Looking for ab workout advise

Options
I hate getting on the floor for ab exercises, any advise?

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    From a pull up bar, do hanging leg raises and windshield wipers.
  • OnDatBulk
    OnDatBulk Posts: 10
    Options
    do you lift regularly?
    i never work out my abs, but i make sure that when i go to the gym i keep my abs really tight during each exercise, specially squats/bench/deadlift and so on. best way to train your abs in my opinion is to train them how you are going to use them, which is stability. crunches and sit ups are horrible for your spine and can lead to problems in the future. planks are really good for abs as well
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    weighted cable crunches

is kneeling considered on the floor?

decline crunches (weighted)

theres a lot of options.. these are some of my favorites
  • alecialudwickjones
    Options
    crunches and sit ups are horrible for your spine and can lead to problems in the future.

Does that include the one where your legs are held straight out and lifted straight up? It's not called a crunch but it's grouped with them in some videos and I can't think of the correct term right now. It's supposed to help the lower abs.
  • OnDatBulk
    OnDatBulk Posts: 10
    Options
    no leg raises are more for your quads and lower abs. those are not as hard on your spine, just make sure that you are bending at the hip and not bending your lower back. the problem with the sit ups is that people dont do them properly, so they start arching their backs and bending at their lumbar instead of the hip. thats where the problems arise
  • caspergirl7
    caspergirl7 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    hip hop abs is fun..
  • alecialudwickjones
    Options
    no leg raises are more for your quads and lower abs. those are not as hard on your spine, just make sure that you are bending at the hip and not bending your lower back. the problem with the sit ups is that people dont do them properly, so they start arching their backs and bending at their lumbar instead of the hip. thats where the problems arise

Sorry I didn't say that correctly. The ones I'm talking about are the type you lay on the floor and lift your legs up while they're held straight out. I've seen exactly what you're talking about with the bent back.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    My best advice is that I advise you to engage your core no matter what exercise you are doing. Specific ab exercises are not required to get great abs.
  • mikejholmes
    mikejholmes Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    do you lift regularly?
    i never work out my abs, but i make sure that when i go to the gym i keep my abs really tight during each exercise, specially squats/bench/deadlift and so on. best way to train your abs in my opinion is to train them how you are going to use them, which is stability. crunches and sit ups are horrible for your spine and can lead to problems in the future. planks are really good for abs as well
    ^
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    steamenginefull2bw2.jpg