Water weight.

Ok, tell me what you know about water weight. If I've been chronically dehydrated (not severely, but let's just say I've probably NEVER gotten 8 c. of water per day) and now I'm drinking about 5 c. of water per day (I'm working on getting up to 8 c. but I'm never THAT thirsty) and cut out all my other fluids (milk, soda, juice)...

...how can I be losing so much water weight? I've always thought that sounded weird...is it that I was retaining water and now I'm not? Where is the water coming from because I've never been a big water drinker, now I'm drinking more water than I ever have...so how can I be losing water?

Oh and I'm not exercising (yet) so it's not through sweat.

Replies

• thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    The more water you drink the less your body will hold onto.

You lose water everyday just by being alive. Moving around, breathing, etc.
  • Huh, I did not know that. Ok, now I've got to go read up on it!
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Organ function uses water, you lose a lot simply through breathing... digestion uses a lot of water... etc.

Drink what you can but try to get the numbers up. Drink before you feel thirsty as normally when you are thirsty you are already slightly dehydrated. Also try to drink when you feel hungry since our bodies tend to confuse thirst with hunger.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    A trick I used to up the water intake when I was pregnant and battling swelling due to water retention was to drink a glass of water after every time I used the bathroom. Made for lots of trips to the bathroom but it did help tremendously and I was definitely getting in more than the recommended 8 glasses!
  • Thanks for the tips! I am shooting for 8 c. today!!!