that thing!!!!!!!!
Day 4: yoga x -- man..it was impossible!!
Day 5: legs and back - well i dont know why, but i just dont know how to do pullups :( and again ab ripper -- just cant do it at all!!!
Day 6: today....will try Kenpo x

i wanted to ask anyone as to how many calories on an average do we burn with each workout of P90x?? especially coz i can not follow through the whole routine....

also, if anyone else also starting it....i would love to have a work-out buddy to keep each other motivated! :)

Replies

• tapence
    tapence Posts: 1
    Options
    I started p90x 2 and half weeks again and would like to know the same thing.
  • oaker
    oaker Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    p90x is tough no matter what your fitness level. I have completed 3 rounds and just couldn't do the 4th round I started. The motivation was lacking. When I first started Ab ripper, I could NOT complete any of the routines. Just do the best you can each and every time and it does become a lot easier. In fact, you will be able to do MORE reps than the DVD. Just do the best you can. It will be painful at first, but trust me, you will get better at each exercise. Pullups are hard for just about everyone. Start with bands and then move to assisted chair pullups. Again, you will get stronger and that's the point. Don't get discouraged and take some extra breaks. It will amaze you how much your body will change just doing the best you can for the 90 days. For me, Yoga was the hardest workout. The first 2 rounds, I completed every routine, but on the 3rd round, I left it out just about completely. Takes a lot of time and that is something I don't have a lot of. And, the most important aspect of p90x, the DIET. Follow it as closely as you can. You will not get great results without it. If you put on muscle AND don't reduce fat, your body won't change much at all. You may or may not lose a lot of weight, but if you follow the diet, the tape measure won't lie. Again, I know it's tough, but just do the best you can and things will get better.
  • currychick1
    Options
    I have power90x but haven't started it. I have started the colonix program and decided to start power90x on next week. I would say to do the best you can until the muscles that haven't been used in a while gets used to the routines. You can't stop though! I am 240 lbs. and I am going to start the program. I have a friend who weighed as much as I do, and she is doing great with power90x. It's all about keeping it moving. JUST KEEP IT MOVING!!! You'll be fine. (I may have to take my own advise on next week)!
  • mbmace
    mbmace Posts: 1
    Options
    Have done lean, and classic. Get a heart rate monitor. I burn around 600 calories though plyometrics tends to get up to 800!
    For the pull ups, use a chair or get resistance bands to start. I started out with 0 real pull ups and now can do a few (6-8). Since I was quite out of shape beforehand, I didn't expect a "Beach Body" after the first go around. I jokingly call it "P360X".
  • Amylewis60
    Amylewis60 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    First of all I would like to say good for you for doing this routine, it is not easy. When you say that it was just ok do you mean that you are getting worn out right away or that you feel that you are not getting anything out of this workout? If you are just getting worn out right away don't worry, you will eventually be able to build up the stamina to finish each one.

To help you with the pull-ups there is an attachment that you can buy for bands that hooks on your door that will help you over time to be able to actually do the push-ups on your own. Don't feel bad I still can't do the pull-ups after doing this for a few months.

As far as burning calories it depends on your weight and height and how long you make it through the routine. When I am plugging my exercise routine into the diary I always just go for the intense (cause that is what 90X is). Sorry I could not be more help. Just stick with it and you will start to see results.
  • BlackBeltLife
    Options
    I agree with oaker. Tony says do you best and forget the rest. There are workouts that the dvd is doing 30 and 40 and I am stopping at 15 because of muscle failure. Write it down and forget it. The next week try to add 1 more rep. You do get better. Also as much as I hate Yoga I force myself to do it. Yes its long, and yes it is slow but that is the point. I watched an interview with Tony talking about it and he said if he was only allowed to do 1 workout it would be Yoga. Now I can't do all of the moves (ie Crane), but they come. If 90 minutes is really undoable for you go to beachbody and order the Yoga dvd from Tony Hortons Fountain of Youth program. He made it 45 minutes because the X'ers kept complaining about the time. You will get results from the program if you follow it. Read my Blog (A LOT OF WORK.......LITLLE PAY) to get the Law of Compensation which is truly at work in this program (especially during the first month and even the first round). Keep up good work
  • hjsyndrome
    hjsyndrome Posts: 215
    Options
    I am starting P90X Round 2 Week 1 today - the summer was a busy one so I took a break from it. The first 90 days was tuff, but it was awesome. Probably the first month was a beast just getting your body used to doing it. You may need to modify some of the moves to get up going, but you can do it.

