Tired all the time.. :(

Options
I've been back at this calorie counting thing since last monday.. so its been about a week and a half. The first few days i was fine, but now i am tired alll the time, to the point where i've been falling asleep at my desk during work. (Which is partially the reason i'm posting right now. I'm at work and dead tired.) I start eating at 6:30 am and eat every 2 hours after that. (breakfast, snack, snack, lunch, snack, snack, dinner. I got to the gym for about an hour during my lunchbreak 4 days a week. An hour after i come back from lunch I'm so tired, even if i drink a protein shake...

Its frustrating! i've been eating healthy. I thought i would have more energy than this!!

I will note that i have stopped drinking coffee but i didn't drink it everyday beforehand or depend on it for energy.

HELP! (my food diary is open.. is it something i'm eating?)

:frown:

Replies

• fluffykitsune
    fluffykitsune Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Your diary isn't open.
    How many calories are you netting a day ?

Maybe the hour is too much for you, maybe try 40 minutes instead and take a 20 minute walk after work / when you get home ?
  • brillmer
    brillmer Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Hellooooooo you :D

Your food diary isn't open so I can't see..? (My Home Tab > Settings>Diary settings> Public/friends only) But... how many calories are you eating in an average day?

Whats your age, height, weight?

I can see if maybe you aren't getting enough calories, thus making you feel like you don't have energy and you're tired.

That would be my first guess.

How long have you stopped drinking coffee for? Can you try drinking it black / with sweeteners instead of sugar?
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    You need a check up with your doctor. Check haemoglobin, ferritin, thyroid to start with. Also could you be pregnant? Being tired all the time needs checking out.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    You're diary isn't open... I would try the coffee again, and perhaps your calories/carbs aren't up where they need to be.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    Your diary isn't open. So my guess would be you need to eat more carbs.
  • EmerLiverpool
    Options
    You need a check up with your doctor. Check haemoglobin, ferritin, thyroid to start with. Also could you be pregnant? Being tired all the time needs checking out.

This! Also diabetes is another major cause of being tired all the time, go get it checked out! x
  • WillieMN
    WillieMN Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Definitely get a check up for nutrient and iron/ferritin levels. And what intensity are you training at? Possible over training?
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    possible causes

1) not enough food
    2) not enough sleep
    3) severely unbalanced macros (are you going way over your calories in fats or carbs and way under in protein?)
    4) iron deficiency/anemia
    5) prengnacy

check with your doctor.
  • Nina_Marie88
    Options
    okay guys my diary is now open!! thanks @brillmer for telling me how! I definitely don't think I am pregnant !! :noway: , but I may see a doctor if the problem persists.. I do know that I didnt start feeling this way until i began this diet. Now that my diary is open maybe i can get a little more insight from you guys? thanks for responding!!
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    okay guys my diary is now open!! thanks @brillmer for telling me how! I definitely don't think I am pregnant !! :noway: , but I may see a doctor if the problem persists.. I do know that I didnt start feeling this way until i began this diet. Now that my diary is open maybe i can get a little more insight from you guys? thanks for responding!!
    You are not eating enough.

First off, if that photo is you, you do not have 15 lbs to lose.

Secondly, if you did have 15 lbs to lose, you would need to be eating way closer to,your tdee than 1200 probably is. you probably put your rate of loss at 2 lbs per week, but that's unhealthy for people with little to lose because you lose muscle, not fat, and end up looking flabby. How tall are you and how much do you weigh?
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of pre-made meals, for me I always get tired when I eat things full of salt and odd chemicals

Maybe try making meals instead of buying them to lower the amount of salts and other chemicals in the food and see if that makes a difference?
  • emilydiehl08
    Options
    Those frozen meals make me tired too. An hour after eating one I feel like a zombie. Maybe try to pack a fresh lunch. With plenty of fruits and veggies. That should give you a kick of energy to get you through the day :)
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    It would help to know your height and current weight, and you should figure out your current body fat percentage.

You can start with this:

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/mbf/

What is your current activity level, both exercise and routine?

