Any smokers?

Options

Replies

• mdepko
    mdepko Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I was about a 2 pack a day smoker up until 2 months ago. I quit cold turkey and I have still been able to lose 20lbs during that time. It has helped immensely that I am on MFP and was doing the weight loss thing before I quit. The first couple days were the hardest for me, but I must have been ready because it was a lot easier than I expected it to be. I also limited/avoided alcohol for the first month because I knew that would be a trigger. After a month, you start realizing how much money you're saving as well as how much better your feeling and the desire decreased that much more.
  • danika2point0
    danika2point0 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking 9 months ago and have lost weight since (not gained). I went to an Allen Carr's The Easy Way clinic. AMAZING.

My opinions on this....If you go into it thinking it will be a struggle, it will be. If you go into it thinking you might fail, you probably will. The only way I was able to quit was to realize that I was stopping. I wasn't TRYING to stop. I was simply DOING it. Also, I was not giving up anything. I was freeing myself from something terrible that only had illusionary benefits. I am trying to use the same method (The Easy Way) to get off of purely unhealthy junk food. It is VERY successful. Once you take away the ILLUSION that something is good or pleasurable, you see it as it truly is = poison to your body. All of this being said, if someone had said, "Danika, you can quit smoking today but you will gain 15 pounds", I would have gladly done it right then and there. Every single day, I am a happier person for having quit. Also, you should not gain weight. Just do NOT replace cigarettes with any other food or drink (drink water). Also, you will be able to work out EXTRA hard. I can now run for an hour straight without stopping or having a cherry red face.

I wish you the best of luck and if you want a new friend, add me!

XxX Danika
  • alecialudwickjones
    Options
    I should quit. I only share the husbands cigarettes when he's home and even then I'm on HIM about smoking too much.
  • fat_harrie
    fat_harrie Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I stopped cold turkey in November and started to gain so joined MFP and lost a bit. I will admit to smoking on nights out recently but have set rules about when I smoke. The thing is though, it takes me a full week to recover from a couple of ciggies on the weekend, so I think I have to cut them out again. But there are some days when all I can think about is a ciggie! I even had the really vivid dreams about smoking and some really wierd things! lol. They are actually worth quitting the gigs on thier own! lol
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking June 2010, up till then I smoked 20 a day. I used Champix to help me quit.

I actually started my weight loss journey and getting healthier in Jan 2010, so quitting the *kitten* was a logical next step. I did find it hard to stop and I did gain some of the weight I'd lost previously (can't remember how much), but overall the long term benefits of quitting *kitten* are worth it!

I still get the occasional craving, but a few whiffs of those smoking outside pubs and restaurants and that's more than enough, because in the next breath it turns my stomach. Good luck with giving up!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I once read this quote:

"Never do two hard things at once." It was a book about fasting, and how you shouldn't fast during stressful times, if you can help it. But, I think it applies here, as well.

Of course I advocate quitting, but, maybe you can hold off until you have the diet and exercise under control? Or quit, then work on diet and exercise?
    Why make the process more difficult than necessary? If you make it so stressfull you can't handle it, you won't succeed on either front.
  • goonas
    goonas Posts: 205
    Options
    I hate hearing the excuse of "but I'll put on weight"

Surely its better to live longer but slightly bigger than live shorter and thinner?

And plus if you live longer you have more time to lose the weight!
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I smoked for 37 years and stopped 3 years ago. I used patches for the first 3 weeks then cold turkey. I put on some weight but only because I chose to concentrate on stopping smoking. I have been up and down the scales since I stopped but am now well on the way to permanent weight loss and improved fitness
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I hate hearing the excuse of "but I'll put on weight"

Surely its better to live longer but slightly bigger than live shorter and thinner?

And plus if you live longer you have more time to lose the weight!
    :drinker:
  • goonas
    goonas Posts: 205
    Options
    Another thing to add, is that when you quit smoking you can do more at the gym/exercise, push your body harder, run faster, cycle longer etc so you'll lose weight / inches.

I don't think some people realise just how much smoking can take hold of your life and hold you back.

Like I put earlier the biggest regret was I didn't stop sooner - I smoked for approx 16 years.
  • Pnuke77
    Pnuke77 Posts: 23
    Options
    I'm on my second quit right now. First time I stopped for 2 years and got into the best shape of my life. Whenever I craved a Cig I just went for a long run or just headed for the gym and ended up going from a chubby 240 to 195 @10%BF. Like a big idiot I started smoking again and gained it all back +5 in a year. Currently on my 3 week smoke free and back in the gym. Both times I actually lost weight
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    I was a smoker, now I am a runner, YEAH!
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Those of you who have quit smoking and cut down are awesome. I don't think it is easy to quit just like stopping any bad habit is not easy, but it is worth it. My bad habit is overindulging in food, and I really need to quit that, but I am making progress in that.

Good job!
  • rsimoneau1
    rsimoneau1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I quit on Ash Wednesday of this year. Since that day, I have lost 43 pounds. I started running on April 2nd, (the day after Easter), and have steadily racked up 154.67 miles, and am on my scond pair of running shoes.

I smoke a cigar or two on weekends still, and find that it is not interfering with my running routines.

I've struggled with cigarettes since I was 16.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Those of you who have quit smoking and cut down are awesome. I don't think it is easy to quit just like stopping any bad habit is not easy, but it is worth it. My bad habit is overindulging in food, and I really need to quit that, but I am making progress in that.

Good job!
    I used to joke that quitting smoking was the easiest thing I ever did, I used to do it 10-20 times a day!!! I have quit many times this is my second time for over 6 months. The one thing that is always present when i succeed for longer periods is a deep want to quit. If a person has any doubt in themselves it makes it very difficult to recover from any addiction!!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Quitting is not a whole lot different than deciding to eat healthier and lose weight.

If you analyze it too enough...you can come up with lots of reasons why you can't do it...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRfFtpv9IswyisLlHyIP3eqKtZy90L6NluWXCSxLiCGtt_CmfGyCb27d9M
  • amypomm
    amypomm Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I quit over a month ago. Im still losing four pounds a month with out smoking. If I feel the urge to smoke I go for a walk or eat cherry tomatoes.
  • laurenc42
    laurenc42 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    i smoked a pack and a half a day. I'm doing pretty good I've had 4 in the last 3 days. I'm trying not to be miserable trying not to be grumpy. I've got this.
    The 4 I've had are at work. Break time is really hard.
  • bryionak
    bryionak Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    My last big weight gain was when I quit July 2011. I went from about 210 to 230. I quit using an e-cig and didn't smoke for about 8 months. I started smoking again and am keeping to about 6 - 7 cigs a day but am telling myself everyday I am going to quit. I think it is going to happen soon. I have recently completed couch to 5k and want to run more, faster, and longer distances and quitting smoking will help that.
  • mdepko
    mdepko Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I quit over 2 months ago and have continued to lose (over 20lbs), you can do it if you are determined enough.