I didnt like 3/4 of the food on their diet plan. Yes, I am a picky eater (Thanks Mom). So I made my own plan, which is I ate what i wanted. I just practiced portion control and only went over that once a week. I lost 20 pounds the first go-around. I figure if I deprive myself of the foods I like, I probably wont do well cuz I will cheat. I just know me.

Calories to burn. Well that is going to be different for everyone. I would suggest a heart rate monitor. Everyone will "BRING IT" a little different. I dont have one, so i went by what this website gave me. I am sure its not accurate, but close. I prolly will go invest in one this time around.

Good luck, have fun, and "BRING IT".
  • xarchie1980x
    xarchie1980x Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for their feedback...

livingforhim52.... when i say..it was ok..it just means i managed to do the whole work-out with some extra breaks in between..

anyhow...i plan to continue doing it...lets see how it goes..

also...i went through the p90x nutrition guide... but too confusing for me...any advice?

thanks in advance...this is a wonderful place to ask for help.,..i love this site :)

looks like i m gonna use it more often than facebook now! ;-)
  • oaker
    oaker Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Ah, the p90x diet plan. The first weeks with the fat shredder takes some time getting used to. I could not get the amount of protein they wanted you to have, so I ended up getting protein whey. I don't think you could eat enough food to get that amt of protein unless you just ate chicken. Anyhow, just adjust the percentages on MFP to reflect the correct amounts of protein, carbs and fat. Then try and eat to match. So if you are on a 2400 cal plan and 50% of your cal are to come from protein, you would need about 300 grams of protein per day. That is a lot. All depends on what you eat, but if you consume empty calories, there is no way to make it. You will also find, that eating empty calories will reduce your energy needed for the workouts. Like I said, the first weeks of the program are tough enough with the lifting and new exercise, then changing your eating habits to the recommended diet can take it's toll. But trust me, the results will come
  • lizziewhan
    lizziewhan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    hi there! i finished up my second week of p90x today. i think anyone can do this..........or atleast definately give it a good shot. i am 320 lbs...there are quite a few moves that i havent been able to do......im doing the classic version..so heres what i think of it........
    Day 1 – Chest & Back, Ab Ripper X .......i really like this day! ill talk about abs in a minute
    Day 2 – Plyometrics LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!
    Day 3 – Shoulders & Arms, Ab Ripper X really good workout
    Day 4 – Yoga X i love yoga but boy is this freaking hard!!
    Day 5 – Legs & Back, Ab Ripper X excellent workout!!
    Day 6 – Kenpo X this is MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITE!
    Day 7 – Rest or X Stretch the stretch feels sooo good!

ok our first day with abs..OMG i couldnt do a lot! but instead of just not trying i atleast attempted it. when i really just couldnt do the move i would lay there and just do crunches. i think u are atleast benefiting from that. i have now done the ab video 6 times...yesterday i retried some of the moves and actually had already gotten better at them. Tony says that they do something like 349 ab exercises during the entire video...well i counted yesterday and i had only done 270. BUT thats something!!

i was intimadated by p90x at first..then i saw this overweight guy on the informercial talking about how he just modified everything. i have seriously taken that to heart. modify..atleast you are doing something. and i cant do a single pullup..so i use the resistance bands. they are still a wonderful workout!

as for the diet plan..im just going to focus on my 1700 calories a day. which i need to buckle down on. good luck and friend me if you wanna talk some more!
  • danielleca
    danielleca Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am in my second week of a lean circuit/turbofire hybrid and would love to join you on this. I’ve done different rounds of P90X throughout the years, but it’s been awhile, so I’m getting a lot of the same soreness and everything as if I was doing this for the first time.

As far as the workouts go, my suggestion is to work as hard as you can using common sense. At my highest weight I was 270 and did P90X, but I modified when I needed to and worked my pants off when I didn’t need to. I’m usually a bit slower when I first learn a routine, but after that I make sure I put in the effort. My thought is that if I want to see changes in my body I need to work my hardest within reason.

I’m not following the nutrition guide, mainly because my goal is to lose fat. So I follow the calorie information on MFP, and make sure all of my food is coming from the first two tiers of Michi’s Ladder. I also drink Shakeology daily so I know I’m getting all my nutrients in.

