Marathon Training- Cross Training??

Options
I'm starting to train for a marathon next week and one of my days is to cross train. I've been an avid runner for about 2 years so I'm good to go on that front; however, I've never been good at making sure I incorporate other exercises to cross train my body (I know, I know... :noway: ).

I don't want to be stuck only doing cycling or swimming.... any other ideas for what do to on my cross-training day??

Replies

• boarderstu
    boarderstu Posts: 31
    Options
    Maybe try some weights? Legs/Chest/Arms and back?

I'm training for a Ironman, and I've found it helps to keep the weight off!
  • kahyee
    kahyee Posts: 63
    Options
    Congratulations on deciding to run a marathon. Ran my first in March and it's not for the faint hearted, that's for sure. I cross-trained two days a week by doing some weight lifting (not heavy weights) and ab training. I didn't do any cardio on those days. It seemed to work for me. Besides cycling and swimming, have you tried the rowing machine?
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Lift weights. prevents losing your current lean muscle. Swimming/cycling is just more cardio.
  • veraprice
    veraprice Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I found that doing a whole body P90X workout did the trick for me. It only takes about an hour and you dont even have to leave the house, the best part was that I could roll out of bed knock it out and carry on with the rest of my day.
  • whatjesseats
    whatjesseats Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Yoga and strength training.
  • camibadman
    camibadman Posts: 8
    Options
    I didn't really think about weight training... I will definitely do that also. We have a rowing maching at my gym so that's a great idea too! And good luck training for Ironman-- holy cow.

Congrats to you too, Kahyee!! Any tips, for being successful? The training doesn't really intimidate me, but the big picture certainly does. I will need some motivation to keep me going 'til the end!!
  • kippty
    kippty Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Maybe try rollerblading! It's lots of fun and works muscles in your legs that don't get as much attention when running.
  • kahyee
    kahyee Posts: 63
    Options
    Definitely do one long run per week. I followed a training plan that progressively got up to 20 miles.
    Map the route of the actual marathon and run portions of it as often as you can, if it's close to where you live.
    Do hill training at least once a week, even if the marathon you're running is flat.
    Above all else, make sure you nutrition and hydration is on point. That was my biggest mistake, I had too many off nutrition days and my running would be affected.

If you have any other questions, just message me.