About meal frequency: if you are eating all those frequent meals because you think that will boost your metabolism, you shouldn't bother. There is no good evidence for that, even though you often hear the advice. I function much better on fewer meals a day (just two, with maybe a snack in between). The total energy intake is what matters--not meal frequency.
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Eat less sugar and double your protein!

And maybe increase total calories by a little.
  • Nina_Marie88
    Options
    You are not eating enough.

First off, if that photo is you, you do not have 15 lbs to lose.

Secondly, if you did have 15 lbs to lose, you would need to be eating way closer to,your tdee than 1200 probably is. you probably put your rate of loss at 2 lbs per week, but that's unhealthy for people with little to lose because you lose muscle, not fat, and end up looking flabby. How tall are you and how much do you weigh?

yes this photo is me. The photo is from last summer when i was my ideal weight which was 140 pounds. I'm 5'8 and 155. I'm not dismorphic or anything, i want to lose the weight so i can have definition in my abs like i used to (used to have a 4 pack) now my hips, butt, thighs, and lower abs are not toned and slim like they used to be so thats why i'm trying to lose weight.

Also, what is TDEE? and you're right about me putting my rate of loss at 2lbs per week. I didn't know that i would be losing muscle!! I actually want to build muscle and lose fat. Should i adjust my rate of loss to one pound a week?
  • Lauramh31
    Lauramh31 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hm I actually think less carbs. Less sugar and carbs adn more protein and fat. Fat and protein keep you full and keep your blood sugar more stable than carbs do, which means no blood sugar crash, which means no energy crash! At least give it a try for a few days and see if it doesn't help. It works wonders for me. Seriously - the more sugar and carbs I eat (not veggies and fruit I'm talking carbs from bread, pasta, ice cream, cookies, oatmeal, cereal) the more tired and hungry i am. The more fat (and to a certain extent protein) I eat, the more full and energetic i am. So i'm not saying go low carb or no carb bc I don't believe in that, I'm just saying, lower the carb numbers (especially the ones from added sugars!) and increase the fat and protein numbers a bit :)
  • lavieboheme1229
    lavieboheme1229 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary from yesterday. You ate about 1600 calories (well, 1400, and drank 200- I'm not judging :tongue: ) If you were to eat 1500 and THEN eat back 50-75% of your exercise calories, I think you'd be giving your body a lot more to work with. I think a couple days of eating some steak and dark greens might do wonders for you. I also agree that prepackaged can be the death of many (myself included)

And it put it a bit nicer, I would agree that you are already beautiful and quite small. I can't magically know your weight or body fat %, but there are healthy ranges for those numbers, and you can fall into an unhealthy range also. Being unhealthy isn't just being fat, it's being too small also. You could have your Body Fat % measured at a gym by a trainer, and then you can review if you believe that is a healthy percentage, based on some internet research and tables, and what the trainer may offer as well.

.A simplified opinion would be: eat more REAL protein (fish, steak, chicken, eggs), eat less prepackaged or frozen meals (hit up Skinnytaste.com for some good at home recipes!), and reevaluate if continued weight loss is healthy for you. Good luck!
  • Nina_Marie88
    Options
    I see a lot of pre-made meals, for me I always get tired when I eat things full of salt and odd chemicals

Maybe try making meals instead of buying them to lower the amount of salts and other chemicals in the food and see if that makes a difference?

thank you, you're right. I think i should cut out these lean cuisines and bring my lunch instead. I'm going to try that!
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    You need to give your body fuel! Eat more!

I know it sounds nice to be able to lose fast, but if you lose it fast, there's a greater chance of gaining it back again. Slow and steady wins the race.
    0.5 to 1 pound per week would be best, or figure out your TDEE and BMR. Take the TDEE and minus 15% (I wouldn't go more than that because you don't have much to lose), and make sure you stay above your BMR. You'll feel 1000x better, I promise!!
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    You'd be better off trying to lose half a pound a week, eating slightly more and then not being hungry all the time.

Plus, then when you are goal weight you are more likely to keep it up as you will already be eating not far from your maintenance calories.