Hope that helps a bit!

Danielle
  • HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    For those struggling with the ab ripper X(300) you can search and download the original ab ripper 100 which is obviously only 100 reps and it is easier than the 300, just a little search on some sites out there and either save it to your desktop or convert it to dvd..just a suggestion.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    a definite bump!:tongue:

OMG you all rock even trying it!! I'm chicken so far, afraid to fail, great attitude, right? :blushing: :laugh: There's just sooooooo many things to do out here (workout wise that I can do now after dropping a tons of weight) that I just haven't tried it yet. But I'm pumped to add it to my list. The pullups scare me a bit:ohwell: :wink: , but hey maybe I should head back to the jungle gym and practice like I used too in the meantime!

You guys are the Best!! Keep it up:drinker:

Edited to add:
    HOSED49
    Love your quote!! “If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.”
    Bruce Lee

WOW, so very true in all aspects of life:drinker:
  • CFAITH_WARD
    CFAITH_WARD Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    There is also the ab ripper 200
  • CFAITH_WARD
    CFAITH_WARD Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Yes I am in my 12th week of round 1 and hey I still cannot do all the yoga video....I use the bands and don't do pull up yet.....maybe next time...for me this is a life change........I hate the dreya roll...and I didn't do the diet the way it says I justed upped my protein and downed my carbs......I am trying to think like a skinny girl!!!!
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I have it, but I am going home for a week and a half, so i didn't want to start it just to leave. I really look forward to it, though.
  • steph6245
    Options
    I am doing the exact routine and just started it 8/2/10. I am loving it. Good luck to you!! :wink:
  • Gully68
    Gully68 Posts: 4
    Options
    Archie - good for you for getting BACK on the program! We're all human; we get busy, we miss days. The key is getting back on the horse; too many people take an all-or-nothing approach. Tony's mantra is true on ALL levels: Do your best and forget the rest - whether that's reps of an exercise or only being able to squeeze-in 45 minutes of yoga on a busy day. It's better than nothing.

Do YOUR best...People get too obsessed over numbers - "I can only do 3 chin-ups." "I can't complete Ab Ripper." If what you want is gains, ALL that matters is that you're pushing yourself to your (safe) threshold and hanging on as long as you can. If your heartrate hits 165 jumping AN INCH in Plyometrics, well - you're still getting the SAME benefits, relative to YOUR BODY. If you burn after 8-10 "lawnmowers" at 20lbs (Tony mentions doing 90-100 I think) - you're getting the same benefits for your body. And as the weeks go by, you'll find that jumping 2 inches off the floor doesn't get your heartrate pumping - so you JUMP HIGHER. You could "lawnmower" 20lbs for days, no problem - LIFT MORE. The day you can actually FINISH Ab Ripper X (congrats, by the way! I can't!) - that day, you start taking your hands off the mat and folding your legs.

There's a reason Tony keeps saying "YOUR best" - if you PUSH, you WILL get results. Do ONE chin-up, then get the chair if you have to. Next week, try to do 2 before you get the chair. If you're coasting through exercises, you're not benefiting. That's why they have 'easier' ways AND harder ways - so you can keep right on that edge of your max.

I can't bend 90-degrees with my legs straight, my hamstrings are so tight. So many exercises require reasonable flexibility there. But I don't say "Oh well! I'll just skip them!". I bend as far as I possibly can and feel the burn - and eventually, one day, I'll reach my toes. And then...I'll push to reach past them!

Good luck, Archie! Do your best!!

~Rob
  • xarchie1980x
    Options
    THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR KIND WORDS!

AND LADIES AND GENTLEMAN...I JUST DID KEMPO X!!

lol..sorry for making it sound so braggin kinds :p

but..OMG....i had to pause the one hour video atleast 15 times in between...almost threw up once....but...I FINISHED THE WHOLE DARN WORK-OUT!!

HOSED49
  • xarchie1980x
    Options
    THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR KIND WORDS!

AND LADIES AND GENTLEMAN...I JUST DID KEMPO X!!

lol..sorry for making it sound so braggin kinds :p

but..OMG....i had to pause the one hour video atleast 15 times in between...almost threw up once....but...I FINISHED THE WHOLE DARN WORK-OUT!!

HOSED49